Tell me that I am wrong

Sorry but if they went back to their African names after being emancipated we probably would be having this discussion. No---they waited until militancy raised its ugly head in the country. Waited until it was firmly planted in their heads that whites and america is and will always be racist and they decided to distance themselves from middle american. By the way, have you not noticed that the vast majority of successful middle class blacks are named Tom, Dick and Harry. How is that name change crap working out?
In addition----This country did not invent slavery----This country ended slavery. Instead of continually attacking it for the past it should be praised for sacrificing so many good men for the cause.

Totally disagree, they are free spirits and can name people what they want and you are interpreting as racial, let people express themselves. As far as slavery, it is in the past, we can’t change it, we can’t do anything but accept it is a dark part of American history that happened 150 years ago, time to move on.

I do agree that we all should leave the history of slavery in the past. Instead of preaching to me how about you tell the slavery whiners to move on. instead of continually using it as an excuse for their own failures. "I want my reparations".

Sorry but if they went back to their African names after being emancipated we probably would be having this discussion. No---they waited until militancy raised its ugly head in the country. Waited until it was firmly planted in their heads that whites and america is and will always be racist and they decided to distance themselves from middle american. By the way, have you not noticed that the vast majority of successful middle class blacks are named Tom, Dick and Harry. How is that name change crap working out?
In addition----This country did not invent slavery----This country ended slavery. Instead of continually attacking it for the past it should be praised for sacrificing so many good men for the cause.

Totally disagree, they are free spirits and can name people what they want and you are interpreting as racial, let people express themselves. As far as slavery, it is in the past, we can’t change it, we can’t do anything but accept it is a dark part of American history that happened 150 years ago, time to move on.

I do agree that we all should leave the history of slavery in the past. Instead of preaching to me how about you tell the slavery whiners to move on. instead of continually using it as an excuse for their own failures. "I want my reparations".

Calm down. It costs nothing to have a conversation. It gets more traction when some take the approach of attack rather then reason. Reparations is not going to happen no matter who’s in office.

It appears that the perception among Black folks is that, while THEY (the Black Folks) have to struggle for everything and make it "on their own," White People have a whole package of advantages handed to them, not only because of the color of their skin, but because of parental support and inheritance, the lack of which in the Black community is a vestige of past racism.

It sounds plausible.

But there are two holes in that perception. First of all, the 70% bastardy rate in the Black community - the driver of "lack of parental support" - has nothing to do with present or past White racism. It is entirely self-inflicted by the Black community on itself. So "they" can't complain about the deficiencies arising out of single parent living. (And those disadvantages are about equally bad for White single parent families, according to the Census Bureau).

Second, the financial benefits of being White (and working class) are greatly over-estimated. For example, most working class families support the idea of their children going to college, but make very little financial contribution to it, which is why the student debt crisis is so great. Working class White kids mainly finance their college education through borrowing. And if Black kids have to do the same, that's not a disadvantage. In fact, a much higher percentage of Black kids are able to finance college through scholarships, grants, and such that are not available to White kids.

It is true that there is a huge population of White people who are well-above "working class," and DO pay their kids way through college, give them extravagant gifts throughout their pampered lives, and leave them a shit-load of money when they die. And the population of Black folks who can afford to do the same is quite small, no doubt about it. But I think the perception in the Black community is that these riches and benefits come to all or most White people, and they don't.

Among my high school friends (catholic high school in Pittsburgh), very few got any significant financial support for college from their parents. I never got a dime - never asked for it, as I knew it simply wasn't feasible for them to help me financially.

White Privilege isn't what it's cracked up to be.

It appears that the perception among Black folks is that, while THEY (the Black Folks) have to struggle for everything and make it "on their own," White People have a whole package of advantages handed to them, not only because of the color of their skin, but because of parental support and inheritance, the lack of which in the Black community is a vestige of past racism.

It sounds plausible.

But there are two holes in that perception. First of all, the 70% bastardy rate in the Black community - the driver of "lack of parental support" - has nothing to do with present or past White racism. It is entirely self-inflicted by the Black community on itself. So "they" can't complain about the deficiencies arising out of single parent living. (And those disadvantages are about equally bad for White single parent families, according to the Census Bureau).

Second, the financial benefits of being White (and working class) are greatly over-estimated. For example, most working class families support the idea of their children going to college, but make very little financial contribution to it, which is why the student debt crisis is so great. Working class White kids mainly finance their college education through borrowing. And if Black kids have to do the same, that's not a disadvantage. In fact, a much higher percentage of Black kids are able to finance college through scholarships, grants, and such that are not available to White kids.

It is true that there is a huge population of White people who are well-above "working class," and DO pay their kids way through college, give them extravagant gifts throughout their pampered lives, and leave them a shit-load of money when they die. And the population of Black folks who can afford to do the same is quite small, no doubt about it. But I think the perception in the Black community is that these riches and benefits come to all or most White people, and they don't.

Among my high school friends (catholic high school in Pittsburgh), very few got any significant financial support for college from their parents. I never got a dime - never asked for it, as I knew it simply wasn't feasible for them to help me financially.

White Privilege isn't what it's cracked up to be.

DGS49 hello,
I was beginning to think that I was the only one with a reasonable opinion on the "black" condition. It all comes down to choices. Get an education, get a job, get a part time job to if one isn't enough, get married and then have kids, teach them to respect authority starting in school. If unfortunate enough to get stopped by the police follow their directions without the driving while black attitude. Quit blaming others for your difficulties. Life is hard for all of us. This is my last comment of this subject---------I admit that I am a class-ist when it comes to black, brown and also white. I judge the individual and that does not automatically make ma a racist. Say what you will---BYE!!

Forum List

Back