Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

abu afak

ALLAH SNACKBAR!
Mar 3, 2006
A nice contemporary test of some of best usage new tech.
Solar + Battery in planned communities of good size some linked to the grid, some to other communities, and some houses linked to each other as well.
Many other non-Solars will wait days/weeks for power.

Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida​

Storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage​

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

"Neighborhoods powered by solar panels with backup batteries weathered the direct onslaught of Hurricane Ian in Florida, utilities and developers said, keeping the lights on throughout the storm while millions of others lost power.

At least three solar-powered communities near Fort Myers and Tampa made it through Ian without losing electricity. Some also had hardened electrical infrastructure, including buried lines and stronger power poles, that helped them weather the storm and its aftermath.

At the new Medley neighborhood south of Tampa, utility Tampa Electric Co. has a pilot project with 37 new homes equipped with utility-owned rooftop solar and home batteries. When Ian knocked out power to about 295,000 customers in the area, Medley was disconnected from the rest of the electric system, but it never lost power.

The power systems of the homes in Medley are linked and solar on the roof of one home has the ability to power neighboring houses, said Archie Collins, chief executive of Tampa Electric, a subsidiary of Emera Inc.
“They were isolated from the grid, and they rode through the entire hurricane without any loss of power, whereas the neighbors who weren’t on that microgrid unfortunately did lose power,” Mr. Collins said."...>

[............]

`

So only 37 homes equipped with rooftop solar had power, while 295,000 customers had none?

This is big news, man!!! Solar power has saved the day in Florida, yup, you betcha!!!

Yowsa, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread! 37 homes still had power, out of 295,000. That's like 0.0125423728813559 percent!

Yuppers, that solar power has saved the day in the Sunshine state. Any day now there will be solar powered airplanes, solar powered washing machines, solar powered gas stations, even solar powered dildos.

:21: :lmao: :auiqs.jpg::laughing0301:

Solar + Battery in planned communities of good size some linked to the grid, some to other communities, and some houses linked to each other as well.

Storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage​

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

"Neighborhoods powered by solar panels with backup batteries weathered the direct onslaught of Hurricane Ian in Florida, utilities and developers said, keeping the lights on throughout the storm while millions of others lost power.

At least three solar-powered communities near Fort Myers and Tampa made it through Ian without losing electricity. Some also had hardened electrical infrastructure, including buried lines and stronger power poles, that helped them weather the storm and its aftermath.

At the new Medley neighborhood south of Tampa, utility Tampa Electric Co. has a pilot project with 37 new homes equipped with utility-owned rooftop solar and home batteries. When Ian knocked out power to about 295,000 customers in the area, Medley was disconnected from the rest of the electric system, but it never lost power.

The power systems of the homes in Medley are linked and solar on the roof of one home has the ability to power neighboring houses, said Archie Collins, chief executive of Tampa Electric, a subsidiary of Emera Inc.
“They were isolated from the grid, and they rode through the entire hurricane without any loss of power, whereas the neighbors who weren’t on that microgrid unfortunately did lose power,” Mr. Collins said."...>

[............]

`
Ok, so having a mixture of available platforms is great, but in order to have this then balances need to be struck where as we should category each into classifications of primary and secondary platforms. It's all good technology, and the war between it all needs to stop or it'll all be for nothing.

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

[............]

`
My generator stayed on when the power was out, even after dark, when Solar produces no energy. I wonder how many solar panels were ripped off the roofs of their houses?

So only 37 homes equipped with rooftop solar had power, while 295,000 customers had none?

This is big news, man!!! Solar power has saved the day in Florida, yup, you betcha!!!

Yowsa, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread! 37 homes still had power, out of 295,000. That's like 0.0125423728813559 percent!

Yuppers, that solar power has saved the day in the Sunshine state. Any day now there will be solar powered airplanes, solar powered washing machines, solar powered gas stations, even solar powered dildos.

