Social Security Disability Dependency Bullshit

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
My brother-in-law has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). He was diagnosed when he was still married to his horrendous wife. His condition when South bad when he was with her and in heartless way she tossed him out and divorced him. He had no money or job and was in such bad condition he couldn't work.

After a long and very difficult process, he got on SSN disability. Regardless of the propaganda, getting on SS disability was tough. He had a document disabling disease, but still had to get lawyers involved to get approved. He gets $1,700 a month (his bitch contested the SSN and get $400 of it).

That was a few years ago. Fast forward until now. He feels better now and would like to start work instead of SSND., however, he was told if he works and makes more than $700 a month, then he gets kicked off SSND, which isn't an issue, because that is what he wants. However, once you are kicked off, his attorney told him it's nearly impossible to get back on.

MS is a mysterious and unpredictable disease. While he feels alright at the moment he could have a relapse and be in a wheel chair unable to work.

So he is in a tough position. He can't live off of $1700, but if he has a relapse he won't be able to work.

What he wants to do is go off disability and see if his body will work and go back on if he has a relapse.

HOWEVER, he is sitting status quo, because he is deathly afraid of becoming disabled without disability.

This is not what this program should do? It should punish a person who is on disability from seeking to stand on his/her two feet. I personally think SSD should allow a person to go off and get a job, but give them a more streamlined process to get back on with a doctor stating a relapse of the disabling event (as long as the disability is an illness).

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
My brother-in-law has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). He was diagnosed when he was still married to his horrendous wife. His condition when South bad when he was with her and in heartless way she tossed him out and divorced him. He had no money or job and was in such bad condition he couldn't work.

After a long and very difficult process, he got on SSN disability. Regardless of the propaganda, getting on SS disability was tough. He had a document disabling disease, but still had to get lawyers involved to get approved. He gets $1,700 a month (his bitch contested the SSN and get $400 of it).

That was a few years ago. Fast forward until now. He feels better now and would like to start work instead of SSND., however, he was told if he works and makes more than $700 a month, then he gets kicked off SSND, which isn't an issue, because that is what he wants. However, once you are kicked off, his attorney told him it's nearly impossible to get back on.

MS is a mysterious and unpredictable disease. While he feels alright at the moment he could have a relapse and be in a wheel chair unable to work.

So he is in a tough position. He can't live off of $1700, but if he has a relapse he won't be able to work.

What he wants to do is go off disability and see if his body will work and go back on if he has a relapse.

HOWEVER, he is sitting status quo, because he is deathly afraid of becoming disabled without disability.

This is not what this program should do? It should punish a person who is on disability from seeking to stand on his/her two feet. I personally think SSD should allow a person to go off and get a job, but give them a more streamlined process to get back on with a doctor stating a relapse of the disabling event (as long as the disability is an illness).

and the people who are ripping the system off have no problems continuing to rip it off....i hear you G....

Doesn't seem all that difficult to me. He should work whatever job he can find to make $699.99 a month. If his condition remains positive and he wants to "wean" himself off disability, he would have as much time as necessary to do it.

You can't blame "The System" for not finding the ideal solution for every imaginable circumstance. For virtually everyone applying for a SS disabilty, their condition is permanent.

I was on SSDI. In order to qualify, your disability must be "permanent". If it turns out that you can go back to work, later, that means that your disability was not "permanent, which means that they made a mistake putting you on it is the first place. Therefore, nobody at SS is going to go down on the record of having made the same mistake twice, by declaring the same disabling condition "permanent" again. Yes, it is a "Catch-22, but it is what it is, and makes sense from a bureaucratic point of view.

Our system is not consistent and contains little common sense. First, I know illegal aliens who were practically offered SSN disability, like Obama's aunt. They did not have much trouble getting on it. Secondly, once on disability it's like they would rather you stay put. The system discourages people becoming independent again and they hold the threat over their heads that if things don't work out in the long run, the people are screwed. It would make sense to get people on their feet, even if only for a while. Think of the money we'd save and people would have a chance to be independent without fear of being permanently left in the cold. So, the people just stay on the doles and are stuck.

Welfare people are also encouraged to stay put. One woman was told she'd be cut off immediately and then was reminded that if she stayed on longer, she would get help with child care when she found a job. Some choice. She could pass up a good job offer in hopes of finding another one down the road and getting help or she would suffer a while because aid would stop and she'd be going without things for a few months until she saved enough money for a new place. They go out of their way to make it difficult. They offer help, then turn against people who want to stop getting help.

My youngest brother reluctantly went on disability after three surgeries failed to fix problems with his back and shoulder. He has always been a hard worker and it was sure tough when he couldn't work for 4 years and didn't get any help. He fought for years to get disability after doctors told him he could never go back to work. His wife had a job, but not enough to maintain the standard of living they were used to so they went without a lot of things. I helped them as much as I could, but it was tough. Now he's on disability and there is little chance he can work unless he goes back to college to learn skills that aren't physically taxing. He could have had surgery to repair the torn disk in his shoulder, but the VA said since he was 50, they wouldn't do it. He was 46 when they first discovered the problem, but waited until he hit 50 and said that was the cut off. They said if he was 30, they'd do it, but acted like 50 was just too old and not worth the bother. That is what a military veteran who has always worked hard gets from the system. He fought for 4 years and did not receive any back pay when they finally approved him. Some get paid from the time they first applied once they get approved. He wasn't one of the lucky ones.

