Something that just doesn't make any sense to me...Black Republicans this election cycle

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Ever since I have been old enough to understand politics to a pretty substantive degree, one thing that I just have not understood is the idea of a black person also being a Republican. This election cycle has done nothing at all to help me understand that phenomenon any more than before. If anything, to me, this election cycle gives black more reason than ever to not be Republican.

Well, I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" it.

Perhaps because he’s now taking aim at an individual American citizen, Donald Trump’s attacks on U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel’s Mexican heritage finally made it impossible to rationalize away the fundamentally racist nature of his campaign.

Republicans have tried, in part by squinting hard, to view his plans to raise a wall across the Mexican border and to ban Muslims from entering the country—which Trump doubled down on following the tragic events in Orlando—as policies focused on security, rather than group identity.

That’s a luxury of lax thinking few black Republicans have, and candidate Trump is forcing a reckoning for many of them.

“What are the Black Republicans supposed to do?” said Donald Scoggins, a lifelong Republican and the president of the Republicans for Black Empowerment, to The Daily Beast. “Donald Trump is really putting many Black Republicans in a terrible, terrible situation. We are basically a non-entity in the party right now.”

“Donald Trump wasn’t my first, second, third, or seventeenth choice,” said DeAndre Moore, a lifelong Republican.

For many black Republicans, who think it’s important that African Americans have a viable political alternative to the Democratic Party and want to apply the principles of fiscal and individual responsibility and accountability to impoverished segments of the community, Trump’s candidacy represents a tipping point.

The rise of the birther movement and Trump’s support of it could be dismissed as far-right radicals and a reality TV star talking nonsense and clogging up the airwaves, but not indicative of the mainstream GOP. New voter ID laws and voter suppression efforts could be rationalized as efforts to prevent (mostly imagined) voter fraud. Even the two attendees at the 2012 Republican National Convention who threw peanuts at an African American woman, while saying “this is how we feed the animals,” could be explained away as an outlier.

The RNC’s inaction on their Growth and Opportunity Project, which investigated how the party could do better with minorities following Mitt Romney’s 2012 drubbing, and the recent resignations of their black outreach staff, both frustrated the black Republicans I spoke with but after eight years of racially coded attacks, it is Trump’s rhetoric that has been the final straw.

“I don’t want to be associated with anything that has anything to do with Donald Trump,” said Hugh, one of several black Republicans I spoke with who didn’t want to use their full names out of fear of being excluded from their political communities.

One woman I spoke with expressed her frustration with how the rise of Sarah Palin and then Trump coincided with the rise and fall of Michael Steele as Chairman of the RNC. To her, this all indicated that the GOP preferred inarticulate, unqualified white Americans over well-spoken, experienced African Americans.

In talking with these black Republicans, all felt as though they are being forced to choose between their race and their party. Each said they don’t want to vote for Trump. Some have decided to vote for Hillary Clinton. Others may abstain from voting altogether. Several said that they intend to either purge this racist element from their party or leave it.

Unlike Speaker Paul Ryan, these voters see no way to denounce Trump’s statements as “the textbook definition of a racist comment” while continuing to support him.

They find solace in moderate Republicans like John Kasich, who has thus far refused to endorse Trump, and Mitt Romney who has consistently voiced his dislike of the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. But the fact that both have been marginalized and unable to pose a legitimate challenge to Trump only demonstrated to them how dire the situation has become.

Many of Trump’s racist and dangerous comments are directed towards African Americans, but he couches these statements in coded language that encourages supporters to rationalize their racism away. Condoning his supporters beating up a protester who happens to be African American is not necessarily racist, but when he repeatedly encourages or tacitly endorses his supporters to violently confront and mistreat blacks and other minorities, it’s hard to miss the racism.

“You’re saying that about Mexicans, you’re saying that about me,” said Hugh.

“There is no way that you could even think about voting for someone with that type of language,” said Michelle of Virginia, who does not intend on voting for Trump. “Most Black Republicans behind the scenes will say no [to voting for Trump], and in front of the camera they will say yes.”

Trump is a continuation of the exclusionary social conservatism that most Black Republicans shun.

Many Black Republicans identify as conservative, and may personally oppose gay rights and abortion, but they also approve of the Great Society-era statutes outlawing racial discrimination. Their individual conservative beliefs do not equate to active support of policies that discriminate, harm, and marginalize minorities.

The paradox of the black Republican perspective often runs counter to Republican electoral strategies and impairs the GOP’s ability to appeal to minorities. Nixon’s Southern Strategy, which first won Republicans a virtual electoral lock on the South by using veiled, and not-so-veiled, racist attacks against minorities to appeal to white voters, remains a significant influencer in GOP electoral strategies, and Trump is clearly employing this playbook.

The black Republicans I spoke with see the rise of Trump as representing an era of hopelessness, and a return to the marginalization and social divisions that they aspired to overcome.

