Texas Twister Near Houston, Texas

A tornado hit my farm about 5 years ago, but the next door property--my neighbor had his entire roof ripped off in his 5,000 square foot beautiful home. :(
I was lucky, We'd just put a heavy metal roof on a couple of years earlier, but my fence took a hit for 60 yards along the north border between their house and mine. The twister centered itself over my property, and I was praying that God help me. I'm convinced he listens to widows in our years of misery after losing a beloved husband. My damages were around $800 for immediate fence replacement along the twister's path, and never mind my roof leaked for a season or two until I finally got it repaired by professionals, and it still leaked. My brother came up one weekend and located the leaks and fixed it in a couple of hours. what a blessing he is to me.

❤️🤍💙
I guess that's why a tornado gets under my nails enough to recall my moment of terror back then, which tends to give us a heightened sense of God's mercy. A lot of people were on the road when last evening's tornado hit. I know the survivors will be concerned about nature's mischief for years to come. I'll never forget the sound of my little farmhouse being in the epicenter of a tornado where in spite of the clutter encircling it, the noise was definitely not like any other noise, except by the windblast of such a circular gale.

Last edited:
A tornado hit my farm about 5 years ago, but the next door property--my neighbor had his entire roof ripped off in his 5,000 square foot beautiful home. :(
One night a tornado knocked down my old mulberry tree in my back yard. That pissed me off. I loved using those mulberries for biscuits and pancakes. Or just eating them right off the tree.

I think if I lived in Tornado Alley, I'd build a dwelling into the side of a hill.

In FL we get tornados, but never that big. To me big tornados are scarier than a hurricane.

Also the winds are much faster.

One night a tornado knocked down my old mulberry tree in my back yard. That pissed me off. I loved using those mulberries for biscuits and pancakes. Or just eating them right off the tree.
Oh, my goodness. Mulberries get such a good rating in the healthiest of good fruits. I hope you replanted the tree or will early springtime this year so you can enjoy them sometime in the future.

Oh, my goodness. Mulberries get such a good rating in the healthiest of good fruits. I hope you replanted the tree or will early springtime this year so you can enjoy them sometime in the future.

We had a couple of mullberry trees, growing up. Used to pig out on those things, bugs and all.

I planted some saplings but it can take a decade or more before they bear any fruit.

I think if I lived in Tornado Alley, I'd build a dwelling into the side of a hill.

In FL we get tornados, but never that big. To me big tornados are scarier than a hurricane.

Also the winds are much faster.
Houston is not Tornado Alley. Additionally, the water table is such that digging a basement is a problem.

Tornados aren't super common in that area though they obviously do happen.
When the storm hit my side of town I just stayed in bed and read a book.
We did get enough rain for the pool to overflow but thats about it.
Yes usually they are related to hurricanes. That's a terrible secret of hurricanes, all through them they spin up microtornadoes. Of course a strong Cat 4/5 is a tornado the size of Massachusetts.

Houston is not Tornado Alley. Additionally, the water table is such that digging a basement is a problem.
It's in that path, Oh! Slightly south? Yeah, weather don't care. True Story.

Sounds just like like that Mar-A-Lago basement. Or any basement in FL that's not on the ridge. ;)

I planted some saplings but it can take a decade or more before they bear any fruit.
That puts you in the highest bracket of human caring--that posterity will benefit from your gift of life to trees that provide the best nutrition to whoever owns the land where the trees are after you let go of it. Hopefully you will enjoy the fruits of your labor. I must've been born under a missing star. I planted 8 pecan trees just before a drought took out six of them. I have not harvested a single pecan 12 years later from the two surviving trees. For some reason, I think that every year, the birds or squirrels may be committing a little larceny. :71:

Forum List

Back