Tennessee governor signs law to outlaw certain types of rioting, vandalism, and violence

Sounds to me the actions of a bunch of cowards. If this is a good thing why the need to do it without letting people know?

The rioters, looters, murderers, pillagers are cowards and completely worthless.

They aren't the ones hiding behind closed doors. They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.........unlike these politicians.
you people LOVE criminals for some reason
EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott
etc etc etc --every one a jackass thug criminal

Police officers are not prosecutors and executioners.

Neither am I, but if somebody presents me with the threat of serious bodily harm or death, I have the right to be a prosecutor and executioner. It's called our law.

Which wasn't the case in most of those cases. Most of those were even minor infractions.

Most of them were unintentional accidents. Every one could have been avoided if the suspect obeyed all orders of the police officers. That's what starts these problems 99.9% of the time. When a person resists arrest, what do you want to police to do, tell him perhaps another time when he's in a better mood? What if a suspect runs? Do you want the cops to just stand there and watch him go?

Depends on what he was wanted for. Michael Slager is in prison for shooting a man in the back over a broken tail light. He had his car. Yes, let him run off as opposed to shooting him in the back.

Like you said, he's in prison for it too. The officer should have ran after him to subdue him. But these kinds of incidents happen to a fraction of 1% of our police force on a national level.

I don't know what this guy did or what he was up to, but nobody runs from a police officer over a broken tail light. Even though the guy is dead and the officer in jail, he'd still be alive today most likely if he didn't run at all.

Even though the system has found the officer guilty you still find this need to make excuses and defend him.

I do? Please quote where I defended him.

Sounds to me the actions of a bunch of cowards. If this is a good thing why the need to do it without letting people know?

The rioters, looters, murderers, pillagers are cowards and completely worthless.

They aren't the ones hiding behind closed doors. They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.........unlike these politicians.

Their beliefs are communism and marxism. They can go to hell.

You are the one arguing for a police state.

Not at all. Im for law and order and against communism and marxism. You're for communism?

I'm for what this country is supposed to stand for but really never has. A fair and just justice system.

So whats unjust about it? Take the Floyd case. Although not intentional, they charged the officer with murder before an investigation even started. All police shootings are investigated, and if there is a death involved, investigated by several agencies. If it's a genuine case of possible civil rights violations, it's even investigated by the FBI. So what's unjust about any of it?

For years the lies presented by the cops were simply accepted no questions asked. It still happens.

When? The 1960's? No. All suspect deaths are thoroughly investigated. They bring in investigators, they bring in outside agencies like the Sherrif's department, adjoining city detectives, forensic scientists, all of them. Nobody just takes a police officers word for anything. If you know of such a case, then post a link to it.

I just did. The officer lied in an official capacity. He's suing the person he lied about and wasn't fired.

Not at all. Im for law and order and against communism and marxism. You're for communism?

I'm for what this country is supposed to stand for but really never has. A fair and just justice system.

So whats unjust about it? Take the Floyd case. Although not intentional, they charged the officer with murder before an investigation even started. All police shootings are investigated, and if there is a death involved, investigated by several agencies. If it's a genuine case of possible civil rights violations, it's even investigated by the FBI. So what's unjust about any of it?

For years the lies presented by the cops were simply accepted no questions asked. It still happens.

When? The 1960's? No. All suspect deaths are thoroughly investigated. They bring in investigators, they bring in outside agencies like the Sherrif's department, adjoining city detectives, forensic scientists, all of them. Nobody just takes a police officers word for anything. If you know of such a case, then post a link to it.

I just did. The officer lied in an official capacity. He's suing the person he lied about and wasn't fired.

Like I said, post the link because you are talking about a lot of things here.

Read the links I provide for you.

I'm not going to read every MFn link you post. Not posting it is just your way to get out of a losing argument for you.

I'm not going to read every MFn link you post. Not posting it is just your way to get out of a losing argument for you.

It was posted to you.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) quietly signed a bill into law ramping up punishments for certain kinds of protests, including losing the right to vote.

