Something to consider

Half of US hospitals are non-profits and non-profits are some of the most profitable hospitals in the country. The idea that you can impose things on the system and make it better is simply not reality. The government has to own the providers period. Anything else will not work.

From the piece: "I want insurance that covers the catastrophic events that would truly bankrupt me — not the inexpensive, predictable health care services that traditional insurance complicates."

Well, there's some incredibly shallow thinking.

"Bankrupt me"? It might take a $200,000 medical bill to bankrupt him. It might take a $1,000 medical bill to bankrupt someone else.

"Inexpensive, predictable health care services"? What is "inexpensive" to him may be completely unaffordable to someone else. So either they just don't go in and let their health deteriorate and cost much more later, or we put them on Medicaid and let taxpayers foot the bill.

That doesn't solve the overall problem.

At this point, as a conservative I would go along with a Government healthcare system. Just not our Federal Government.

We all hear about the wonders of the healthcare systems in other countries, how great they are, and it’s all run by the government. I would support a law which mandates states to provide healthcare for their citizens on the condition that all money spent on healthcare (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, etc.) now is no longer collected by the IRS.

Let each state, or groups of states if they so choose, develop, managing and pay for their respective systems. The good ones will be copied and tweaked to fit the needs of each state.

The idea of over 300 million people on one system scares the hell out of me. The federal government hasn’t done well running any healthcare system. Why would we ever trust them to run the only system for the entire country?

Forum List

Back