Tennessee governor signs law to outlaw certain types of rioting, vandalism, and violence

A six-year-sentence, a felony conviction and loss of the right to vote for camping??? This is just plain nuts. The people who passed this bill are totally off their rockers.

Furthermore, this bill seems to be aimed at preventing the people of Tennessee from exercise their First Amendment right to seek redress of grievances. A ban on protests has to be unconstitutional. This is not to say that an individual person who actually is seen committing a crime should not be arrested. A late friend of mine was arrested during a protest over the Vietnam war. She was a marshal and medic who had not committed any crime, but she got hauled off to RFK Stadium. As a result of a subsequently-filed class action, of which she had no knowledge, the DC government had to cut her a nice check.

Sounds to me like you missed the story of Mayor Lori Lighthead of Chicago and how she ordered the police to keep peaceful protesters off of her street. Even her neighbors were pissed off about having to enter and exit that street with police barricades. Go ahead and burn downtown, but don't you dare go near my house!!!

Riots start out as "peaceful" protests. How long has this been going on now and WTF do they want? You're always going to get bad police officers like you'll always have bad CEO's, bad Catholic priests, bad store owners, bad real estate agents. And I'd be willing to bet if you asked those jobless losers who George Floyd is, half of them would say they never heard of the guy.

So what we really have here are people looking for any excuse to act out in public and perhaps get away with destroying stores, public buildings, police cars, and massive theft. I don't have to worry about being charged with a felony or spending six years in prison, because for one, I'm not from that state, and two, I redress and resolve my grievances at the voting booth like other civilized people.

A six-year-sentence, a felony conviction and loss of the right to vote for camping??? This is just plain nuts. The people who passed this bill are totally off their rockers.

Furthermore, this bill seems to be aimed at preventing the people of Tennessee from exercise their First Amendment right to seek redress of grievances. A ban on protests has to be unconstitutional. This is not to say that an individual person who actually is seen committing a crime should not be arrested. A late friend of mine was arrested during a protest over the Vietnam war. She was a marshal and medic who had not committed any crime, but she got hauled off to RFK Stadium. As a result of a subsequently-filed class action, of which she had no knowledge, the DC government had to cut her a nice check.

Sounds to me like you missed the story of Mayor Lori Lighthead of Chicago and how she ordered the police to keep peaceful protesters off of her street. Even her neighbors were pissed off about having to enter and exit that street with police barricades. Go ahead and burn downtown, but don't you dare go near my house!!!

Riots start out as "peaceful" protests. How long has this been going on now and WTF do they want? You're always going to get bad police officers like you'll always have bad CEO's, bad Catholic priests, bad store owners, bad real estate agents. And I'd be willing to bet if you asked those jobless losers who George Floyd is, half of them would say they never heard of the guy.

So what we really have here are people looking for any excuse to act out in public and perhaps get away with destroying stores, public buildings, police cars, and massive theft. I don't have to worry about being charged with a felony or spending six years in prison, because for one, I'm not from that state, and two, I redress and resolve my grievances at the voting booth like other civilized people.

Please distinguish between protesters and rioters. You are talking about a very small group among the thousands who have marched in protests in proper exercise of their First Amendment rights. Stop exaggerating. What you want is a fascist police state with wholesale roundups of protesters regardless of whether each individual committed a crime. Can't we agree that everything has to be done according to the U.S. Constitution?

You don't know and you can't know who has a job, who is looking for a job, and who is intentionally jobless, all of which has to be considered with regard to present circumstances caused by the pandemic.

Of course we will always have bad cops. But what has been missing has been a serious effort by public officials to route them out and get rid of them. Some public officials themselves seem to support bad cops. Protests occur to prod government officials into action. The House and Senate MUST hold hearings and get to the bottom of what is happening in policing. To what extent do we have the unqualified wearing badges and exercising authority over Americans?

The case that got to me, especially, was the case of Ahmaud Aubrey. Did any local cop do any investigation? How about the police chief? The local prosecutor? No one seemed to do anything about the Aubrey shooting, except to buy into the McMichaels' story wholesale, until the video showing that Aubrey ran into an ambush surfaced, and the GBI was forced to investigate. If I were a local, particularly a minority person, I would not have any faith in law enforcement in these circumstances.

Please distinguish between protesters and rioters. You are talking about a very small group among the thousands who have marched in protests in proper exercise of their First Amendment rights. Stop exaggerating. What you want is a fascist police state with wholesale roundups of protesters regardless of whether each individual committed a crime. Can't we agree that everything has to be done according to the U.S. Constitution?

You don't know and you can't know who has a job, who is looking for a job, and who is intentionally jobless, all of which has to be considered with regard to present circumstances caused by the pandemic.

Of course we will always have bad cops. But what has been missing has been a serious effort by public officials to route them out and get rid of them. Some public officials themselves seem to support bad cops. Protests occur to prod government officials into action. The House and Senate MUST hold hearings and get to the bottom of what is happening in policing. To what extent do we have the unqualified wearing badges and exercising authority over Americans?

The case that got to me, especially, was the case of Ahmaud Aubrey. Did any local cop do any investigation? How about the police chief? The local prosecutor? No one seemed to do anything about the Aubrey shooting, except to buy into the McMichaels' story wholesale, until the video showing that Aubrey ran into an ambush surfaced, and the GBI was forced to investigate. If I were a local, particularly a minority person, I would not have any faith in law enforcement in these circumstances.