The GOP-controlled state General Assembly passed the measure last week during a three-day special legislative session and was signed without an announcement earlier this week.

Among other things, the new law stipulates that people who illegally camp on state property will face a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison. People found guilty of a felony in Tennessee lose the right to vote.

The new law also slaps a mandatory 45-day sentence for aggravated rioting, boosts the fine for blocking highway access to emergency vehicles and enhances the punishment for aggravated assault against a first responder to a Class C felony.
Lee and state Republicans have defended the legislation, pointing to fires that were set inside and outside a courthouse in May, though Lee has acknowledged there were portions of the bill he “would have done differently.”

AND

“This bill increases the punishment for illegal camping on state property from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class E felony with a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and an order of restitution for any property damage or loss incurred as a result of the offense,” the summary of HB 8005 reads.

“This bill generally prohibits the release of a person arrested for any of the following offenses for 12 hours from the time of the arrest: camping on state property, vandalism of government property, rioting, aggravated rioting, inciting a riot, or obstructing a highway.”

The measure comes after demonstrations have been carried out for months in front of the state capital building. The demonstrations are a part of nationwide unrest that followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police in May.

In addition, the new law mandates a 45-day jail sentence to those guilty of aggravated riot, higher fines for blocking emergency vehicles on highways and Class C felony for assaults on first responders.

The Democrats, Media, and the ACLU are all up in arms about this, but the premise is peaceful protest is fine but rioting is not. I don't know all the details, but this sounds like a good idea to me.
Wonderful news! Thanks for your post.

A six-year-sentence, a felony conviction and loss of the right to vote for camping??? This is just plain nuts. The people who passed this bill are totally off their rockers.

Furthermore, this bill seems to be aimed at preventing the people of Tennessee from exercise their First Amendment right to seek redress of grievances. A ban on protests has to be unconstitutional. This is not to say that an individual person who actually is seen committing a crime should not be arrested. A late friend of mine was arrested during a protest over the Vietnam war. She was a marshal and medic who had not committed any crime, but she got hauled off to RFK Stadium. As a result of a subsequently-filed class action, of which she had no knowledge, the DC government had to cut her a nice check.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Neither am I, but if somebody presents me with the threat of serious bodily harm or death, I have the right to be a prosecutor and executioner. It's called our law.

Which wasn't the case in most of those cases. Most of those were even minor infractions.

Most of them were unintentional accidents. Every one could have been avoided if the suspect obeyed all orders of the police officers. That's what starts these problems 99.9% of the time. When a person resists arrest, what do you want to police to do, tell him perhaps another time when he's in a better mood? What if a suspect runs? Do you want the cops to just stand there and watch him go?

Depends on what he was wanted for. Michael Slager is in prison for shooting a man in the back over a broken tail light. He had his car. Yes, let him run off as opposed to shooting him in the back.

Like you said, he's in prison for it too. The officer should have ran after him to subdue him. But these kinds of incidents happen to a fraction of 1% of our police force on a national level.

I don't know what this guy did or what he was up to, but nobody runs from a police officer over a broken tail light. Even though the guy is dead and the officer in jail, he'd still be alive today most likely if he didn't run at all.

Even though the system has found the officer guilty you still find this need to make excuses and defend him.
more proof you are wrong----that's bullshit--plain and simple
WE don't defend criminals --YOU people do
MBrown
EGarner
GFloyd
ASterling
you people PRAISE and honor criminals--not us
--I posted how black leaders COMMEND criminals, plaques for criminals, murals for criminals

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

more proof you are wrong----that's bullshit--plain and simple
WE don't defend criminals --YOU people do
MBrown
EGarner
GFloyd
ASterling
you people PRAISE and honor criminals--not us
--I posted how black leaders COMMEND criminals, plaques for criminals, murals for criminals

I didn't see it myself, but I understand the Floyd funeral was on national television like he was an ex-President or something. It is how the leftist MSM thinks. They were paying homage to a career criminal, and then say they are not for evil.

A six-year-sentence, a felony conviction and loss of the right to vote for camping??? This is just plain nuts. The people who passed this bill are totally off their rockers.

