Starbucks union bashing

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
This is a bad look for a corporation that should beshowing a welcoming face. Those benefits would not be happening if there wasnt union pressure.
Meanwhile the rich get richer and the poor get trampled on.

1659121769320.png

This is a bad look for a corporation that should beshowing a welcoming face. Those benefits would not be happening if there wasnt union pressure.

View attachment 676083
Don't you get it? Starbucks doesn't give a damn about woke causes. It's just marketing to separate liberals from $5 for a cup of twenty cent coffee.

And it's no surprise it works...if you're dumb enough to pay five bucks for a cup of coffee... you're dumb enough to fall for anything.

Get onto Amazon for union busting as well.

View attachment 676083
Unions can be good or bad, depending on the union, why formed and what kind of demands made. They started one at a place I was in supv/mgt, due to shenanigans of a supervisor that was let go, after what was going on, came to light. Company acted like they hated it, but not really. Benefits were only marginally better, and not anything excessive, but we loved it, as it became the bargaining agent. This put an end to individual key employees making demands, when we were in a pinch, as the deal, became the deal.

People conflate unions with collective bargaining. Unions aren't the only way to accomplish collective bargaining, but they do tend to be highly political and controlling, often pursuing goals that are counterproductive to the employees.

View attachment 676083

Apparently, neither you nor the coffee waitresses at the Starbucks stores in question are familiar with US Labor Law.

You have an excuse because you are in Wales, but the union bosses at the Starbucks Union have no excuse.

Starbucks is PROHIBITED from giving unionized workers anything more unless it is approved by the union bosses in a duly executed union contract.

Giving new benefits or increased wages without the input of the International union is considered to be a violation of the union's rights as the Sole Bargaining Representative for the coffee waitresses

Unions get as good as they receive.

Anyway, they can join the teamsters if and when the Goodyear strike happens. The URW contract is up at 6 pm today and last I heard they don't even have a proposed contract to vote on.

Unions get as good as they receive.

Anyway, they can join the teamsters if and when the Goodyear strike happens. The URW contract is up at 6 pm today and last I heard they don't even have a proposed contract to vote on.
In my younger days I was a member of the teamsters. The only thing I found good about them was they showed me I needed to further my education so I could rely on myself instead of a corrupt institution for advancement.

In my younger days I was a member of the teamsters. The only thing I found good about them was they showed me I needed to further my education so I could rely on myself instead of a corrupt institution for advancement.

I will give them some credit. Virginia has a horrible set of worker comp laws/rules that basically say as long as workers comp is willing to cover something, then you can only get whatever pittance they decide to award you. The unions have been able to negotiate around that at least so if someone gets killed on the job their families can pursue a lot more than insurance actuary tables determine a person was worth. At least in theory that forces companies to be careful about their more risky shoddy workplace way of doing things.

History shows us that all of our benefits are due to unions.
The likes of bezos hate them for that reason.

Bezos, and other similar innovators, dislike unions because they put the handcuffs on innovation which is how they keep up with the competition.

Union work rules and seniority lists make it impossible to quickly change company protocols as technology changes. I belonged briefly to the United Food and Commercial Workers in the 1980's, (earning the union agreed to wage of 3.50 when the federal minimum was 3.35.)

The big campaign with the supermarket union was trying to force markets into marking the price on every can of beans and box of cereal sold. To "save union jobs", even though the new scanning technology was making the work redundant.

Guys like Bezos don't want to be at a disadvantage in technology vis-a-vis Walmart or Costco.

Bezos, and other similar innovators, dislike unions because they put the handcuffs on innovation which is how they keep up with the competition.

Union work rules and seniority lists make it impossible to quickly change company protocols as technology changes. I belonged briefly to the United Food and Commercial Workers in the 1980's, (earning the union agreed to wage of 3.50 when the federal minimum was 3.35.)

The big campaign with the supermarket union was trying to force markets into marking the price on every can of beans and box of cereal sold. To "save union jobs", even though the new scanning technology was making the work redundant.

Guys like Bezos don't want to be at a disadvantage in technology vis-a-vis Walmart or Costco.
Bezos hates unions because they want a decent living for their members. That would eat in to his billions.
Its that simple. Your 80s ideology has led us to the mess we are in today.

Bezos hates unions because they want a decent living for their members. That would eat in to his billions.

What makes you think that unions want a "decent living for their members"? When I worked in a union job, I didn't make shit and I don't think the union gave a shit.

The union is concerned, as always, with feathering their own beds. Extracting what they can from the members and the employers so they can pay their bar tabs at the Italian Club and live a good life.

They aren't opposed to others doing well, but they aren't altruistic, and are more interested in what they can do for themselves.

I've met a lot of union business agents and committee people in my life, the Youngstown Ohio area which I grew up in is still full of Italian Americans, and I certainly aren't against them doing their thing. In fact, I like those fellows and always have.

But don't tell me that they are mother teresa types, I really know better.

What makes you think that unions want a "decent living for their members"? When I worked in a union job, I didn't make shit and I don't think the union gave a shit.

The union is concerned, as always, with feathering their own beds. Extracting what they can from the members and the employers so they can pay their bar tabs at the Italian Club and live a good life.

They aren't opposed to others doing well, but they aren't altruistic, and are more interested in what they can do for themselves.

I've met a lot of union business agents and committee people in my life, the Youngstown Ohio area which I grew up in is still full of Italian Americans, and I certainly aren't against them doing their thing. In fact, I like those fellows and always have.

But don't tell me that they are mother teresa types, I really know better.
You are trapped in your own prejudices.

It's unions that led us to where we are today which is our reliance on China and other countries.

If I only had a ten dollar bill for every one of our former companies I delivered to that either closed down, moved out of state, or out of the country to get away from the union.

I could write a book on my experiences with unions, especially the completely worthless UAW. After a while my employer created a policy that we no longer took any UAW work. He couldn't afford to have a driver sit there the entire day to get unloaded which is something a non-union employee can do within a half-hour to 45 minutes.

People conflate unions with collective bargaining. Unions aren't the only way to accomplish collective bargaining, but they do tend to be highly political and controlling, often pursuing goals that are counterproductive to the employees.

Which is why unions are a dying breed today outside of government.

Our last customer that was union, it was the employees that voted them out. This was a small company and the most worthless employee got the top paying job due to his tenure. The problem was, he couldn't do the job. The owner of the company had to do it for him, and all he did was stand there and watch.

When the employees got sick of seeing this, they got rid of the union. I was told by the shipper the company and employees were never happier. After the union was gone, the employer laid off the guy that had a job he couldn't do along with several other employees I was told were completely useless. The owner put one of the better employees on the highest paying job, the workers didn't have to pick up the slack for the other worthless employees, and because the company was more productive, the remaining employees got a pay increase.

View attachment 676083

I don't know about your country but here, poverty is a choice, not an infliction. Nobody here is forced to work for anybody unless they signed a contract of some sort which are very few. You can leave any job you want, pursue a higher paying career, even work several jobs if you like. It's all up to the individual.

Forum List

Back