Spielberg intentionally released new West Side Story with no subtitles for Spanish Dialogue.

She only speaks in Spanish when she gets excited. You know, like real people do.

Like she gets mad at her white boyfriend and says

“¡Y tú no eres mi jefe!”

You know what that means. Even if you don't, you have a good idea.

It's a good movie. But so was the original in 1961. I'm not sure why we need another WSS when the first was so good.
Romeo and Juliet remains timeless. Two star-crossed lovers in a world that denies their love. Always packs the house~

Last edited:
Is it still basically denying 1/2 the dialogue to over half the country?

So what is it actually 20%

THATS what you choose to comment on?
Denying? How odd. People pay to see this..if they choose not to...that's their affair, right? It's not like the story is all that hard to follow, anyway.
No denial going on--no deception.

I would have preferred Italian, in a homage to the original inspiration of Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited:

Spielberg intentionally released new West Side Story with no subtitles for Spanish Dialogue​

Doesn’t matter to me. I’m not wasting time or money on it anyway. Although the young starlet is cute and seems to know how to sing.

Denying? How odd. People pay to see this..if then choose not to...that's their affair, right? It's not like the story is all that hard to follow, anyway.
No denial going on--no deception.

I would have preferred Italian, in a homage to the original inspiration of Romeo and Juliet.
If half the damn movie is in a foreign language why pay money to watch it?

or, dont speak spanish and skip the movie entirely

which is what I plan to do

The dumbass story only has one song and dance routine in it that is worth watching. Otherwise it is a pretty damn boring story.

You would lose your bet~

Yeah..and in the original Spanish, at that. I do prefer El Cid, but chasing after windmills was never my thing anyway.

I'll not bother educating you as to Spanish contributions to the world of letters--your bigotry would blind you to them, in any event.

Illegals eh? You do know that there have been Spanish speakers in the US..for almost as long as there's BEEN a US? California, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona have 4th generation American citizens that still speak Spanish in their homes.
White Noise.
Albeit what you say is all true, it doesn't change the fact that it is stupid to make a movie in a language most people don't speak, and not provide subtitles.
All being said... this is still dumb.

White Noise.
Albeit what you say is all true, it doesn't change the fact that it is stupid to make a movie in a language most people don't speak, and not provide subtitles.
All being said... this is still dumb.
It's true Americans pretty much won't watch a movie with subtitles.

They made the original in English, and that was very popular ------ I don't know why they thought they had to use Spanish at all. They didn't the first time.

Uh, no. Guess again?

Also, check yourself a bit. Not everyone who doesn't speak Spanish is crying about this or feels alienated.
Those that want to virtue signal about it sure.
Only a virtue signaling moron would PRETEND to enjoy watching a movie without knowing what is going on.
Like I said, it's stupid and the movie is failing because of it.
It doesn't matter what language, it could have been filmed in Klingon and it wouldn't be any less stupid to not have subtitles.

Forum List

Back