Some Good Economic News for a Change

CEO pay has accelerated far faster than growth in wages or GDP over the past two decades. Yet there is no correlation between CEO pay and performance. In fact, there is evidence that the more a CEO is paid, the worse the company does.

Does pessimism raise risk of double dip?
:confused:
Does gathering gloom raise risk of double dip?
6/17/2011 - With recovery limping along, pessimism could begin weighing on growth
This month marks the second anniversary of an economic expansion that began at the end of what is now being called the Great Recession. But for millions of small businesses and households, the economic recovery has yet to arrive. Frank Goodnight, owner of Diversified Graphics, a Salisbury, N.C., printing company with 12 employees, is among them. In 37 years, he has survived some tough economic times. But never like this. "This recession is equal to the other four doubled,” he said. “Business has just been so bad for so long that right now we’re just hunkered down trying to survive.”

Consumer sentiment worsened more than expected in June on renewed concerns about the outlook for the economy, a survey released Friday showed . It was just the latest in a series of surveys that have pointed to a marked downward shift in the outlook for jobs, housing and the stock market. Economists say the lingering effects of the Great Recession help explain why so many businesses, investors and consumers remain so gloomy about the outlook for the U.S. economy. The mood appears to be worsening, leading to a concern among economists and others of a self-fulfilling prophecy -- that worried consumers will slow spending, further hampering the recovery, and perhaps raising the risk of a double-dip recession or at least yielding years of sluggish growth.

"Even though the US will probably escape another recession, the inability and reluctance of households to spend will result in a number of years of sub-par economic growth," said Paul Dales, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics. “If you think things are going to get bad and you stop buying, things will get bad,” said Goodnight, the printing company owner. “And that’s where we are right now. Everyone is afraid of the deficits. They’re afraid of the new regulations that are coming down fairly soon. They’re afraid about health care. And no one’s going to make a major investment when there’s this much uncertainty in the air.”

You don’t have to look far to find the source of all this gloom. A solid economic expansion slowed to a sluggish 1.8 percent annual growth rate in the first quarter. After posting healthy gains for most of this year, the job market stalled badly in May. The rising cost of gasoline has taken a big bite out of household budgets, though pump prices have recently begun to back down from a peak of nearly $4 a gallon. After stabilizing last year, home prices have begun falling again. Since the housing bubble burst in 2006, about $10 trillion in household wealth has been wiped out. Some 12 million homeowners with mortgages — roughly one in four — owe more than their home is worth. That means they’ll be cutting into future savings to pay off a debt that will leave them with little to show for it once they’re done.

More Does pessimism raise risk of double dip? - Business - Eye on the Economy - msnbc.com

Bonuses and record incentive pay all during 2009 especially.
The worst year for just about every American alive - except Wall Street and corporate banks.
Right after receiving $billions in taxpayer bailouts....what a coincidence.

Maybe it's because these CEOs lead their companies to higher profits? Hey look, I know most of these guys are overpaid, the average of the CEOs they looked at was about 9 mllion. Probably the stockholders should have more power in the compensation packages, but geez guys, when are you going to stop pissing and moaning about these guys?

So you raise taxes on these guys like Obama wants to, and you get maybe 70 billion extra in revenue a year. In todays economy that ain't shit, it's not going to help anybody and may actually hurt if the rich guys park their money offshore or in tax shelters of some kind. When are you going to stop focusing on fucking fairness and start thinking about what we need to do to grow the economy.

Already tried a big stimulus package, didn't help. You need the rich guys and big corps to invest here, but they are less likely to do that if you raise taxes. You need the "irrational exuberance" we had back in the 90s, a tax hike sure as hell isn't going to help in that regard.

Maybe it's because these CEOs lead their companies to higher profits? Hey look, I know most of these guys are overpaid, the average of the CEOs they looked at was about 9 mllion. Probably the stockholders should have more power in the compensation packages, but geez guys, when are you going to stop pissing and moaning about these guys?

So you raise taxes on these guys like Obama wants to, and you get maybe 70 billion extra in revenue a year. In todays economy that ain't shit, it's not going to help anybody and may actually hurt if the rich guys park their money offshore or in tax shelters of some kind. When are you going to stop focusing on fucking fairness and start thinking about what we need to do to grow the economy.

Already tried a big stimulus package, didn't help. You need the rich guys and big corps to invest here, but they are less likely to do that if you raise taxes. You need the "irrational exuberance" we had back in the 90s, a tax hike sure as hell isn't going to help in that regard.

Yea right, "FAIRNESS" ------> bad!

I can see one good indicator. Before the last year of Bush's second term, I used to get calls about once a month from headhunters asking if I would be interested in changing my job. Headhunters spend a lot of time attempting to lure engineers away from where they are working to another company. Many make their money doing that and engineers who are currently working are very desirable.

I haven't had a single offer since then until last month. That's "two" offers I've had now. One last month and one this month. That's a "personal" indication that people may be hiring. Because it's not backed by any statistics I'm not aware of, it may mean nothing.

Software Engineers in Short Supply for U.S. Firms

Can it be true? Strong hiring for engineers | Machine Design

One place to test the strength of employment trends is with people who make their living finding new hires: headhunters and recruiters looking for engineers. Those we’ve talked to recently say their business is getting much better.

Yea right, "FAIRNESS" ------> bad!

Not bad, just stupid if you're letting it get in the way of economic recovery.

Forum List

Back