St Teresa of Avila was inspired to be a better Christian by... OMG OMG... a STATUE

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
Yes, those *&^%$ statues in the Church

but St Teresa of Avila may not be a saint if not for a state of Christ suffering at Calvary...

so there's that...

When I was a kid, I would hear people say that Jesus died at Calvary. I had no clue what they were talking about ... but I always assumed it looked something like this ...

Detaille_4th_French_hussar_at_Friedland.jpg

it's all about you

Yep, it is. Just like you are all about you.

The only reason why you fear other people going to your fictional Hell is because you get points into your fictional Heaven for trying to convert them.

Yep, it is. Just like you are all about you.

The only reason why you fear other people going to your fictional Hell is because you get points into your fictional Heaven for trying to convert them.
oh, so you know the absolute depths of everyone's soul, heart and mind?

and they say Christians can be judgmental

God does not leave us in darkness. Only when we leave him do we perish.
Teresa of Avila

Last edited:
Yep ... and it ain't that deep.

I've got 2,000 years of xtian history on which to base my insights.
do you know the history of how in England, Catholic priests were not allowed to celebrate mass and if they did they were hunted and killed?

that history is conveniently left out of hte history books... the unreliable, agenda-laden ones

that history is conveniently left out of hte history books...

That fact is very much written into the history of not just England, but xtian sectarian violence in France, and Germany of the 16th to the 18th Centuries.

The Thirty Years War
The Toggenburg War
The Savoyard-Waldensian Wars
The persecution of the Huguenots
The English Civil War even started over sectarian religious conflicts between Catholic and Protestant.

So, it's extremely ill-informed to say that xtian sectarian violence and persecution is not in the History book.

I could recommend several titles from my own bookshelves about that very thing.

That fact is very much written into the history of not just England, but xtian sectarian violence in France, and Germany of the 16th to the 18th Centuries.

The Thirty Years War
The Toggenburg War
The English Civil War even started over sectarian religious conflicts between Catholic and Protestant.

So, it's extremely ill-informed to say that xtian sectarian violence and persecution is not in the History book.

yeh, i know, I am so ill informed and you know everything

I've heard that 1000 times from... name-calling, immature, uneducated... you name it... people

The Thirty Years War
The Toggenburg War

You speak here about wars in a time when the Christian influence in politics broke down. If you take a look at the unbelievable cruel power of the Thirty Years War for example then I ask myselve which social energy the Christian religion had bound before it broke so dramatically and extremely destructive free. The Thirty Years war had been by the way an international war on German soil where for example also French Catholics fought together with Swedish Protestants against German states. It was not really only an inter-confessional war. Also the new form of armies with hired professional soldiers caused heavy problems. The politics of the French and Brits had been for example to near this war and never to let end it because this made their own borders safe and their influence in the world bigger. In the end this war was not lost or won - as far as I know it had been the first war in world history which had been solved.

Nevertheless you are also right: this war is a deep shame for all Europeans and all Christians. World war 1+2 had been a Sunday afternoon walk compared with this ugly war - where for example even the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire became his own enemy by murdering Earl Albrecht von Wallenstein.

Here a "job interview" between Albrecht von Wallenstein and Johannes Kepler which shows very nice some interesting ways how to think in this time of history. I hope it exists somewhere an English translation.

By the way: The Protestant Johannes Kepler - Newton's physic is not thinkable without the physics of Kepler - got always only jobs from Catholics.

Last edited:
fncceo

A detail of the Thirty Years War is perhaps also interesting. The last words of Wallenstein (not an idiot but a very
modern and progressive man of his time) had been: "Quartier, Kamerad!". This shows not only that he had not any idea about that his own "boss", the emperor, had given the order to murder him. This gives us also an insight about the religion of the people in the armies of this time.

"Quartier, Kamerad" is in English "Quarter, comrade". A quarter is a sim of simple rooms (or tents) where comrades sleeps and live. Your word "comrade" will for sure come from the German word "Kamerad" what on his own comes from the word "Kammer" (=chamber). Comrades are the people who share a room in their Quarter. The meaning of this had been: "Do not kill me - I change the "team"m the army, and will go with you and be your comrade".

Unfortunatelly Wallenstein spoke this to an honorless murderer. But why is this important for your ideas about the Christian religion of this time? I guess after a while the method "Quartier, Kamerad" (= to change the army instead to die) took care that in all armies of the 30 years war had been people who had once belonged to all religions and confessions. So religion was not the first motivator to do what they had done.

Yes, those *&^%$ statues in the Church

but St Teresa of Avila may not be a saint if not for a state of Christ suffering at Calvary...

so there's that...
A statue?

Not the iron age mythology handbook?

Wow, seems like anyone can get to point B from any point A, in your religion.

It makes one wonder if the religion is even needed...

Forum List

Back