Songs you like but never really knew their meaning until years later.

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2019
For a long time I thought this tune was about a guy going home after time away to see his sweet Mary, hair of gold and lips like cherries..........

For there's a guard, and a sad old padre. On and on we'll walk at day break.

For me, there are too many to name and the reason why I didn't know their meaning is because I was too young to understand them, but I liked them either because of the singer or the music its self.

God bless you and my favorite singers always!!!

Holly

P.S. Once I knew what the songs were about, I only loved the songs more.

Take a walk on the wild side...I never really listened to the lyrics..until one night..while a bit stoned.....and sort of singing along...and i got to 'little joe never once gave it away..everybody had to pay and pay...

and hey...just going to get this link..i found this..and learned once again..that i know nothing...LOl!

Blinded by the light has no meaning...every line in the song is gobbeldygook.

We're All Alone (rita coolege) has double meanings to every line...or each line can be interpreted differently.

Take a walk on the wild side...I never really listened to the lyrics..until one night..while a bit stoned.....and sort of singing along...and i got to 'little joe never once gave it away..everybody had to pay and pay...

Did you miss the line "shaved his legs and then he was a she"? :disbelief:

Some kidnapped handicap was complaining that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night...Well I snapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap and...figured he'd be alright :banana:

For me, there are too many to name and the reason why I didn't know their meaning is because I was too young to understand them, but I liked them either because of the singer or the music its self.

God bless you and my favorite singers always!!!

Holly

P.S. Once I knew what the songs were about, I only loved the songs more.
I'm more or less saying songs you thought were one thing aren't quite that thing, like my OP. Not necessarily as kids.

God Bless you too.

Did you know that ring around the rosie was about the plague?

Ring around the rosie = on your skin you would have bloody lesions (rosie) with a dark ring around it.

Pocket full of posie = A posie is a fragrant flower...a pocket full was used to mask the rotten smell of the bloody lesions on your skin.

Ashes ashes we all fall down = So many were dying they had to burn the bodies in mass.

Last edited:
I'm more or less saying songs you thought were one thing aren't quite that thing, like my OP. Not necessarily as kids.

God Bless you too.
To this day, I still don't know what "Delta Dawn" from country legend Tanya Tucker is about.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly (a fan of Miss T since 1991)

P.S. I once saw a quote from her admitting that she still doesn't know what the song is about either. :) :) :)

I never realized this was about Plant losing his 5 yr old son. Some of the greatest songs are bore out of tragedy. The memory lives on forever is the gesture. Such a masterpiece before they split

Forum List

Back