Spinal fusion.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
My wife has been suffering for a long time with Spinal Stenosis. She had Spinal fusion surgery Tuesday. She was first on the list so I was able to take her home that same day late. The next day she got out of bed and took one of the Oxycodone tablets they gave her. She said she felt funny and then fainted. I caught her before she hit the floor. She did not fully lose conciousness. I called the hospital and they said she was full of medication from the day before and told me not to leave her alone. She has not taken OXY since.

She has been in a lot of pain at the site of the surgery and the doctors said to keep ice on her constantly to deter hemotoma. I have been a 24-hour caregiver since and she is dong much better now. I left the house today for the first time to get groceries. At night she likes to sleep on her side so I put a small pillow from our couch beween us to keep pressure on the ice pack. This works well. She says she can feel her legs for the first time in years.

I got her a walker at Walgreens and that helps her a lot. They told her not to stay immobilized for long periods because her back could freeze and lose flexilibility. She gets up to walk about every 20 minures-not far but enough to keep moving. She is very bruised at the surgery but the bruises are fading.

No gym, no bowling for me until she is well enough to be independent.

You take care of that woman. If she's anything like mine, she's been taking care of you for years.

Good luck to you and the Mrs., Ray.

Have a good Christmas, or whatever festive occasion you may recognize, and a happy and healthy New Year to you an yours.

She will;l have to do lots of walking for rehab, good luck

You take care of that woman. If she's anything like mine, she's been taking care of you for years.

Good luck to you and the Mrs., Ray.

Have a good Christmas, or whatever festive occasion you may recognize, and a happy and healthy New Year to you an yours.
We will miss a Christmas gathering but you have to roll with punches. I am thankful for modern medicine.

Awww... This is part of the "for better or worse..." huh? James and I have each had to play caretaker for one another at least once. Neither one of us is particularly good at it either, lol! It's not the best of times, but it beats having a paid stranger take care of you.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas anyway and that she has a great recovery, for both of your sakes.

My wife has been suffering for a long time with Spinal Stenosis. She had Spinal fusion surgery Tuesday. She was first on the list so I was able to take her home that same day late. The next day she got out of bed and took one of the Oxycodone tablets they gave her. She said she felt funny and then fainted. I caught her before she hit the floor. She did not fully lose conciousness. I called the hospital and they said she was full of medication from the day before and told me not to leave her alone. She has not taken OXY since.

She has been in a lot of pain at the site of the surgery and the doctors said to keep ice on her constantly to deter hemotoma. I have been a 24-hour caregiver since and she is dong much better now. I left the house today for the first time to get groceries. At night she likes to sleep on her side so I put a small pillow from our couch beween us to keep pressure on the ice pack. This works well. She says she can feel her legs for the first time in years.

I got her a walker at Walgreens and that helps her a lot. They told her not to stay immobilized for long periods because her back could freeze and lose flexilibility. She gets up to walk about every 20 minures-not far but enough to keep moving. She is very bruised at the surgery but the bruises are fading.

Good luck to you and your wife, Ray. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. Hang in there.

Awww... This is part of the "for better or worse..." huh? James and I have each had to play caretaker for one another at least once. Neither one of us is particularly good at it either, lol! It's not the best of times, but it beats having a paid stranger take care of you.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas anyway and that she has a great recovery, for both of your sakes.
How true. She took her first shower today since the surgery. I had to help.

Good man... she will likely return the favor at some point when you need it.

Did you look at this ?
A less invasive procedure called interspinous distraction can reduce or prevent pain in your legs when standing or walking. This is where an implant is placed between the bony projections of your vertebra that extend towards your back (spinous processes) — this reduces the extension of your back.
Whether it is relevant after the procedure your wife has just had is something only your consultant can advise. Hopefully you will never have to think about it if this recent procedure works out well .
Thought it worth mentioning if it has not cropped up already .

I just had a fusion on my lower back, 4/5 and 5. They put a metal webbing around the area securing it with screws, and eventually i will have bone growth to completely secure it. Wont be able to bend as much as i used to, but since the pain, that was radiating down my leg into the calf is now gone, i have been walking well since i got home. Prayers to your wife, and keep her spirits up, and make her laugh, not hard but some, as ......

laughter-is-the-best-medicine-o-pnts-laughter-makes-things-17089107.png

She had Spinal fusion surgery Tuesday. I was able to take her home that same day late. The next day she ~ ~ felt funny and then fainted. I called the hospital and they said she was full of medication from the day before and told me not to leave her alone.

What would happen if your wife lived alone and didn't have you? The hospital has no business sending people home hours after surgery like that. They send people home before recovery to save money. Healthcare is all about the insurance company.

Prayers for you both.

What would happen if your wife lived alone and didn't have you? The hospital has no business sending people home hours after surgery like that. They send people home before recovery to save money. Healthcare is all about the insurance company.

They know me at the hospital I go to.
They know I'll insist on going home as soon as possible to the point I'll hobble my ass out the door whether they want me to or not.
I found that getting out of bed and walking down the hall with the help of a walker is what they're looking for before they'll let you go home.
I was out of the hospital on day two after my back surgery and my hip surgeries.
But like you said,having a significant other makes all the difference.

I just had a fusion on my lower back, 4/5 and 5. They put a metal webbing around the area securing it with screws, and eventually i will have bone growth to completely secure it. Wont be able to bend as much as i used to, but since the pain, that was radiating down my leg into the calf is now gone, i have been walking well since i got home. Prayers to your wife, and keep her spirits up, and make her laugh, not hard but some, as ......

laughter-is-the-best-medicine-o-pnts-laughter-makes-things-17089107.png
Hers were L4 and 5 as well. Good luck and keep moving. Move forward more cautiously than before and don't fall. Keep your bones strong.

Hers were L4 and 5 as well. Good luck and keep moving. Move forward more cautiously than before and don't fall. Keep your bones strong.
Yes, walking is what they recommended, lots of it. Before Surgery, i cringed at the idea of taking even a few steps. Now i get up regularly to walk around.

Forum List

Back