Texas Was Warned a Decade Ago Its Grid Was Unready for Cold

This is the third time this has happened.

It comes down to deregulation. The people of Texas want no regulations so this is what they get.

Their electricity is privatized. There are no regulations or any consequences for not upgrading and winterizing. There are suggestions. That's it.

So because it's all privatized profit is put first. Not human life. Thus people are dying in Texas because profit for a private company is more important.

That last time it happened the federal government did an assessment, gave the state a report of what is wrong and how to fix it. The state and the private companies did nothing.

This is going to keep happening because money is more important than human life in Texas.

The people of Texas aren't willing to pay what it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again. The private companies aren't willing to pay what it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Yet where did the Texans run quickly run to first?

You guessed it, the federal government. Biden is sending help. I thought the scariest words in the English language were "I'm from the federal government and here to help." Whatever happened to that conservative "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and " take personal responsibility?"

What happened to "Manmade Global Warming "? Was that just a total fabrication?

• Love
Reactions: cnm
Pretty sure my not Texas power grid is going to fail me in the next 24-36 hours when the ice man cometh to Virginia. In the mean time, Californians are being warned now about the stupidity of their grid and overregulation of suppliers so it all averages out in the karma.
I live in CA and the only stupidity here is our government regulated utility who uses government regs to grow their personal coffers instead of upgrading and burying existing transmission lines. This has led to catastrophic fires caused by sparking wires and lawsuits in the Billions by ambulance-chasing lawyers lead by that nuke chick that have naturally negatively impacted utility bills for consumers.
Also, the environmentalists have seized power and have been systematically prohibiting the clearing of fuel loaded forests that were once kept away from electrical installations.

Bottom line, for a consumer that is not rich, there is no alternative but to pay outrageous power bills and have their power shut off when the wind blows. Even an owned net metering system is tied to the utility and the utility pays less for power generated by net metering systems than what they charge the consumer. It's another government clusterfuck.

Well technically there is an alternative. The government requires the providers subsidize alternative suppliers and prioritize "green" energy which eats into their ability to even maintain what they have, let alone do something like go underground since when they aren't doing that, they are being held strictly liable for acts of god like wind damage starting fires.

It comes down to deregulation. The people of Texas want no regulations so this is what they get.

Their electricity is privatized. There are no regulations or any consequences for not upgrading and winterizing. There are suggestions. That's it.

So because it's all privatized profit is put first. Not human life. Thus people are dying in Texas because profit for a private company is more important.

That last time it happened the federal government did an assessment, gave the state a report of what is wrong and how to fix it. The state and the private companies did nothing.

This is going to keep happening because money is more important than human life in Texas.

The people of Texas aren't willing to pay what it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again. The private companies aren't willing to pay what it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again.

You guessed it, the federal government. Biden is sending help. I thought the scariest words in the English language were "I'm from the federal government and here to help." Whatever happened to that conservative "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and " take personal responsibility?"

I have no sympathy for them electing republicans.

