So you are a Army EV tank commander fighting in a foreign country, where do you get the electricity to charge the tank in the midst of a battle?

Okay fecalbrain, is it within the Secretary of Energy's power to determine what powertrain our tanks use? Don't the Abrams weight in about 60 tons or so? My guess is she was talking about the civil fleet of cars not battle tanks or other battlefield vehicles.
WTF is next an all electric Indy 500 or an all electric Daytona 200 (for all the F1, motorcycle fans)
You should read the OP before posting nonsense. Then again, most democrats don't read at grade level, huh?

Where do tanks get gas on the battlefield?
Go from there and I am sure your big mind can figure out how EV tanks will be charged.
Currently fuel trucks refuel the tanks when it is convenient.

There is no fucking way that EV tanks could work on a battlefield dumbass.

You tell us how much time and recharging equipment would be needed to recharge a tank battalion? Say 60-80 tanks.

Granholm's call for 100% EV military puts 'electric tanks,' green agenda before national security: critics​

I saw her comments about tanks being EVs
Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm received blowback from critics this week after she testified before the Senate in support of a plan to fully establish an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S. military by the 2030s, leading some observers to wonder if the Biden administration believes politics trumps national security.
An Abrams tank uses about a 2 gallons of fuel to go over 1 mile at Maximum Speed: 42 mph with a Range: 265 mi.
M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank - Specifications.
So if an EV uses 1 mi/kWh = a car traveling 33.705 Miles for one gallon of gas... then an EV to equal traveling 33 miles /gallon
would require 33 kWh.
So to travel the 265 miles range of an Abrams tank would require the equivalent of 33 kWh X 265 miles or 8,745 kWh.
A 100 kWh battery pack in the Model S weighs 1,377 pounds How Much Does a Tesla Battery Weigh?
An Abrams tank using 8,745 kWh to travel 265 miles (8,745kWh/85kWh) or another 60 tons to the weight.
M1 Abrams Tank - First Division Museum
So not only would the over 6,000 Abrams takes now weigh an additional 60 tons for the 87 batteries to the U.S. Army is believed to have 2,509 Abrams in various versions, with an additional 3,700 in storage.

But each tank would use 8,745 kWh per tank to travel 265 miles per tank.
Where will the 52,470,000 kWh come from especially in a winter season when EVs have trouble traveling in the cold?

OR where will the military's 170,000 non-tactical vehicles — the cars and trucks we use on our bases, get the electricity?

Remember electricity is NOT made by the re-chargers. Electricity is generated by solar panels (each 3'ftX5'Ft panel generates
Most residential solar panels on today’s market are rated to produce between 250 and 400 watts each per hour or in a sunny day
With an average of 3348 hours of sunlight per year one panel at 400 watts/hour will generate 1,339 kWh.

AGAIN where will all the electricity come from to power military EVs especially in foreign countries? And how will that electricity get to the
re-chargers? OH... yea right... fossil fuel converted into gasoline power generators. RIGHT!!!
Maybe the same place the fossil fuel tanks use when they run out?

You should read the OP before posting nonsense. Then again, most democrats don't read at grade level, huh?

Sorry champ I don't trust Faux "Not News" to honestly report any news, and on the off chance that she really thinks a battery powered 55 ton war machine will perform as well as the supercharged engine it has now, I don't believe it.

I stand corrected. They exist.....

Wait a minute

Granholm's call for 100% EV military puts 'electric tanks,' green agenda before national security: critics​

I saw her comments about tanks being EVs
Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm received blowback from critics this week after she testified before the Senate in support of a plan to fully establish an all-electric vehicle fleet in the U.S. military by the 2030s, leading some observers to wonder if the Biden administration believes politics trumps national security.
An Abrams tank uses about a 2 gallons of fuel to go over 1 mile at Maximum Speed: 42 mph with a Range: 265 mi.
So if an EV uses 1 mi/kWh = a car traveling 33.705 Miles for one gallon of gas... then an EV to equal traveling 33 miles /gallon
would require 33 kWh.
So to travel the 265 miles range of an Abrams tank would require the equivalent of 33 kWh X 265 miles or 8,745 kWh.
A 100 kWh battery pack in the Model S weighs 1,377 pounds How Much Does a Tesla Battery Weigh?
An Abrams tank using 8,745 kWh to travel 265 miles (8,745kWh/85kWh) or another 60 tons to the weight.
So not only would the over 6,000 Abrams takes now weigh an additional 60 tons for the 87 batteries to the U.S. Army is believed to have 2,509 Abrams in various versions, with an additional 3,700 in storage.

But each tank would use 8,745 kWh per tank to travel 265 miles per tank.
Where will the 52,470,000 kWh come from especially in a winter season when EVs have trouble traveling in the cold?