:21: :lmao: :auiqs.jpg::laughing0301:
Ctd

"...Solar paired with storage fared relatively well during Hurricane Ida in Louisiana in September 2021, including at a 50-unit affordable apartment building that kept power as the storm knocked out transmission lines carrying electricity into New Orleans.

Logan Burke, executive director of the nonprofit Alliance for Affordable Energy in New Orleans, said the systems can help beyond storms by relieving pressure on the grid during periods of high demand.

In Babcock Ranch north of Fort Myers, an 840-acre solar farm and a battery storage system helped power the master-planned community...

Solar came back online to power the community the morning after the storm passed, when much of southwest Florida was without power.

In all, Florida Power & Light had 38 solar farms in the Path of the Storm, with just 0.3% of its 11.7 million panels damaged, Mr. Silagy said.""

-----
`

Ctd

"...Solar paired with storage fared relatively well during Hurricane Ida in Louisiana in September 2021, including at a 50-unit affordable apartment building that kept power as the storm knocked out transmission lines carrying electricity into New Orleans.

Logan Burke, executive director of the nonprofit Alliance for Affordable Energy in New Orleans, said the systems can help beyond storms by relieving pressure on the grid during periods of high demand.

In Babcock Ranch north of Fort Myers, an 840-acre solar farm and a battery storage system helped power the master-planned community...

Solar came back online to power the community the morning after the storm passed, when much of southwest Florida was without power.

In all, Florida Power & Light had 38 solar farms in the Path of the Storm, with just 0.3% of its 11.7 million panels damaged, Mr. Silagy said.""

-----
`
I bet you are an investor in Chinese Solar Panel Factories. Right there with Joe Biden...

My generator stayed on when the power was out, even after dark, when Solar produces no energy. I wonder how many solar panels were ripped off the roofs of their houses?
In usually Sunny Florida the sun will likely be out the day after a storm.
I uh, think the batteries will last much longer than that.

All highlighting why ie, the Southwest/West would not even need much back up at all.

`

In usually Sunny Florida the sun will likely be out the day after a storm.
I uh, think the batteries will last much longer than that.

All highlighting why ie, the Southwest/West would not even need much back up at all.

`
In Sunny Californication, the solar panel farms are caked in 3 inches of dust. I asked my son, when does it rain? He said in February. So one month out of the year, you might get energy out of the panels, the rest of the time, not much. But you can go ahead and put panels all over your roof, back yard, even on your car, if you want, but dont come to me saying i have to, cause i will tell you to shove those panels where the "Sun Dont Shine"...

Why should we care in what anyone invests?
If it's a national security issue, then we had best pay attention... We've lost to much in this country by these greed driven sell outs as it is.

If it's a national security issue, then we had best pay attention... We've lost to much in this country by these greed driven sell outs as it is.
What do you believe to be a national security issue here? I've never seen a case where investors were given the keys to the off switch.

What do you believe to be a national security issue here? I've never seen a case where investors were given the keys to the off switch.
Really dude ? You don't understand how investment's in the wrong ways can undermine our security, our people, and a whole host of other things... Don't play dumb with me, unless well maybe you are dumb, then my apologies for that oversight.

Really dude ? You don't understand how investment's in the wrong ways can undermine our security, our people, and a whole host of other things... Don't play dumb with me, unless well maybe you are dumb, then my apologies for that oversight.
I asked you a question. Do you have an answer?

Push to install or push for investment?
I saw a news organization interview someone who bought into the idea of putting solar for his house. It cost him $30,000 to install, and he was told it would save him over $500 a month on electrical bills. He found out that with the installation it only saved him $100 a month so he still had a $300 a month electrical bill. You want to be a sucker and buy into the bullshit, go for it, just dont come down here and force me to buy it. I will run you off my property lickity split.

I don't answer many dumb questions as a rule. Try another question maybe or rephrase it if you'd like... That one has been answered. If you didn't like the answer then that's on you, but I ain't playing your games.

I asked you a question. Do you have an answer?

Forum List

Back