Starting tomorrow in California: Ban on trucks and buses made before 2010

This is going to affect over 70,000 vehicles and applies to trucks entering California from other states.

'California's ban on big rigs and buses made before 2010 goes into effect in January. Here's what that will mean"​

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
Large trucks and buses made before 2010 will be prohibited from operating on California roadways starting Jan. 1. It's the final rule in a set of clean air regulations the California Air Resources Board passed nearly 15 years ago.

The rule applies to diesel vehicles that weigh at least 14,000 pounds. The air resources board said there are an estimated 200,000 vehicles that have yet to comply with the rule just days before the new year, including roughly 70,000 big rig trucks, or about 10% of the commercial motor vehicles operating in the state, according to trucking lobbying groups."

California's ban on big rigs and buses made before 2010 goes into effect in January. What to know

Passed 15 years ago? So, are you complaining no one knew this was coming? How many big rigs and buses are over 12 years old? I just looked this up and it said that you can expect to get 15 years or 750,000 miles out of your sem truck. I don't see this having a huge impact on the market.

You brought it up. I noted we have seen increases on the public health with controls on emissions. The only reply seems to be something irrelevant about junk food.

Because you completely missed the point ... And then tried to turn into something that did as good of a job expressing the point you missed ...
And then coming back here and thinking you can spin it again ... Just proves the point that you are a nitwit.

Hell yeah ... Keep on fool ... :auiqs.jpg:

First lets see if the commies enforce the law

I’m betting they will ignore the older trucks without actually repealing the law
CARB is pretty militant. They will enforce the law to the letter. Both them and the SCAQMD (Southern California Air Quality Management District) are environmental extremists and don't care what damage their policies cause to individuals, businesses and the economy. They are chasing the chimera of a pollution-free world.

Last edited:

Because you completely missed the point ... And then tried to turn into something that did as good of a job expressing the point you missed ...
And then coming back here and thinking you can spin it again ... Just proves point that you are a nitwit.

Hell yeah ... Keep on fool ... :auiqs.jpg:

You didn't have a point.

Who is going to enforce it anyway? Are the CHIPs expected to take note of every truck that drives by them and try and determine the date of manufacture?

Probably not.

However, trucks registered in California will be barred from renewing the registration. So the choice will be to drive the truck with no registration, or move the registration out of state.

Secondly, Trucks over 10,000 pounds have to stop at weigh stations here (using Virginia as an example and I assume California is similar):

1672600880470.png

If truckers bypass weigh stations or refuse to comply are opening themselves up for much more trouble.

WW

Last edited:
I’m sure the libs would jail truck drivers unmercifully if it didnt disrupt an already shaky supply situation

Enforcing this stupid law wont be as easy as the crazy greenies imagine

And it probably will raise prices
It's very easy, every major highway access to California already has a agriculture checkpoint at the border. All they have to do is refuse access to older trucks there. A simple registration check would suffice for proof since the year and model of the truck are on the registration.

Probably not.

However, trucks registered in California will be barred from renewing the registration. So the choice will be to drive the truck with no registration, or move the registration out of state.

Secondly, Trucks over 10,000 pounds have to stop at weigh stations where (using Virginia as an example and I assume California is similar):

View attachment 743932

If truckers bypass weigh stations or refuse to comply are opening themselves up for much more trouble.

WW
California also has agricultural inspection stations on every highway access to the state where ALL trucks are required to stop. I was driving a Penske twenty-eight foot rental and had to stop at the agricultural inspection station to have my load inspected. The inspector laughed so hard he almost fell down. My "load" in that big truck consisted of a single eighteen foot kayak I was giving to my daughter and son-in-law. I didn't have a vehicle with a roof rack and that big truck was the smallest thing the kayak would fit in.

Last edited:
California also has agricultural inspection stations on every highway access to the state where ALL trucks are required to stop.
Roger.

Don't live in California so didn't know that.

