Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

A nice contemporary test of some of best usage new tech.
Solar + Battery in planned communities of good size some linked to the grid, some to other communities, and some houses linked to each other as well.
Many other non-Solars will wait days/weeks for power.

Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida​

Storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage​

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

"Neighborhoods powered by solar panels with backup batteries weathered the direct onslaught of Hurricane Ian in Florida, utilities and developers said, keeping the lights on throughout the storm while millions of others lost power.

At least three solar-powered communities near Fort Myers and Tampa made it through Ian without losing electricity. Some also had hardened electrical infrastructure, including buried lines and stronger power poles, that helped them weather the storm and its aftermath.

At the new Medley neighborhood south of Tampa, utility Tampa Electric Co. has a pilot project with 37 new homes equipped with utility-owned rooftop solar and home batteries. When Ian knocked out power to about 295,000 customers in the area, Medley was disconnected from the rest of the electric system, but it never lost power.

The power systems of the homes in Medley are linked and solar on the roof of one home has the ability to power neighboring houses, said Archie Collins, chief executive of Tampa Electric, a subsidiary of Emera Inc.
“They were isolated from the grid, and they rode through the entire hurricane without any loss of power, whereas the neighbors who weren’t on that microgrid unfortunately did lose power,” Mr. Collins said."...>

[............]

`
Wrong!!!!!!

My stupid neighbor spent $30K for those idiotic solar panels. He had them installed last Spring.

When Hurricane Ian came and the power went out and we in the neigborhood had to power with our gas generators we all thought that maybe he was the smart one. Wrong! He was a dumbass. He spent all that money but he also had to use a gas generator. He ran one just like the rest of us and it was bright and sunny after the hurricane passed.

That solar shit don't work.

Wrong!!!!!!

My stupid neighbor spent $30K for those idiotic solar panels. He had them installed last Spring.

When Hurricane Ian came and the power went out and we in the neigborhood had to power with our gas generators we all thought that maybe he was the smart one. Wrong! He was a dumbass. He spent all that money but he also had to use a gas generator. He ran one just like the rest of us and it was bright and sunny after the hurricane passed.

He must have had a grid tie system. When the power failed, so did his system.

This thread is a perfect example of how a lack of understanding of these systems can simply destroy them and those who buy them.

Regions that used battery storage and had systems large enough to charge the systems and operate the load during the day did well. Grid tie systems did not do anything to help because the base load power failed. These systems augment the power on the grid but are incapable of replacing the base generation power.

Wrong!!!!!!

Why did he also need a gas generator?

I don't answer many dumb questions as a rule. Try another question maybe or rephrase it if you'd like... That one has been answered. If you didn't like the answer then that's on you, but I ain't playing your games.
You suggested that what people invest in (presumably vis-a-vis power generation technologies) could be a security issue. I asked you to explain. I don't think that qualifies as a dumb question.

This thread is a perfect example of how a lack of understanding of these systems can simply destroy them and those who buy them.

Regions that used battery storage and had systems large enough to charge the systems and operate the load during the day did well. Grid tie systems did not do anything to help because the base load power failed. These systems augment the power on the grid but are incapable of replacing the base generation power.
That is hardly the fault of the photovoltaics.

You suggested that what people invest in (presumably vis-a-vis power generation technologies) could be a security issue. I asked you to explain. I don't think that qualifies as a dumb question.
It's a dumb question because just like Hunter Biden, he was sitting on a board with no knowledge of the industry, but he was invested in that energy company or maybe he wasn't invested... Who knows, but turns out it was a national security issue, and it still is to this day. Stay tuned I guess.

That is hardly the fault of the photovoltaics.
Its a fault of design. Its a fault of ignorance. It may even be deliberate lying about these systems capabilities. IT is most certainly a fault of lying about these systems capabilities by Big green and alarmists. It is the deception by you people that really hurts people.

This is most certainly a safety and security issue. IF your missile defense system needs electricity to function and you have one of these systems, when the power goes out you are a sitting duck. IF in winter the power goes out your system will not generate power to keep you warm and alive. This is not a laughing matter unless were laughing at the ignorance that pushed this crap. If you need a ventilator, this is most certainly a safety and security issue.

Why did he also need a gas generator?
I didn't go down the street and ask him. That is his business, not mine. I just heard his generator running. So did the other neighbors. We were wondering WTF?

I suspect it was because the system really didn't put out enough electricity, even with the sunny day after the hurricane passed.

I know it wasn't because his system was just designed to feed electricity back into the grid to offset the cost. We don't have that here.

Solar is shitty technology.

He must have had a grid tie system. When the power failed, so did his system.
No, we don't have that here.

Besides, even with a zero metering system what the hell use is it to have a system that generates electricity but doesn't work when you need it the most? Kinda of dumb, isn't it?

I didn't go down the street and ask him. That is his business, not mine. I just heard his generator running. So did the other neighbors. We were wondering WTF?

I suspect it was because the system really didn't put out enough electricity, even with the sunny day after the hurricane passed.

I know it wasn't because his system was just designed to feed electricity back into the grid to offset the cost. We don't have that here.

IF his system was undersized or failed to have sufficient battery capacity then that's an issue with his planning and engineering. Thats more the problem of someone buying something they have no clue how to use or how to set it up properly.

IF his system was undersized or failed to have sufficient battery capacity then that's an issue with his planning and engineering. Thats more the problem of someone buying something they have no clue how to use or how to set it up properly.
The issue is he bought the goddamn thing and when he needed it the most he had to use a gas generator.

It's a dumb question because just like Hunter Biden, he was sitting on a board with no knowledge of the industry, but he was invested in that energy company or maybe he wasn't invested... Who knows, but turns out it was a national security issue, and it still is to this day. Stay tuned I guess.
Stay tuned to what? Why don't you just answer the question? What security issues - what potential threats to the United States - do you see in these sorts of investments?

This is most certainly a safety and security issue. IF your missile defense system needs electricity to function and you have one of these systems, when the power goes out you are a sitting duck. IF in winter the power goes out your system will not generate power to keep you warm and alive. This is not a laughing matter unless were laughing at the ignorance that pushed this crap. If you need a ventilator, this is most certainly a safety and security issue.
I don't think you're following the actual question. As I understand it, a concern has been expressed that investing in certain technologies or certain businesses or into other countries ITSELF is a security threat. And I am wondering why.

Then he doesn't know what he has or has no idea how to use it.
He put in the stupid system, told another neighborhood that it cost $30K and along comes a storm that knocks out power and he hooks up a gas powered generator. LOL!

If your point is that he is an idiot for getting the stupid thing then I agree with you.

Since we don't have zero metering here I suspect he doesn't have much storage of what was generated. Of course it was cloudy for about three days before the storm hit so (as we all know) no sun, no power.

He put in the stupid system, told another neighborhood that it cost $30K and along comes a storm that knocks out power and he hooks up a gas powered generator. LOL!

If your point is that he is an idiot for getting the stupid thing then I agree with you.

Since we don't have zero metering here I suspect he doesn't have much storage of what was generated. Of course it was cloudy for about three days before the storm hit so (as we all know) no sun, no power.

Reread Billy Bob's post #33. Nothing you've told us about your neighbor's solar panel supports your evaluation of the technology.

most people have no clue and buy it as a political statement. These types of people do virtue signaling and buy crap that has no practical use. Three days of battery storage is too low for the region's storms.

This is all virtue signaling stupidity. Most cities will not allow proper storage sizes and hybrid systems due to the "aesthetic properties" they don't like. More big green stupidity...

Forum List

Back