“I think the GOP has just gotten comfortable with not having the black vote,” said Moore. “As a black Republican, I’ll just say that this is a major embarrassment, total embarrassment. I’m trying to find something to give me some hope, but it is just not happening, obviously.”
So what gives? And mind you, I'm not looking for comparison-based or negativity-based explanations. I know what those reasons are, and they aren't unique to one's being black. What I want to know, ideally from black Republicans, is what about the GOP makes it a good party to belong to in general as well as for this election cycle?

It's just tribal. Blacks are with Democrats even though Democrats screw them over, whites are with Republicans even though Republicans screw them over.

It's the racial identity that determines it. There will be some that cross lines, yes.

Seems that, despite beliefs of both Republicans and Democrats, some have the ability to think for themselves.

Trump was the first in Palm Beach to break down the racial and religious barriers with Mar a Lago.

This is proven and on record. He let blacks and jews in.

All who say he's a racist come off looking like assholes.

Ever since I have been old enough to understand politics to a pretty substantive degree, one thing that I just have not understood is the idea of a black person also being a Republican. This election cycle has done nothing at all to help me understand that phenomenon any more than before. If anything, to me, this election cycle gives black more reason than ever to not be Republican.

Well, I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" it.

Perhaps because he’s now taking aim at an individual American citizen, Donald Trump’s attacks on U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel’s Mexican heritage finally made it impossible to rationalize away the fundamentally racist nature of his campaign.

Republicans have tried, in part by squinting hard, to view his plans to raise a wall across the Mexican border and to ban Muslims from entering the country—which Trump doubled down on following the tragic events in Orlando—as policies focused on security, rather than group identity.

That’s a luxury of lax thinking few black Republicans have, and candidate Trump is forcing a reckoning for many of them.

“What are the Black Republicans supposed to do?” said Donald Scoggins, a lifelong Republican and the president of the Republicans for Black Empowerment, to The Daily Beast. “Donald Trump is really putting many Black Republicans in a terrible, terrible situation. We are basically a non-entity in the party right now.”

“Donald Trump wasn’t my first, second, third, or seventeenth choice,” said DeAndre Moore, a lifelong Republican.

For many black Republicans, who think it’s important that African Americans have a viable political alternative to the Democratic Party and want to apply the principles of fiscal and individual responsibility and accountability to impoverished segments of the community, Trump’s candidacy represents a tipping point.

The rise of the birther movement and Trump’s support of it could be dismissed as far-right radicals and a reality TV star talking nonsense and clogging up the airwaves, but not indicative of the mainstream GOP. New voter ID laws and voter suppression efforts could be rationalized as efforts to prevent (mostly imagined) voter fraud. Even the two attendees at the 2012 Republican National Convention who threw peanuts at an African American woman, while saying “this is how we feed the animals,” could be explained away as an outlier.

The RNC’s inaction on their Growth and Opportunity Project, which investigated how the party could do better with minorities following Mitt Romney’s 2012 drubbing, and the recent resignations of their black outreach staff, both frustrated the black Republicans I spoke with but after eight years of racially coded attacks, it is Trump’s rhetoric that has been the final straw.

“I don’t want to be associated with anything that has anything to do with Donald Trump,” said Hugh, one of several black Republicans I spoke with who didn’t want to use their full names out of fear of being excluded from their political communities.

One woman I spoke with expressed her frustration with how the rise of Sarah Palin and then Trump coincided with the rise and fall of Michael Steele as Chairman of the RNC. To her, this all indicated that the GOP preferred inarticulate, unqualified white Americans over well-spoken, experienced African Americans.

In talking with these black Republicans, all felt as though they are being forced to choose between their race and their party. Each said they don’t want to vote for Trump. Some have decided to vote for Hillary Clinton. Others may abstain from voting altogether. Several said that they intend to either purge this racist element from their party or leave it.

Unlike Speaker Paul Ryan, these voters see no way to denounce Trump’s statements as “the textbook definition of a racist comment” while continuing to support him.

They find solace in moderate Republicans like John Kasich, who has thus far refused to endorse Trump, and Mitt Romney who has consistently voiced his dislike of the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. But the fact that both have been marginalized and unable to pose a legitimate challenge to Trump only demonstrated to them how dire the situation has become.

Many of Trump’s racist and dangerous comments are directed towards African Americans, but he couches these statements in coded language that encourages supporters to rationalize their racism away. Condoning his supporters beating up a protester who happens to be African American is not necessarily racist, but when he repeatedly encourages or tacitly endorses his supporters to violently confront and mistreat blacks and other minorities, it’s hard to miss the racism.

“You’re saying that about Mexicans, you’re saying that about me,” said Hugh.

“There is no way that you could even think about voting for someone with that type of language,” said Michelle of Virginia, who does not intend on voting for Trump. “Most Black Republicans behind the scenes will say no [to voting for Trump], and in front of the camera they will say yes.”

Trump is a continuation of the exclusionary social conservatism that most Black Republicans shun.

Many Black Republicans identify as conservative, and may personally oppose gay rights and abortion, but they also approve of the Great Society-era statutes outlawing racial discrimination. Their individual conservative beliefs do not equate to active support of policies that discriminate, harm, and marginalize minorities.

