Zone1 Paul told all women to shut up. Paul was not a nice person.

Actually, Jesus began his public ministry in Galilee where he preached to the descendants of the house of Israel, the so-call lost tribes of the northern kingdom, to whom he was only sent and to whom he sent the disciples.
Perhaps. If that is your belief, it is as good as any. My own is a bit different. And we both might be right. Or wrong.

I am only somewhat joking when I say that when we all get to Heaven and have access to the whole truth of these things, we're all going to have a good laugh at how much of it we got wrong. :)

(I take comfort in my strong suspicion that God is much less impressed by our theology than He is in how we live our lives, how we are responsible and accountable for our actions, and mostly in how we love and respect Him and treat each other.)

Last edited:
Perhaps. If that is your belief, it is as good as any. My own is a bit different. And we both might be right. Or wrong.

I am only somewhat joking when I say that when we all get to Heaven and have access to the whole truth of these things, we're all going to have a good laugh at how much of it we got wrong. :)

(I take comfort in my strong suspicion that God is much less impressed by our theology than He is in how we live our lives, how we are responsible and accountable for our actions, and mostly in how we treat each other.
The particular point I made is very important in understanding Christianity.

Last edited:
and where does his disrespect for women come from?
in greek culture---the dictum was "HER NAME SHOULD NOT BE KNOWN" women
were supposed to remain HOME at all times and not present when men had guests
in the house. <<<< actually true in ancient Greece----homebound and isolated

(I take comfort in my strong suspicion that God is much less impressed by our theology than He is in how we live our lives, how we are responsible and accountable for our actions, and mostly in how we love and respect Him and treat each other.)
Not sure you realize it, but your last paragraph is where the focus is in Judaism: doing good by one’s actions, being kind, giving charity, and treating others as we would like to be treated. Never once throughout my childhood and Jewish education was the afterlife mentioned at all in my family. It just wasn’t part of our Jewish life, although we were kosher, Shabbos observers, Hebrew School, and all the rest.

Are some of you under the impression that women are segregated from men during services because they won’t keep quiet? That’s not it. It’s because the attraction between men and women is so strong that it can interfere with one’s focus on Gd and prayer.

Anecdotally, I may be a bluecollar redneck, but was raised to 'respect' humanity . This means social graces like 'yes sir' 'no sir' ,'yes ma'am, no ma'am' opening doors for the ladies , etc

i suppose that's some quaint notion these days.......

~S~

Anecdotally, I may be a bluecollar redneck, but was raised to 'respect' humanity . This means social graces like 'yes sir' 'no sir' ,'yes ma'am, no ma'am' opening doors for the ladies , etc

~S~
I like when a man holds the door for me. But I guess I’m old-fashioned.

Not sure you realize it, but your last paragraph is where the focus is in Judaism: doing good by one’s actions, being kind, giving charity, and treating others as we would like to be treated. Never once throughout my childhood and Jewish education was the afterlife mentioned at all in my family. It just wasn’t part of our Jewish life, although we were kosher, Shabbos observers, Hebrew School, and all the rest.
The ancient teachings of the Christian Church were often tangled up between the admonition that "faith without works is dead" and "salvation is by grace alone." But there was a strong belief in Heaven and Hell. In the same period covered by our New Testament, the Jewish Pharisees did believe in an afterlife while the Sadducees did not.

With those I've had any discussion about it my current Jewish friends and colleagues seem to be equally divided between those who do believe in an afterlife and those who do not or aren't sure. Some say they don't give it a lot of thought but focus on living here and now which isn't a bad choice in my opinion.

But believing in an afterlife, though I have no idea what it might be like, I am comforted and much less anxious about aging and time running out.

The Roman Catholic Church that evolved from the early Christian groups and dominated the Middle Ages taught then and to some extent even now that salvation was within the Church itself. If you are in good standing in the Church you are automatically heaven bound. The Priesthood had the power to forgive sins and set conditions for forgiveness and also the power to excommunicate a person from the Church which would consign that person to Hell. There were certain dictates and rules Catholics were expected/required.

In the 16th Century a German priest, Martin Luther, departed from RCC theology and returned to salvation by grace to the extreme, i.e. there was NOTHING a person could do to merit the grace of God and be admitted to Heaven but it was God's prerogative along.

And evolving out of that we have a gazillion different Christian denominations, some demanding strict adherence to rules and regulations, some allowing total liberty, and everything in between. Some believe they're the only ones who will go to Heaven, some believe only a relatively small number of people predestined to Heaven will get there, and others do not believe in Hell at all. And other religions have their own point of view about it all.

And in all that, I think those who love the Lord God and their neighbors may get some tweaking now and then, but I am pretty sure they will be okay.

~S~
Quaint perhaps. But much appreciated by those who miss the days when people were respectful and polite to one another.

Are some of you under the impression that women are segregated from men during services because they won’t keep quiet? That’s not it. It’s because the attraction between men and women is so strong that it can interfere with one’s focus on Gd and prayer.
Again the explanation I was given was not that men and women are segregated in the synagogue and in the earliest Christian congregations because women won't be quiet, but rather, at that time, the women weren't always quiet because they were segregated so far from the rabbi/teacher they couldn't hear him and that disrupted the service. That explains Paul's admonition for women to keep quiet in Church.

Again, if that is not true, it ought to be. :)

Again the explanation I was given was not that men and women are segregated in the synagogue and in the earliest Christian congregations because women won't be quiet, but rather, at that time, the women weren't always quiet because they were segregated so far from the rabbi/teacher they couldn't hear him and that disrupted the service. That explains Paul's admonition for women to keep quiet in Church.

since hubby is from a very traditional background, I attend his synagogue --where men and
women are segregated but FAR FROM SILENT. In the Yemenite synagogue---the women
RULE

paul should have been wise enough to say: Stop segregation!

Forum List

Back