Syria: Iraq Redux? Guess Again

Don't get me wrong, but where would we put millions of Iraqi refugees? Most certainly not here.

If our thirst for drugs ultimately creates much greater war (with all the drug trafficker and kingpins) in Columbia and Mexico, for instance, where would those refugees go?

Refugees go where they can. The last time we really focused on this was in Somalia wasn't it?

Congress needs to withdraw the US endorsement for the conventions against the use of chemical weapons if Congress isn't willing to do anything to enforce them.

I guess all the other countries that won't enforce them need to withdraw their endorsements also ?

Your error is simple. TL: Bush employed hundreds of thousands and hundreds of billions of dollars, which has resulted in Iraq growing closer to Iran. Obama is going use cruise missiles to punish Assad for using poison gas on his people.
If only it were that simple. But the problem is we have no idea what the ultimate result of any such action will be. We were told our "mission" in Iraq would be over in two or three months and would cost no more than ten billion dollars.

All we had to do is say no to that disaster and it would not have happened. But here we are being sold another one. Instead of Bush, it's Obama, a bullshit artist. Instead of Colin Powell, it's John Kerry, another lying gasbag doing his master's bidding.

Is it possible that Obama is right? Is it worth the risk to find out?

Your error is simple. TL: Bush employed hundreds of thousands and hundreds of billions of dollars, which has resulted in Iraq growing closer to Iran. Obama is going use cruise missiles to punish Assad for using poison gas on his people.
If only it were that simple. But the problem is we have no idea what the ultimate result of any such action will be. We were told our "mission" in Iraq would be over in two or three months and would cost no more than ten billion dollars.

All we had to do is say no to that disaster and it would not have happened. But here we are being sold another one. Instead of Bush, it's Obama, a bullshit artist. Instead of Colin Powell, it's John Kerry, another lying gasbag doing his master's bidding.

Is it possible that Obama is right? Is it worth the risk to find out?

Kerry is throwing around these "100% sure" statements as if anything is 100% sure. All they can do is make some educated guesses which can be quite dangerous considering what's at stake.

Idiotic statement. There is no ‘punishing’ dictators. You can remove them or leave them. Bombing shit does nothing but kill people. Explain to me how killing people ‘punishes’ the dictator.

yes, FA-Q2, your statement is indeed idiotic.

Thank America you are not in charge of foreign policy. We stand a chance of surviving.

TK, step off, son. I will respond to a personal attack in the manner, I wish. You better understand that.

TK, step off, son. I will respond to a personal attack in the manner, I wish. You better understand that.

No sir. You found it within yourself to respond in a courteous and polite manner to me. Did it ever occur to you that your abrasive nature brings on these personal attacks? I won't stop you any further, but can you at least try to carry on a civilized debate?

Because you offered the same.

Go back and study the situation here before you offer advice based on less than actionable intelligence.

Because the intelligence surpasses actionable guarantees, TK.

There are neither. The intelligence is faulty at best. We don't know who launched these attacks, and we go running in there half cocked with no international support thinking we knew who did it. Not only is that arrogant, it's bad strategic planning. Without actionable intelligence there can be no actionable guarantees.

Because you offered the same.

Go back and study the situation here before you offer advice based on less than actionable intelligence.

I have. You should already know that. Out of all the people here, I was the one who reached out to you. I only show such concern for people I consider as a friend, Jake.

And I already studied the situation. Since when do we as a nation bear the brunt of our military might on someone based on less than reliable intelligence? Oh wait that's right, Bush did the same thing, and he was razed to the ground for it. Obama is making the same mistake.

Last edited:
TK, love you but I will simply not read you for the remainder of the day.

At any rate, Carbine, you never answered my question. Why should we strike on the basis of less than actionable intelligence?

You don't pay attention to my posts.

I'm not for attacking Syria over chemical weapons. I wish I could be. I wish we had an international community with the moral character to stand up to the perpetrators of such atrocities and en masse take action to punish them, but we don't.

The US cannot afford to be exceptional. We can afford to join the rest of the civilized world, in our own due part, to act on certain measures of extremity, collectively,

but we can't afford to do the dirty work ourselves.

We have to confine our dirty work to those situations when our national security and vital interests are clearly and materially threatened. Syria is not one of those situations.

That is the sad state of the world.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back