You can protest, but you don't have the right to block streets to protest, stop emergency vehicles trying to get to people who need help, protest all hours of the night. I don't see that as rights in the US Constitution.

Yes, I do know who's working and who's not. I'm recently retired, but when I was working, I was too damned tired after a day of work to run out in the streets to protest, and certainly in no position to risk everything I had by going to prison for a couple of years so I could loot stores or burn them down. On the weekends, I needed to catch up on all the things I couldn't do while working during the week.

As for police officers, they do the best they can to get the best. The son of a friend of mine spent years before he got a full time job as an officer. He was the cleanest cut kid anybody could imagine. Good grades in school, never so much as an outstanding parking ticket, and in making attempts to get hired, he even went to the police academy and paid for it himself. He is also a college graduate.

Now ask yourself, what started this nationwide protest and riots? It was about a cop who unintentionally killed a career criminal. Even before an investigation could start, he was arrested and charged with murder. WTF more do you want than that? WTF are they protesting about? Talk about a police state, do these lowlifes want the officer executed without a trial?

Among other things, the new law stipulates that people who illegally camp on state property will face a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison.
What's with all the antebellum legal shit from south of the Mason–Dixon Line? It's worse than Jim Crow by an order of magnitude. What are those slave-owners going to come up with next?

You can protest, but you don't have the right to block streets to protest, stop emergency vehicles trying to get to people who need help, protest all hours of the night. I don't see that as rights in the US Constitution.

Yes, I do know who's working and who's not. I'm recently retired, but when I was working, I was too damned tired after a day of work to run out in the streets to protest, and certainly in no position to risk everything I had by going to prison for a couple of years so I could loot stores or burn them down. On the weekends, I needed to catch up on all the things I couldn't do while working during the week.

As for police officers, they do the best they can to get the best. The son of a friend of mine spent years before he got a full time job as an officer. He was the cleanest cut kid anybody could imagine. Good grades in school, never so much as an outstanding parking ticket, and in making attempts to get hired, he even went to the police academy and paid for it himself. He is also a college graduate.

Now ask yourself, what started this nationwide protest and riots? It was about a cop who unintentionally killed a career criminal. Even before an investigation could start, he was arrested and charged with murder. WTF more do you want than that? WTF are they protesting about? Talk about a police state, do these lowlifes want the officer executed without a trial?
Where do you get "career criminal" from? As to the Aubrey case, Not only do you have to show that he was a "career criminal," that the McMichael boys knew it, the local police knew it, and the local officials knew it. you have to show how gunning somebody down is the same as bringing this person to justice according to the U.S. Constitution. I think that there is a pattern of bigotry in policing, so let us differentiate between good cops (and I know some of them) and bad cops that cannot obey their oath to protect and serve. Who blocks emergency vehicles, read ambulances and paramedics, from getting through?

BTW: I recently retired after being feated for my 35 years on my (nongovernment) job. Some of the pictures show me and the black woman who was awarded for 40 years on the job. we supported each other in all of those years and I love her. Forthright, honest, protective, and true blue.

Where do you get "career criminal" from? As to the Aubrey case, Not only do you have to show that he was a "career criminal," that the McMichael boys knew it, the local police knew it, and the local officials knew it. you have to show how gunning somebody down is the same as bringing this person to justice according to the U.S. Constitution. I think that there is a pattern of bigotry in policing, so let us differentiate between good cops (and I know some of them) and bad cops that cannot obey their oath to protect and serve. Who blocks emergency vehicles, read ambulances and paramedics, from getting through?

BTW: I recently retired after being feated for my 35 years on my (nongovernment) job. Some of the pictures show me and the black woman who was awarded for 40 years on the job. we supported each other in all of those years and I love her. Forthright, honest, protective, and true blue.

Floyd was a career criminal. He's been arrested multiple times on various charges and spent time in prison. For crying out loud, the police were summoned to the business because he was trying to pass counterfeit money to pay for his goods. He was high as a kite on fentanyl, and couldn't control himself.

As to the Aubrey case, what is your problem with it? I don't like to comment on things I don't know about, so I read the entire story on Wiki.

Apparently there have been some robberies in the area, and Aubrey was caught on video entering a house under construction looking for God knows what. He was approached by neighbors, one who's vehicle was entered earlier and a firearm stolen, and followed this guy. They were holding him at gunpoint when Aubrey decided to attack the neighbor holding the gun on him. Now, not knowing what this guys intent was, if he got a hold of that gun, he could use it to kill the neighbor, so the neighbor shot in self-defense.

This took place in February, and the video didn't come out until early May. By the time all the red tape went through and with Covid, the grand jury didn't convene until early June. Since Aubrey didn't find anything to steal in that house, he had no evidence on him, and therefore disabling McMichael's from using their citizens arrest provision in that state.

It's not a wonder why police didn't immediately arrest McMichael because it was a self-defense issue, and a person has the right to use deadly force if they believe that they (or others) are in jeopardy of serious bodily harm or death. Again, This Aubrey guy was no stranger to law enforcement, and neither was his family.

Why can't they just enforce the laws already there instead of passing more laws that democrats will ignore?

Forum List

Back