The paradox of the black Republican perspective often runs counter to Republican electoral strategies and impairs the GOP’s ability to appeal to minorities. Nixon’s Southern Strategy, which first won Republicans a virtual electoral lock on the South by using veiled, and not-so-veiled, racist attacks against minorities to appeal to white voters, remains a significant influencer in GOP electoral strategies, and Trump is clearly employing this playbook.

The black Republicans I spoke with see the rise of Trump as representing an era of hopelessness, and a return to the marginalization and social divisions that they aspired to overcome.

“I think the GOP has just gotten comfortable with not having the black vote,” said Moore. “As a black Republican, I’ll just say that this is a major embarrassment, total embarrassment. I’m trying to find something to give me some hope, but it is just not happening, obviously.”
So what gives? And mind you, I'm not looking for comparison-based or negativity-based explanations. I know what those reasons are, and they aren't unique to one's being black. What I want to know, ideally from black Republicans, is what about the GOP makes it a good party to belong to in general as well as for this election cycle?

Ok so in the 90's he was the first club owner in Palm Beach to let in blacks. So he's racist? You want to keep this mother fucking lie going?

I'm trying to figure this out. I really am fucking trying to figure out how you guys can keep on lying about Trump. He fucking broke the color and religious barriers in Palm Beach. THIS IS ON MOTHER FUCKING RECORD. He broke them with his club.

And you guys keep lying about him.

I'm trying to figure this out. I really am fucking trying to figure out how you guys can keep on lying about Trump. He fucking broke the color and religious barriers in Palm Beach. THIS IS ON MOTHER FUCKING RECORD. He broke them with his club.

passing false accusations of racism is all they know how to do, they never bothered to learn any other skills, they're just used to throwing the tantrums for the gibmedats.

passing false accusations of racism is all they know how to do, they never bothered to learn any other skills, they're just used to throwing the tantrums for the gibmedats.

It's sad.

He spent DECADES not renting to blacks in New York City and calling them lazy and shiftless in public.

This is on record dumb dumb.

Yeah it's all black peoples fault they don't like Trump, not Trump's fault he says stupid things. :rofl:

Yeah, he says stupid stuff about how we need to secure our border....do a proper vetting of muslim refugees over here that Barrypuppet is allowing in overtly and covertly while circumventing our immigration laws...the very nerve of Trump to say that these unfair "Free trade" agreements need to be renegotiated and that we should reject globalism. We need someone like Hitlery that has been given the blessing of the robber barons like the Rockefellers and Rothschilds!!!

Seriously speaking, you are one stupid, uninformed piece of shit. I don't know if Trump is legit but I know damn well that Hitlery is a globalist as well as a thief that has used "gubermint" muscle to silence her detractors. She is the female version of Mao Tse Tung....is that what you want?

He spent DECADES not renting to blacks in New York City and calling them lazy and shiftless in public.

This is on record dumb dumb.

That's a flat out lie MarcATL. He had some sons of bitches that did that and he if he could have would have strangled the assholes. I was horrified but I got it that what had happened is that a rental company that was hired decided to play that game. I mean you can try to be perfect but sometimes you fuck up and hire the wrong people. And you better come up with the lazy and shiftless bullshit. For a man that took on Palm Beach and this is a big deal man. He flipped off all of them and then opened his doors.

Do you know what it took to flip them all off?

Marc when he opened Mar a Lago to blacks and Jews IT WAS A BIG FUCKING DEAL. Don't you guys get it?

Yeah it's all black peoples fault they don't like Trump, not Trump's fault he says stupid things. :rofl:

Yeah, he says stupid stuff about how we need to secure our border....do a proper vetting of muslim refugees over here that Barrypuppet is allowing in overtly and covertly while circumventing our immigration laws...the very nerve of Trump to say that these unfair "Free trade" agreements need to be renegotiated and that we should reject globalism. We need someone like Hitlery that has been given the blessing of the robber barons like the Rockefellers and Rothschilds!!!

Seriously speaking, you are one stupid, uninformed piece of shit. I don't know if Trump is legit but I know damn well that Hitlery is a globalist as well as a thief that has used "gubermint" muscle to silence her detractors. She is the female version of Mao Tse Tung....is that what you want?

:booze:

Some days I really think some of you really really don't want to get it. I have everything I need. I have everything I need out here. But I look at you and wonder. Some like Dale and others will be out there and they will be ok. But the rest of you. My oh my.

She scares the shit out of me man. And that's saying something. The thought of her in power. Terrifying. I'm going back to freaking bow and percussion for crying out loud. Man oh man I haven't done this shit in years but damned straight I'm doing it again.

This illustrates the fact that African-Americans are just the same as everyone else, and can be just as ignorant and wrong as any other white, Hispanic, or Muslim who supports the likes of Trump.

Two cases on the Second were brought by black men. These are the cases that fucking bitch said the SCOTUS got wrong. Clinton said the Supreme Court Judges got WRONG. The 2nd was upheld and the good Lord bless them they pulled in the 14th.

But that **** Clinton said they got it wrong.

Forum List

Back