Tennessee House Approves Bill To Make Bible Official State Book

What is wrong with the bible being a state book?

It violates Tennessee's state constitution which declares '"no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religion establishment or mode of worship."
How does it give preference? Does it make people read it? Or follow it?

According to the State Attorney General of Tennessee, 'state symbols, such as the designation of milk as the official state beverage, "inherently carry the imprimatur and endorsement of the government."

So per Tennessee's Attorney General, yes it does.

Then the courts will have to decide I guess.

What is wrong with the bible being a state book?

It violates Tennessee's state constitution which declares '"no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religion establishment or mode of worship."
How does it give preference? Does it make people read it? Or follow it?

According to the State Attorney General of Tennessee, 'state symbols, such as the designation of milk as the official state beverage, "inherently carry the imprimatur and endorsement of the government."

So per Tennessee's Attorney General, yes it does.

Then the courts will have to decide I guess.

Per the Attorney General, they largely already have:

Tennessee Attorney General said:
“It is our legal opinion that the bill would violate not only the First Amendment of the United States Constitution but the Tennessee Constitution as well. Interestingly, the Tennessee Supreme Court has held the Tennessee Constitution to be more restrictive than the federal Constitution,” Attorney General Slatery said. The Tennessee Constitution says “no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment or mode of worship..

.....The Tennessee Supreme Court has characterized this constitutional protection against religious establishment as "substantially stronger" than the protection afforded by the Establishment Clause of the federal Constitution. State ex rel. Comm'r of Transp. v. Eagle, 63S.W.3d 734,761 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2001) citingCarden v. Bland, 288 S.W.2d 718,721 (Tenn. 1956).

Its gonna be hard to argue that official endorsement by the State as the State Book doesn't constitute and endorsement by and a preference demonstrated by the State.

Especially to the Supreme Court of Tennesee which holds that the Tennessee State establishment clause is far stronger than the federal one.

Will other NaziCon (red) states follow Tennessee's lead?

uo53b2f460.jpg
As the US draws nearer to a theocracy. The same folks who fear Iran want to become more like them.

n-BIBLE-large570.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn., April 15 (Reuters) - Tennessee state legislators on Wednesday advanced a bill to make the Bible the official state book, a measure the state attorney general said would be unconstitutional and Republican Governor Bill Haslam has called disrespectful.

The Republican-controlled state House of Representatives voted 55-38 to approve the Bible as state book. A companion bill could be considered as soon as Thursday in the state Senate, where Republicans hold 28 seats to five for Democrats.

Representative Bud Hulsey, a Republican, told colleagues in support of the bill it is worth the fight "now more than ever."

Other Republican representatives opposed the bill, citing concerns about how Tennessee might be perceived and the cost of defending it against legal challenges.

"The controversy will not end in this chamber," Representative Martin Daniel said. "If we pass this, we're going to be ridiculed."

More: Tennessee House Approves Bill To Make Bible Official State Book

Yes, you will be ridiculed - starting with me!

Nothing unconstitutional about it unless they mandate that everyone reads it. I love to see when libs get their panties in a twist over nothing.

A HuffPo link? Sorry.

Meanwhile the Dems are trying to pass The Communist Manifesto.

Dear dumbass - it's a Reuters article.
Why did you post a HuffPo link? Trying to bump up their traffic? I know you dipsticks repuke their shit here.

Because HuffPost is a clearinghouse for various articles. Are you really that stupid?
Make that "HuffPo is a clearinghouse for various articles that overwhelmingly favor or reinforce the perspective of The Left."

All fixed.

Why does any state need a State Book? This is a complete waste of time by the state legislature. Surely they have actual issues to deal with in Tennessee.

My state is considering making one of that pervert Ken Kesey's books our state book..."Sometimes a Great Notion".

Oh brother.

n-BIBLE-large570.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn., April 15 (Reuters) - Tennessee state legislators on Wednesday advanced a bill to make the Bible the official state book, a measure the state attorney general said would be unconstitutional and Republican Governor Bill Haslam has called disrespectful.

The Republican-controlled state House of Representatives voted 55-38 to approve the Bible as state book. A companion bill could be considered as soon as Thursday in the state Senate, where Republicans hold 28 seats to five for Democrats.

Representative Bud Hulsey, a Republican, told colleagues in support of the bill it is worth the fight "now more than ever."

Other Republican representatives opposed the bill, citing concerns about how Tennessee might be perceived and the cost of defending it against legal challenges.

"The controversy will not end in this chamber," Representative Martin Daniel said. "If we pass this, we're going to be ridiculed."

The reason that atheists attack Christianity so viciously is because they fear it. It is the exact opposite of everything they believe. It is a threat to them, and they know it. Ultimately, they will lose this fight. Jesus Christ is Lord of all Creation. Suckers. You have no clue who you're messing with.

n-BIBLE-large570.jpg

The reason that atheists attack Christianity so viciously is because they fear it. It is the exact opposite of everything they believe. It is a threat to them, and they know it. Ultimately, they will lose this fight. Jesus Christ is Lord of all Creation. Suckers. You have no clue who you're messing with.
Precisely!

And sometimes I feel a little guilt for the joy it brings me to think of baby killing scum who target Christians .....lined up at the day of Judgement.

I know I shouldn't be happy about their sentence.

But I am. And it's something I have to ask for forgiveness for on a regular basis.

And sometimes I feel a little guilt for the joy it brings me to think of baby killing scum who target Christians .....lined up at the day of Judgement.

But I am. And it's something I have to ask for forgiveness for on a regular basis.
The Bible says that unbelievers will be thrown into the lake of fire. Litterally. it is such a terrible place. When they see it, they will fight to prevent the inevitable. Thus the need to be physically town into it. I find no joy in the prospect of one going to Hell. Call it a sense of satisfaction. Of justice done. Maybe that's what you're feeling. Nothing wrong with that.

n-BIBLE-large570.jpg

Nothing unconstitutional about it unless they mandate that everyone reads it. I love to see when libs get their panties in a twist over nothing.

The Attorney General of Tennessee is a 'liberal'?

The Bible says that unbelievers will be thrown into the lake of fire. Litterally. it is such a terrible place. When they see it, they will fight to prevent the inevitable. Thus the need to be physically town into it. I find no joy in the prospect of one going to Hell. Call it a sense of satisfaction. Of justice done. Maybe that's what you're feeling. Nothing wrong with that.
Lake of fire? Where do you suppose that lake exists?

Forum List

Back