Wonder if it would be feasible for an enterprising company (or group of companies) to create a new business model. Short haul loads with compliant trucks that can operate in the state to a transfer station over the state line. Another truck jacks into the load and completes the long haul will the original truck bobtails or hauls and empty trailer back to the port?

WW

Wonder if it would be feasible for an enterprising company (or group of companies) to create a new business model. Short haul loads with compliant trucks that can operate in the state to a transfer station over the state line. Another truck jacks into the load and completes the long haul will the original truck bobtails or hauls and empty trailer back to the port?

It's called "short haul trucking" and they already have terminals throughout the United States.

It is a business model with advantages and disadvantages ... The same as any other business model ...
But it is already in action, and could be implemented in California, or right across the border in neighboring states.

The objective is not to run empty, and the terminals allow for better management of operations.
A major benefit to drivers is more "home time" and the ability to have a regular daily work schedule.

Last edited:
Passed 15 years ago? So, are you complaining no one knew this was coming? How many big rigs and buses are over 12 years old? I just looked this up and it said that you can expect to get 15 years or 750,000 miles out of your sem truck. I don't see this having a huge impact on the market.

The impact of having to replace those older trucks is going to be huge, especially with these economic condition. Even the price of used class 8 trucks is 63% higher than they were in 2020. Plus maintenance and repair costs, and the price of diesel. You can also look for an increasing number of trucking companies going out of business because of the price of upgrading their rigs in order to even enter the state of California. This is definitely going to affect the prices you'll be seeing at the stores.

The impact of having to replace those older trucks is going to be huge, especially with these economic condition. Even the price of used class 8 trucks is 63% higher than they were in 2020. Plus maintenance and repair costs, and the price of diesel. You can also look for an increasing number of trucking companies going out of business because of the price of upgrading their rigs in order to even enter the state of California. This is definitely going to affect the prices you'll be seeing at the stores.
Okay. Life's a bitch and then I guess you have to buy a new class 8 truck.

So, you don't think the trucking companies might have done something about this over the past 15 years?

Probably not.

Secondly, Trucks over 10,000 pounds have to stop at weigh stations here (using Virginia as an example and I assume California is similar):

View attachment 743932

WW
So, a truck with Texas tags arrives in california loaded with stuff for california consumers

Will it be stopped at the border and turned around?

So, a truck with Texas tags arrives in california loaded with stuff for california consumers

Will it be stopped at the border and turned around?

That's probably the plan. Trucks over 10,000 pounds are checked at weigh stations as they enter the state. Not only are they checked for weight, they are checked for proper license, registration, tax compliance, and safety compliance. It would be easy for California to check with truck compliance at that time.

WW

Okay. Life's a bitch and then I guess you have to buy a new class 8 truck.

So, you don't think the trucking companies might have done something about this over the past 15 years?

Personally, I don't give a crap. It's California's problem, not mine. That whole shithole could slide off into the ocean and I'd buy some seaside property in Nevada.

The whole purpose of the thread was to show California's stupidity, and mission accomplished.

That's probably the plan. Trucks over 10,000 pounds are checked at weigh stations as they enter the state. Not only are they checked for weight, they are checked for proper license, registration, tax compliance, and safety compliance. It would be easy for California to check with truck compliance at that time.

WW
Offhand I can see green compliant tractors picking up the load just across the border in Arizona or Nevada for delivery in California

It will cost consumers more money but greenies are all rich so what do they care?

Personally, I don't give a crap. It's California's problem, not mine. That whole shithole could slide off into the ocean and I'd buy some seaside property in Nevada.

The whole purpose of the thread was to show California's stupidity, and mission accomplished.
I've yet to see one piece of evidence that anyone or anything has been harmed by this. There may well be trucking companies stupid enough to have done nothing about this in the last 15 years, but none of you have yet reported such a thing. I know you're all fans of the free market and the benefits of competition. So, when someone is dumb enough that they fail to act to preserve their own business with 15 years warning, they go the way of the Dodo, don't they. Survival of the fittest.

Forum List

Back