Houston’s Democratic mayor reveals the Texas city is BROKE with a $160 MILLION deficit and has stopped the city from paying firefighters

I think your comment about the leadership was the point of the OP as for the journalistic integrity, take it up with them.
Trump has been pointing that out for at least seven years.
Definitely shitty leadership, and not new, but sustained, digging the hole deeper over the years. The article speaking of the Covid money masking the problem is BS, similar to contractors getting in trouble using the new project to pay for past projects, only act major city management level, their are accountants involved and elected leaders not wanting to read the financials, much less the writing on the walls. In actuality, I the fireman aspect is a good draw for the newspaper headline, but I doubt those folks have missed a paycheck and probably will not. Like I mentioned, there are lots of cities and towns that would love to pick up Texas certified firefighters, and they would leave in droves. Now, that would be a story Red Texas Cities Welcome Firefighters From Blue Houston With Open Arms, As Houston Hangs On To It Art Collection.

1711599847174.png

~S~

'COVID really silenced the conversation because we got so much money from the federal government that we were able to make our budgets work, but really, this problem started 20 years ago, almost a quarter of a century ago, with the pension funds,' John Diamond, Center for Public Finance Director at Rice University, told KTRK.

And guess what the mayor wants to apply a 5% across the board cuts to?

You guessed it - Pension Funds for firefighters, police, and other city employees.

If you look at any city around the country, most of them face budget issues because?

You guessed it - Pension funds for firefighters, police, and other city workers.

These pension funds are unsustainable, and have to be revamped. There are police and firefighters that are jobs less than a year, and get pension money for a strained back, and many of these same "heros' are double dipping from other jurisdictions, and in some cases have been fired from other departments, and get new jobs in another city.

There is no bigger welfare queen on the planet than city, and state employees with their overly generous pension funds, that prevent all of these cities from being able to provide other needed services to it's citizens.

All of Americas mayors need to have a summit, and completely redo the pension system for it's workers. The first being that if you don't have 20 years of service, there is no pension. And if you "strain your back", you can get workers compensation like everybody else, if you are out of work long enough. And if you are a jurisdiction hopper to try and double dip, that shit don't fly no more. If you hop from place to place, there is no pension for job injury, and unless you've got 20 years, there are no pension benefits for you.

All of these local government employees can get matched 401Ks like their private counterparts up to 6% of their pay, so if they retire early, that is what they will have to live on, unless they have another job lined up. You know. Like everybody else.
Perhaps that is true. The irony is though they do most of their dangerous work in heavily Prog voting neighborhoods. And it seems not to change over the years and decades.

You will note that EVERY city and State controlled by Democrats is not just in financial ruin, but crime riddled cesspools with taxpayers fleeing.

Last Republican Mayor of Houston was 1982.

Note you need Brit news to talk about the facts.

Take all the city money going to migrants and give it to the firefighters instead

You will note that EVERY city and State controlled by Democrats is not just in financial ruin, but crime riddled cesspools with taxpayers fleeing.

Last Republican Mayor of Houston was 1982.

Note you need Brit news to talk about the facts.

These people are such clueless nutjobs. Bring on a bunch of liberal/progressive policies which destroy the city's budget, and to get the budget back in line, let's defund the police and the fire department.

I may be wrong (of course), but I seem to remember reading that Houston's problems really started after many ladies and gentlemen moved there after Hurricane Katrina.

If you ain't Texican you ain't cow manure, with the little beetle that rolls that excrement into balls.
This is true.

Houston can't hear you over its low unemployment. They have a $400MM surplus currently.

This is true.

Houston can't hear you over its low unemployment.
I almost went college there in 1980 because it was one of two colleges offering live TV production studios, I ended up at NEO AM so I didn't have to pay out of state tuition and I always hated Texans being as I am from Okiehoma.

I almost went college there in 1980 because it was one of two colleges offering live TV production studios, I ended up at NEO AM so I didn't have to pay out of state tuition and I always hated Texans being as I am from Okiehoma.
You're just jealous because we are the gateway to New Mexico.

Forum List

Back