My older brother got disability after years of not working. He and his wife were often on welfare. He's been in and out of jail. He, like most, was denied disability the first time he applied, but he kept trying. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him even though he said his back hurt all the time. The rules state that if a person keeps complaining of an ailment, they have to assume it's real whether there is any medical evidence or not. He receives a bigger check than the younger brother and he got back pay for the 2 years after he first applied. He bragged about getting a big fat check.

I point out those two cases because they both live in the same state, yet the system treated them both differently. And the hard worker who clearly has serious medical issues didn't get treated as well as the other, who in my opinion, is a loser and a fake. It makes no sense.

I am sure this is just a coincidence, but the loser is a registered Dem and the unlucky one is a registered Repub. If I didn't know better, I'd think that has something to do with it since both were finally approved in the last 2 years, but the cases turned out so differently.

First, anyone older than age 51 is considered unemployable. You no longer have to document that you are in treatment for your disabling condition since it is assumed, correctly, that no one would hire such a decrepit old person.

Second, every case is different, even in the same state. If you use an atty.you will have a better outcome. The documentation provided by your doctor influences the Judge. The documention provided by the Social Security doctors has a greater influence.

Third, each case has its own individual Federal Judge. They do not know nor care your political affiliation - they are appointed and only Congress can removed them -not you.

Individuals who receive an award of SSDI have to have paid into it for long enuff to be able to get it. The amount paid in makes all the difference in the size of the outgo. The Judge does not control the amount. How much was paid in does.

I was a teacher. I now get only $800 a month, total. 20 years ago I started at $600, so there is that improvement, anyway.

Regards from Rosie

and the people who are ripping the system off have no problems continuing to rip it off....i hear you G....

There are always people ripping off the system. However, in this case my brother-in-law wants to give working a shot. I am able to get him a job at $55K a year in sales (my friend who is sales manager has a mom who has MS and is sympathetic). It's a job he could do. Even with taxes out he would easy make more than double what he gets now.

However, MS is an unpredictable illness. He could be OK today and in a wheel chair tomorrow. If he takes a turn for the worst, then he needs that $1,700. Again, how SSD is set up, they won't allow him back on because he left it. The system is rigged to encourage him to never get off it.

It's stupidity. If he qualified now and wants to see if he can work and not be DEPENDENT on the government, then why the hell shouldn't the government promote that type of responsible behavior?

Doesn't seem all that difficult to me. He should work whatever job he can find to make $699.99 a month. If his condition remains positive and he wants to "wean" himself off disability, he would have as much time as necessary to do it.

You can't blame "The System" for not finding the ideal solution for every imaginable circumstance. For virtually everyone applying for a SS disabilty, their condition is permanent.

You can always complain about the system! :eusa_angel:

I think it shouldn't be a no go after you try to do a responsible thing and try to work again!

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. He's facing quiet a conundrum. My advice to him would be to work part time for a while, as much as the government would allow, and if he's healthy for a long sustained period of time then think about getting off disability and working full time.

As far as how the system should IMO deal with your Brother in law is if he goes off disability and gets sick again he should be able to reapply for disability and have his case scrutinized to the same degree as anyone else who is applying.

I was on SSDI. In order to qualify, your disability must be "permanent". If it turns out that you can go back to work, later, that means that your disability was not "permanent, which means that they made a mistake putting you on it is the first place. Therefore, nobody at SS is going to go down on the record of having made the same mistake twice, by declaring the same disabling condition "permanent" again. Yes, it is a "Catch-22, but it is what it is, and makes sense from a bureaucratic point of view.

In his case a judge ruled his MS affiliation does satisfy a permanent disability, but he is looking to defy the odds and work in spite of his disability. He is not sure if it's a possibility, but should he be punished for trying?

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. He's facing quiet a conundrum. My advice to him would be to work part time for a while, as much as the government would allow, and if he's healthy for a long sustained period of time then think about getting off disability and working full time.

As far as how the system should IMO deal with your Brother in law is if he goes off disability and gets sick again he should be able to reapply for disability and have his case scrutinized to the same degree as anyone else who is applying.

I stated the money wrong. It's $1400 a month and $700 is what he could work part time.

That makes sense.

There should be an online exceptions and return policy. He should work under the table to augment his income until he knows whether he can return if he needs to.

There are always people ripping off the system. However, in this case my brother-in-law wants to give working a shot. I am able to get him a job at $55K a year in sales (my friend who is sales manager has a mom who has MS and is sympathetic). It's a job he could do. Even with taxes out he would easy make more than double what he gets now.

However, MS is an unpredictable illness. He could be OK today and in a wheel chair tomorrow. If he takes a turn for the worst, then he needs that $1,700. Again, how SSD is set up, they won't allow him back on because he left it. The system is rigged to encourage him to never get off it.

It's stupidity. If he qualified now and wants to see if he can work and not be DEPENDENT on the government, then why the hell shouldn't the government promote that type of responsible behavior?

does the Govt ever make sense?....

Forum List

Back