Texas Republicans’ Gerrymandering Scheme Just Took A Beating In Court

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The court confirmed that “Texas intentionally discriminated to disenfranchise Latino and African-American voters,” the DNC chair said.

A panel of federal judges in San Antonio ruled Friday that some of Texas’ congressional districts are unconstitutional or violate the Voting Rights Act.

A 2-1 majority in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas decided that the Texas legislature must redraw Texas’ 23rd, 27th and 35th Congressional Districts. The 23rd and 27th districts are represented by Republicans, while the 35th is represented by a Democrat.

“This Court finds that map-drawers acted with an impermissible intent to dilute minority voting strength or otherwise violated the Fourteenth Amendment,” judges Xavier Rodriguez and Orlando Garcia wrote in their opinion.

In January, a federal court ordered the Wisconsin legislatures to redraw their legislative districts so they do not favor Republicans as much.

And a federal court ruled in January that 12 of Alabama’s legislative districts were unconstitutional due to their racial makeup as well.

More: Texas Republicans' Gerrymandering Scheme Just Took A Beating In Court

Should gerrymandering be outlawed - regardless of whether the intentions are honorable or dishonorable?

A couple beaners used their bench to try and rewrite the laws instead of letting the intent of the people who voted the for the GOP stand.

They will be over turned. Libtard courts like the 9th circus regularly are.

Most gerrymandering in the South was done to enhance minority representation.
You are so dumb. It was done to put minorities as majorities in a very few districts, thus diluting their power elsewhere. Let's move on.

Ho hum, and major yawn. Gerrymandering districts has been going on for decades, and every time it occurs the offended party feigns outrage. And when their turn comes to redistrict, guess what, they gerrymander.

A couple beaners used their bench to try and rewrite the laws instead of letting the intent of the people who voted the for the GOP stand.

They will be over turned. Libtard courts like the 9th circus regularly are.

Texas is in the 5th district.

Wisconsin in the 7th.

the-american-legal-system-an-overview-15-728.jpg

Ho hum, and major yawn. Gerrymandering districts has been going on for decades, and every time it occurs the offended party feigns outrage. And when their turn comes to redistrict, guess what, they gerrymander.

Actually NO. Republicans gerrymander so much and so blatantly, the federal courts have sited them more than anybody else.

Actually NO. Republicans gerrymander so much and so blatantly, the federal courts have sited them more than anybody else.

Leave it to an idiot to make a claim and conveniently leave out any evidence to back it up. Poor sap.

The court confirmed that “Texas intentionally discriminated to disenfranchise Latino and African-American voters,” the DNC chair said.

A panel of federal judges in San Antonio ruled Friday that some of Texas’ congressional districts are unconstitutional or violate the Voting Rights Act.

A 2-1 majority in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas decided that the Texas legislature must redraw Texas’ 23rd, 27th and 35th Congressional Districts. The 23rd and 27th districts are represented by Republicans, while the 35th is represented by a Democrat.

“This Court finds that map-drawers acted with an impermissible intent to dilute minority voting strength or otherwise violated the Fourteenth Amendment,” judges Xavier Rodriguez and Orlando Garcia wrote in their opinion.

In January, a federal court ordered the Wisconsin legislatures to redraw their legislative districts so they do not favor Republicans as much.

And a federal court ruled in January that 12 of Alabama’s legislative districts were unconstitutional due to their racial makeup as well.

More: Texas Republicans' Gerrymandering Scheme Just Took A Beating In Court

Should gerrymandering be outlawed - regardless of whether the intentions are honorable or dishonorable?

What a crock of shit, it will be overturned at the 5th. The say the 23rd Congressional District isn't a fucking latino opportunity district even though it contains a majority minority population. I guess they just don't vote the way the commiecrats want. Typical commie BS.

Edit: this is the guy representing the 23rd CD.

will hurd.jpeg

Last edited:
You are so dumb. It was done to put minorities as majorities in a very few districts, thus diluting their power elsewhere. Let's move on.

I guess it's a "cup half full" kinda thing but some districts were drawn up to combine several smaller black communities so they'd get a representative. Otherwise, they would have been a small fraction of a larger white district. I know that was true in Georgia because I lived in one of those districts.

I personally don't like gerrymandering. I would rather just divide districts on a grid and let the chips fall where they may. But they don't leave those decisions to me.

Texas is in the 5th district.

Wisconsin in the 7th.

the-american-legal-system-an-overview-15-728.jpg

I know that.

I said libturd courts LIKE the 9th circus get overturned a lot.

Just like bed wetter "judges" (they should be called anti-constitution activist lawyers, NOT judges) undermine the will of the people more than anyone else.

I guess it's a "cup half full" kinda thing but some districts were drawn up to combine several smaller black communities so they'd get a representative. Otherwise, they would have been a small fraction of a larger white district. I know that was true in Georgia because I lived in one of those districts.

I personally don't like gerrymandering. I would rather just divide districts on a grid and let the chips fall where they may. But they don't leave those decisions to me.

Some states do leave the decision to you. CA for example. The voters didn't like their gerrymandered districts so they did something about it.

California Citizens Redistricting Commission - Wikipedia

Just like bed wetter "judges" (they should be called anti-constitution activist lawyers, NOT judges) undermine the will of the people more than anyone else.

Isn't that a description of how electoral votes work?

Republicans classically, reference Tom DeLay in Texas, who redrew districts so that minority votes were either concentrated into a couple of districts, or purposefully diluted with the overall outcome being to produce the greatest number of republican districts, and fewest number of democratic districts. Six districts were declared unconstitutional as a result.

You haven't noticed what has happened the last 20 or so years, have you?

Minorities are often the 'swing' votes in a community divided between republican and democrat, but leaning republican. Taking them out of the equation, improves the republicans chances, while lumping them into a mega minority districts only concedes a small number of house seats.

Forum List

Back