Furthermore, this bill seems to be aimed at preventing the people of Tennessee from exercise their First Amendment right to seek redress of grievances. A ban on protests has to be unconstitutional. This is not to say that an individual person who actually is seen committing a crime should not be arrested. A late friend of mine was arrested during a protest over the Vietnam war. She was a marshal and medic who had not committed any crime, but she got hauled off to RFK Stadium. As a result of a subsequently-filed class action, of which she had no knowledge, the DC government had to cut her a nice check.

Sounds to me like you missed the story of Mayor Lori Lighthead of Chicago and how she ordered the police to keep peaceful protesters off of her street. Even her neighbors were pissed off about having to enter and exit that street with police barricades. Go ahead and burn downtown, but don't you dare go near my house!!!

Riots start out as "peaceful" protests. How long has this been going on now and WTF do they want? You're always going to get bad police officers like you'll always have bad CEO's, bad Catholic priests, bad store owners, bad real estate agents. And I'd be willing to bet if you asked those jobless losers who George Floyd is, half of them would say they never heard of the guy.

So what we really have here are people looking for any excuse to act out in public and perhaps get away with destroying stores, public buildings, police cars, and massive theft. I don't have to worry about being charged with a felony or spending six years in prison, because for one, I'm not from that state, and two, I redress and resolve my grievances at the voting booth like other civilized people.

what lies? do arrestees lie about cops?

Yes but they aren't simply accepted as fact.

I posted this one earlier. I could post 50. Even knowing what happened was being recorded the officer still lied about what happened.

Dramatic new bodycam footage shows Sheriff's Deputy shoved Raptors' president during altercation

For several years my work included examining arrestees who complained of sickness or injury. I did it lots of times------I'll lay claim to 1000 or more times. I discovered that people who are arrested LIE CLEVERLY AND INCESSANTLY. I could examine a person who presents with a REAL and serious illness
in less than 1 hour---or even 1/2 hour. An habitual
arrestee ----with a lie could take several hours in a busy emergency room. -----and often did it over and over and over........again

Irrelevant to anything. But anyone that simply took you at your word would have been a fool.

is that ^^^^ your way of the typical fart of the desperate "YOU LIE" Typical of the desperate you cannot manage to specify ---just WHAT IS THE LIE?

I posted this one earlier. I could post 50. Even knowing what happened was being recorded the officer still lied about what happened.

Dramatic new bodycam footage shows Sheriff's Deputy shoved Raptors' president during altercation

For several years my work included examining arrestees who complained of sickness or injury. I did it lots of times------I'll lay claim to 1000 or more times. I discovered that people who are arrested LIE CLEVERLY AND INCESSANTLY. I could examine a person who presents with a REAL and serious illness
arrestee ----with a lie could take several hours in a busy emergency room. -----and often did it over and over and over........again

Irrelevant to anything. But anyone that simply took you at your word would have been a fool.

is that ^^^^ your way of the typical fart of the desperate "YOU LIE" Typical of the desperate you cannot manage to specify ---just WHAT IS THE LIE?

Where did I say "You lie"?

you wax obtuse

you wax obtuse

So I never said that?

you wax obtuse

So I never said that?

you did. You are playing one of the arrestee's games----SEMANTICS.------to wit---anything to
wiggle OUT OF IT

you wax obtuse

So I never said that?

you did. You are playing one of the arrestee's games----SEMANTICS.------to wit---anything to
wiggle OUT OF IT

So tell me, where did I?

Now they need a federal law that holds the political leadership of democrat run states legally accountable for the looting, destruction and personal injury in their respective states. There must be consequences for Mayor's and Governors who turn a blind eye and even support these radical left extremists.

Now they need a federal law that holds the political leadership of democrat run states legally accountable for the looting, destruction and personal injury in their respective states. There must be consequences for Mayor's and Governors who turn a blind eye and even support these radical left extremists.

The Democrat way is to be politically correct, don't hurt anybody's feelings, make sure it looks nice for all involved.

The Republican way: You have a problem, solve the problem, and don't worry about anything else.

Forum List

Back