‘Stick over carrot’: progressive Portland takes a hard turn on homelessness

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Uh-oh...folks is getting pissed--out with the programs..in with the fire-hoses:

On a recent Monday, Jessie Burke stepped out of the lobby of the Society Hotel and into an unusual scene: quiet. The sprawling tent encampments that once lined the sidewalks of Portland’s Old Town were mostly gone.
“This is what should be normal,” said Burke, who bought and renovated the 132-year-old Mariners Building in 2013 and transformed it into the chic hotel on 3rd Avenue.
Burke owes this fleeting peace to a palpable and controversial shift in liberal Portland, a city that had long opted for a mostly hands-off policy to the camps that had come to dominate the hotel’s surrounding blocks. Now, at the urging of residents like Burke, the city is clearing camps, sometimes daily, and planning to encourage unhoused people to relocate to centralized communities.
Advocates for unhoused people say they strongly disagree. This new “normal” in Old Town represents a distinct turning point in one of the country’s most progressive cities.
Unhoused Portlanders are feeling the increased pressure. Aistheta Gleason built themself a home of pallets when they first arrived in Portland from Colorado last summer. “I had a living room, a bedroom. It was all planned out,” they said. “I had a queen-sized bed and a water filter.”
The shift in city tactics is a product of changing political winds. Last fall, the Portland city commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty – who had for some residents come to represent a misguided and overly permissive approach to a homelessness epidemic – failed in her re-election attempt. Hardesty oversaw the Portland bureau of transportation, which is tasked with enforcing sidewalk ordinances that might prevent people from camping wherever they want. Hardesty ardently opposed enforcing those ordinances, as her constituency of unhoused people gained political power and legal clout.
Hardesty’s loss came at the hands of a more “law-and-order” Democrat in Rene Gonzalez. His central argument, according to his campaign website: “Taking a hands-off approach to homelessness is not compassionate or progressive; it’s dangerous and inhumane.”

Gonzalez promised not only to work for increased shelter capacity and access to mental health and addiction services, but also to relocate illegally parked RVs and “clean up” parks and neighborhoods.

It's 'gentrification' of the downtown area; it was a ghetto when I lived there in 1987-88 or so, cheap run down hotels, nice apts. going for $225 a month. All of that changed with the waves of Californicators moving in. Now the same liberals suddenly abhor the homeless; they lower property values for the geek set.

You will see the same thing in San FRancisco. The scam is to send real estate prices to through the floor, then buy it up cheap, get a lot of federal and state subsidies, and drive the prices back up and unload them.

Uh-oh...folks is getting pissed--out with the programs..in with the fire-hoses:

On a recent Monday, Jessie Burke stepped out of the lobby of the Society Hotel and into an unusual scene: quiet. The sprawling tent encampments that once lined the sidewalks of Portland’s Old Town were mostly gone.
“This is what should be normal,” said Burke, who bought and renovated the 132-year-old Mariners Building in 2013 and transformed it into the chic hotel on 3rd Avenue.
Burke owes this fleeting peace to a palpable and controversial shift in liberal Portland, a city that had long opted for a mostly hands-off policy to the camps that had come to dominate the hotel’s surrounding blocks. Now, at the urging of residents like Burke, the city is clearing camps, sometimes daily, and planning to encourage unhoused people to relocate to centralized communities.
Advocates for unhoused people say they strongly disagree. This new “normal” in Old Town represents a distinct turning point in one of the country’s most progressive cities.
Unhoused Portlanders are feeling the increased pressure. Aistheta Gleason built themself a home of pallets when they first arrived in Portland from Colorado last summer. “I had a living room, a bedroom. It was all planned out,” they said. “I had a queen-sized bed and a water filter.”
The shift in city tactics is a product of changing political winds. Last fall, the Portland city commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty – who had for some residents come to represent a misguided and overly permissive approach to a homelessness epidemic – failed in her re-election attempt. Hardesty oversaw the Portland bureau of transportation, which is tasked with enforcing sidewalk ordinances that might prevent people from camping wherever they want. Hardesty ardently opposed enforcing those ordinances, as her constituency of unhoused people gained political power and legal clout.
Hardesty’s loss came at the hands of a more “law-and-order” Democrat in Rene Gonzalez. His central argument, according to his campaign website: “Taking a hands-off approach to homelessness is not compassionate or progressive; it’s dangerous and inhumane.”

