"Tabula Rasa" theory is, in my humble opinion, wrong

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Tabula rasa | philosophy

The belief that every child born in the world is a "blank slate" and that only environment changes that person is, in my humble opinion, as wrong as can be.

I am the father of three of them, and I can attest that my two daughters and one son each had unique personalities and that there was very little their mother or I could do to change those personalities once they were formed.

We could teach them our values of course, and send them to school to learn how to read and do mathematics, but they basic fundamentals of who they are were formed in the womb, BEFORE they were born.

While there are certainly aspects of human character that enter the world as a blank slate, a great deal of who and what any person is comes out of what humanity and nature have been. The combinations are unique and infinite. Nevertheless, much pre-exists and is expressed along with what is new.

Tabula rasa | philosophy

The belief that every child born in the world is a "blank slate" and that only environment changes that person is, in my humble opinion, as wrong as can be.

I am the father of three of them, and I can attest that my two daughters and one son each had unique personalities and that there was very little their mother or I could do to change those personalities once they were formed.

We could teach them our values of course, and send them to school to learn how to read and do mathematics, but they basic fundamentals of who they are were formed in the womb, BEFORE they were born.
Yes, very obviously it is wrong. We have known this since the discovery of genetics.

Forum List

Back