Last edited:
Why is it freezing windmills in Taxas?
Were'nt we told to prepare for global warming?
You confuse climate with weather. Global warming doesn't mean you don't have frigid days in winter.
Global warming actually results in extremes of weather - both heat and cold, both drought and precipitation. Storms become more extreme. This is all proved by the evidence before our eyes in the last few decades. We used to have 100 year floods, we are now having such 100 year floods every decade or more. Last year the hurricane season was so long and so full of storms they ran out the standard alphabet for naming the storms. This extreme weather event we are currently experiencing is from the polar vortex being pushed far down into the southern US, something that was very rare but is becoming much more frequent with overall global warming - the warming, which warms the ocean and melts the ice caps, is throwing all the predictable patterns of air stream into chaos. This is not terribly complex and there are many resources available which explain it fairly comprehensively yet simply enough for the average Joe to understand - but only IF s/he isn’t already brainwashed by anti science propaganda to a knee jerk reactionary position. ‘Oh it’s icing or snowing this week - global warming must be a hoax!’
As to Texas; I lived 30 minutes south of Canada on the plains of Montana and the windmills operated there in extreme freezing cold conditions. My natural gas fired heat stayed on in -50 conditions. Why? Because the energy infrastructure was designed for weather extremes. The utilities spent a little bit more for windmill blades and housings that were able to tolerate such conditions, and same for all the other energy infrastructure. Texas had a choice and chose badly. Had they listened to science they would have grasped that the future was going to include more and more weather events such as the one they are experiencing now, and they would have taken the lessons from the last time and prepared appropriately by upgrading infrastructure.
All of this is playing out exactly as the climate scientists have warned for decades. It will keep playing out this way, beating us over the head with the frying pan of extreme floods, wildfires, ice storms, droughts and the tens of billions in property damage and the incalculable cost of human lives lost. THIS IS GLOBAL WARMING! WAKE THE FUCK UP!
I’m sure all those climate scientists feel the same as all of us who trusted their science - ZERO JOY at being proved right. Just grief over the senseless loss of life and destruction of lives and persistence of willful ignorance that means it will just keep happening over and over and over.

But but but but....

FREE-DUMB!!!!!
FPL_Aspen.jpg

Last edited:
It's always cheaper in the end to spend more on quality equipment that can handle bad weather. Sounds like the companies are responsible for this mess. Hold them accountable and punish correctly.

The whole damned country is in this kind of shape for God's sakes.
Not where I am at colder and still have electric. Huh I wonder how that happened.

Which other states are having the massive power outages that Texas is suffering through?

If they had 29 million people and what, 20-25M households all turning on the heater at the same time...their grid would be damaged too.

Texas is a shot hole of epic proportions....its the 7th grader who's 18 years old and thinks it's funny that he can't advance to the 8th grade and swears the system is wrong; not him.

But hell...it just got cold. Nobody will remember this in a week.

Infrastructure-wise; Texas flooding is the real chronic disaster. There will be flooding in Houston again this Summer like there always is. It was that way in the 80's when I lived there. They haven't fixed a thing in 40 years. But the governors have all "cut spending to the bone."
Texas isn't the only state that got cold. Poor planning has caused lots of problems in Texas. Our current problem and flooding are just two of those problems.

29M people is hard to prepare for...just saying.

The flooding is a yearly issue and that is poor planning.

Only Texans are blaming their problem on green energy. See the difference? They wanted to secede when a black man became POTUS. Go already!

Only Texans are blaming their problem on green energy. See the difference? They wanted to secede when a black man became POTUS. Go already!
I don't blame them. You god damned liberals are fleeing your hell holes and moving there. Ruining everything. Stay in your GD shit holes you rotten MF pos.

Not where I am at colder and still have electric. Huh I wonder how that happened.
I meant our electric grid. We don't have many liberals where I live. We have no problems of any kind.Just where liberals live are shit holes. God if I would have listened to liberals I would have a boss my entire life. What a waste of a life.'

Electricity is “privatized” all over the country, and the two biggest companies are in California, you fucking moron.

Privatized but not deregulated.

I meant our electric grid. We don't have many liberals where I live. We have no problems of any kind.Just where liberals live are shit holes. God if I would have listened to liberals I would have a boss my entire life. What a waste of a life.'
Yet Zus lib we liberals have power and idiot repugs don't imagine that. Hillarious

Yet Zus lib we liberals have power and idiot repugs don't imagine that. Hillarious
We have more natural gas that comes out of Gore and Kerry's mouth in a day here. We have more electricity than we can handle. Utility crews that fix things immediately. We ain't Californiaaaa...lolol. I lived my life with few liberals, and it has been so wonderful. We know how to govern here.

We have more natural gas that comes out of Gore and Kerry's mouth in a day here. We have more electricity than we can handle. Utility crews that fix things immediately. We ain't Californiaaaa...lolol. I lived my life with few liberals, and it has been so wonderful. We know how to govern here.
Yet with all that millions freeze due to miss management. Hillarious . State full of incompetent fucks

Forum List

Back