Gonzalez promised not only to work for increased shelter capacity and access to mental health and addiction services, but also to relocate illegally parked RVs and “clean up” parks and neighborhoods.

Must have been the power of that new Mellencamp song...

It's 'gentrification' of the downtown area; it was a ghetto when I lived there in 1987-88 or so, cheap run down hotels, nice apts. going for $225 a month. All of that changed with the waves of Californicators moving in. Now the same liberals suddenly abhor the homeless; they lower property values for the geek set.

You will see the same thing in San FRancisco. The scam is to send real estate prices to through the floor, then buy it up cheap, get a lot of federal and state subsidies, and drive the prices back up and unload them.
I love a good conspiracy theory, and that one sounds pretty plausible.

It appears that Democrats are once again surprised by the outcomes of their own policies, in spite of having been loudly warned by non-Democrats about the obvious.

Disabled people sued also, claiming that the homeless impeded their movement on the sidewalk. In fact the homeless impeded everyone's movement, but you have to be part of a preferred group to successfully sue.

In other first world countries, they don't have homeless camping on the sidewalks. People who cannot take care of themselves are put into institutions where they can safely get help.

n other first world countries, they don't have homeless camping on the sidewalks. People who cannot take care of themselves are put into institutions where they can safely get help.
There are a lot of homeless who do work, and they live in cars and vans and RV's. They aren't noticed like the others, until they finally end up living on street due to vehicles breaking down or getting laid off and can no longer afford gas and maintenance, insurance, and inspections and tags.

There are a lot of homeless who do work, and they live in cars and vans and RV's. They aren't noticed like the others, until they finally end up living on street due to vehicles breaking down or getting laid off and can no longer afford gas and maintenance, insurance, and inspections and tags.
The word "homeless" is too broad. I was talking about the people who due to addiction or mental illness more or less permanently live on the sidewalk and refuse to go to shelters.

For school purposes, a family that has to go live with grandma until mom finds another job is considered "homeless," and have rights bestowed on them. I don't oppose that, those families need help. But they are not the same as people sleeping on the sidewalk.

As to the family who lives in a van until they lose it due to unemployment, are they not eligible for shelters and then public assistance for housing?

he word "homeless" is too broad. I was talking about the people who due to addiction or mental illness more or less permanently live on the sidewalk and refuse to go to shelters.

Yes, no problem with that.

As for 'qualifying for public assistance, there is a long waiting list to get in Section 8 housing, and of course white people don't bother, for obvious reasons if you've ever seen a Section 8 apartment complex. They would be targeted by blacks and latinos and killed if they didn't leave. Shelters also limit how long one can stay, and in many places they can't hold even 10% of those who need it. Those with steady jobs will rent a motel room once or twice a week.

Yes, no problem with that.

As for 'qualifying for public assistance, there is a long waiting list to get in Section 8 housing, and of course white people don't bother, for obvious reasons if you've ever seen a Section 8 apartment complex. They would be targeted by blacks and latinos and killed if they didn't leave. Shelters also limit how long one can stay, and in many places they can't hold even 10% of those who need it. Those with steady jobs will rent a motel room once or twice a week.
I'm all for those type homeless getting more help. The government doesn't just need to hire a bunch more social workers to talk to them, that doesn't help at all. Give the money to NGO's, yes including faith based NGO's, and they will do a much better job than government workers.

I'd like the government to help the addicted and mentally ill homeless also. But that help would have to forced on them because they are too addicted or mentally ill to know what is best for them.

I'm all for those type homeless getting more help. The government doesn't just need to hire a bunch more social workers to talk to them, that doesn't help at all. Give the money to NGO's, yes including faith based NGO's, and they will do a much better job than government workers.

I'd like the government to help the addicted and mentally ill homeless also. But that help would have to forced on them because they are too addicted or mentally ill to know what is best for them.

The govt. hires people from the population base of this country. With the steep slide downwards of morality and the WASP work ethic just about any govt. enterprise is doomed to fall to thievery and failure at this point. Losing the culture wars to sociopaths and deviants has a steep price.

Forum List

Back