State aid emerges as major hurdle to reviving COVID-19 talks

Federal money for state and local governments is a key sticking point to reviving negotiations over the next coronavirus relief package.

The White House and congressional Democrats are deeply divided over whether states should get more money — and if so, how much.

Before talks collapsed late last week, the two sides were hundreds of billions apart on how much they were willing to put on the table. Democrats want $915 billion, while Republicans are offering $150 billion, the same amount included in the CARES Act from late March.

There are no signs the impasse is thawing, underscoring how difficult it will be to clinch an agreement after negotiations went off the tracks.
A Treasury Department report found that through the end of June, state and local governments had spent roughly a quarter of the money previously appropriated by Congress.

But Democrats warn that without a significant influx of new money, state and local governments will have to seriously consider layoffs and cuts to essential services in the middle of a public health crisis and recession.
There are GOP outliers on both sides of the issue: Some GOP senators, such as Rick Scott of Florida, are opposed to both more money and more flexibility for the funds already appropriated by Congress. Others — such as Sens. Bill Cassidy (La.) and Susan Collins (Maine), who is up for reelection — have pitched a bill that would provide state and local governments with an additional $500 billion.

Personally, I see this as a bailout to poorly managed state and local cities and counties, regardless of whether they are red or blue. And if the federal gov't gives them nearly a trillion dollars then they will not change their profligate ways. So we'll end up in the same place we are now a few years down the road; those same places will be crying for anther bailout, then another, and another. And frankly the Feds are just as bad, running up a huge national debt with no sign of slowing down. Repubs and Dems, Obama, Trump, and Bush and the rest of them are all guilty of fiscal mismanagement IMHO. And sooner or later the bill will come due as interest rates will eventually rise and just the interest payments alone will become the largest budget item that future generatons will have to pay.

So, when are we going to get our finances in order at every level of gov't?
FUNNY how the Democrats criticize Trump for spending, then want to throw around a trillion dollars like it is nothing.

The thing is, the states which would benefit the most from the Democrat's state spending plan are all Democrat Blue states who fucked everything up in the first place!

Now they want Trump to bail them out, make them happy. Trump wants these people unhappy before the election seeing how their democrat leadership has really screwed them!
FUNNY how the Republicans criticized Obama for spending and the the Republicans do it and it's ok by Republicans....
So you are opposed to the government bailing out anyone?
I have never taken a bailout and still managed to survive so I do oppose bail outs.

Not
FUNNY how the Republicans criticized Obama for spending and the the Republicans do it and it's ok by Republicans....

Republicans had a REASON to criticize Obama: He spent more than all previous presidents COMBINED, after helping to CREATE the recession.

Then gave it all to Solyndra and none to our own military.
Not to mention the plane loads of cash to the Islamic terriorist assholes trying their level best to destroy us.
They don't seem to be doing a very good job at destroying us but then again the strategy of the CIA and the FBI has changed and the false flag attacks from Muslims have ended...The states need help and we should help just like we do when foreign nations ask for help and we give it.

Last edited:

Republicans had a REASON to criticize Obama: He spent more than all previous presidents COMBINED, after helping to CREATE the recession.

And now Trump has spent more than Oblama...But you knew that.
Trump spent 9 trillion dollars? So I guess Democrats don't want that Trump bail out after all.

Trump spent 9 trillion dollars? So I guess Democrats don't want that Trump bail out after all.
I suppose you think that ignoring what is happening will make it better?

Federal money for state and local governments is a key sticking point to reviving negotiations over the next coronavirus relief package.

The White House and congressional Democrats are deeply divided over whether states should get more money — and if so, how much.

Before talks collapsed late last week, the two sides were hundreds of billions apart on how much they were willing to put on the table. Democrats want $915 billion, while Republicans are offering $150 billion, the same amount included in the CARES Act from late March.

There are no signs the impasse is thawing, underscoring how difficult it will be to clinch an agreement after negotiations went off the tracks.
A Treasury Department report found that through the end of June, state and local governments had spent roughly a quarter of the money previously appropriated by Congress.

But Democrats warn that without a significant influx of new money, state and local governments will have to seriously consider layoffs and cuts to essential services in the middle of a public health crisis and recession.
There are GOP outliers on both sides of the issue: Some GOP senators, such as Rick Scott of Florida, are opposed to both more money and more flexibility for the funds already appropriated by Congress. Others — such as Sens. Bill Cassidy (La.) and Susan Collins (Maine), who is up for reelection — have pitched a bill that would provide state and local governments with an additional $500 billion.

Personally, I see this as a bailout to poorly managed state and local cities and counties, regardless of whether they are red or blue. And if the federal gov't gives them nearly a trillion dollars then they will not change their profligate ways. So we'll end up in the same place we are now a few years down the road; those same places will be crying for anther bailout, then another, and another. And frankly the Feds are just as bad, running up a huge national debt with no sign of slowing down. Repubs and Dems, Obama, Trump, and Bush and the rest of them are all guilty of fiscal mismanagement IMHO. And sooner or later the bill will come due as interest rates will eventually rise and just the interest payments alone will become the largest budget item that future generatons will have to pay.

State aid my ass. It's bailout money for idiotic irresponsibility run democratic shithole states. Why should people in other states have to bail the morons out for their irresponsible, insane, vote buying bullshit?
As usual democrats are trying to buy their way out of the jam they put themselves into with other people's money. Can I hear a big FUCK YOU!

That's good let us see your hate for your fellow Americans it's only natural.
Every rational American hates BLM and Antifa thugs.
I hate everyone so that way it's more equal.
Saying you hate everyone is like saying you hate no one. All that leaves is hate of yourself you project on everyone.

Not

Not to mention the plane loads of cash to the Islamic terriorist assholes trying their level best to destroy us.
They don't seem to be doing a very good job at destroying us but then again the strategy of the CIA and the FBI has changed and the false flag attacks from Muslims have ended...The states need help and we should help just like we do when foreign nations ask for help and we give it.
You sound like you wish they were doing a better job? Terrorists work in spurts. 911 happened in an hour. Watch what you wish for.

Something is happening? Like what?

You're bitching about Trump spending money.

He wants to spend another 100 billion.
Nancy is insisting on 900 billion.

Who's kidding who?

FUNNY how the Democrats criticize Trump for spending, then want to throw around a trillion dollars like it is nothing.

The thing is, the states which would benefit the most from the Democrat's state spending plan are all Democrat Blue states who fucked everything up in the first place!

Now they want Trump to bail them out, make them happy. Trump wants these people unhappy before the election seeing how their democrat leadership has really screwed them!
I have never taken a bailout and still managed to survive so I do oppose bail outs.
How about the GM/Chrysler/UAW bailout?

Ignoring horseshit is always better than taking it seriously.

What about Obama bailing out GM/Chrysler/UAW?

State aid my ass. It's bailout money for idiotic irresponsibility run democratic shithole states. Why should people in other states have to bail the morons out for their irresponsible, insane, vote buying bullshit?
As usual democrats are trying to buy their way out of the jam they put themselves into with other people's money. Can I hear a big FUCK YOU!

That's good let us see your hate for your fellow Americans it's only natural.
Every rational American hates BLM and Antifa thugs.
I hate everyone so that way it's more equal.
You must lay awake at night trying to think of how to be an even bigger asshole than you were the day before when you roll out in the morning. Believe me you're getting really good at it. It's not much of an aspiration but I suppose everyone has to be good at something.

Forum List

Back