OR where will the military's 170,000 non-tactical vehicles — the cars and trucks we use on our bases, get the electricity?

Remember electricity is NOT made by the re-chargers. Electricity is generated by solar panels (each 3'ftX5'Ft panel generates
Most residential solar panels on today’s market are rated to produce between 250 and 400 watts each per hour or in a sunny day
With an average of 3348 hours of sunlight per year one panel at 400 watts/hour will generate 1,339 kWh.

AGAIN where will all the electricity come from to power military EVs especially in foreign countries? And how will that electricity get to the
re-chargers? OH... yea right... fossil fuel converted into gasoline power generators. RIGHT!!!
Solar panels, Dummy.

Are you really that stupid?
Fossil fuel tanks can actually refueling on the MOVE!
Please why can't you do what I did, find the facts that fossil fuel tanks can be fueled on the go...
BUT EVs.... they have to stop. Plug into a re-charger. AND within about 30 minutes get their batteries recharged... not because they are connected to
"re-chargers".... but because the "re-chargers" are connected to the "grids"....via evidently something you are totally ignorant of called "Transmission lines"!

Transmission lines are necessary to carry high-voltage electricity over long distances and connect electricity generators with electricity ...
It transmits power generated at a variety of facilities and distributes it to end users, often over long distances. It provides electricity to buildings, industrial facilities, schools, and homes. And it does so every minute of every day, year-round.

NOW do you understand the VERY SIMPLE and fundamental issue that people like and the Secretary of Energy who recently supports requiring U.S. military to adopt all-electric vehicle fleet by 2030. Energy Sec. Jennifer Granholm says she supports efforts to require the U.S. military to implement an all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2030, telling lawmakers that she believes "we can get there."

In the United States Army, refuel on the move (ROM), is a logistical action, for sustaining an army while on maneuver to reach a destination.
A ROM for military vehicles is akin to in-flight refueling for aircraft or UAVs. 
FA forward arming and refueling point is a location for a refuel on the move. The refueling point has to support refueling within a time limit, such as 30 seconds per vehicle, which has tactical consequences for an 87 tank BCT, if it were to be under fire.

So again in summary...
EV tanks WILL need to be physically connected to the "grid", i.e. the network of electricity transmission.
Fossil fuel the can completely refuel in 30 seconds, i.e. the gas tankers stop by the tank and refuel in less than 30 seconds.
Now just in case that's too complicated for you to understand???
refuelingatank.png

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA
Fossil fuel tanks don't need electricity bonehead.
Really? Then how does the empty tank get filled?
Bring another fuel tank?
How do you suppose you'd recharge a battery in the field?
With another battery?

The unwillingness to stretch your mind even a little is unsurprising.

OMG!! you watched a program?? on PBS even,,
it's called real news and reality. try it sometime. There will be progress and she wasn't talking about 2030, she was talking about the 30s and we have no idea what can happen between now and then. Depending of course on whether we have Democratic progress with new investment or the same old giveaway to the rich from the GOP and a screw job for everyone else....

• Disagree
Reactions: DBA
Are you really that stupid?
Fossil fuel tanks can actually refueling on the MOVE!
Please why can't you do what I did, find the facts that fossil fuel tanks can be fueled on the go...
BUT EVs.... they have to stop. Plug into a re-charger. AND within about 30 minutes get their batteries recharged... not because they are connected to
"re-chargers".... but because the "re-chargers" are connected to the "grids"....via evidently something you are totally ignorant of called "Transmission lines"!

Transmission lines are necessary to carry high-voltage electricity over long distances and connect electricity generators with electricity ...
It transmits power generated at a variety of facilities and distributes it to end users, often over long distances. It provides electricity to buildings, industrial facilities, schools, and homes. And it does so every minute of every day, year-round.

NOW do you understand the VERY SIMPLE and fundamental issue that people like and the Secretary of Energy who recently supports requiring U.S. military to adopt all-electric vehicle fleet by 2030. Energy Sec. Jennifer Granholm says she supports efforts to require the U.S. military to implement an all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2030, telling lawmakers that she believes "we can get there."

In the United States Army, refuel on the move (ROM), is a logistical action, for sustaining an army while on maneuver to reach a destination.
A ROM for military vehicles is akin to in-flight refueling for aircraft or UAVs. 
FA forward arming and refueling point is a location for a refuel on the move. The refueling point has to support refueling within a time limit, such as 30 seconds per vehicle, which has tactical consequences for an 87 tank BCT, if it were to be under fire.

So again in summary...
EV tanks WILL need to be physically connected to the "grid", i.e. the network of electricity transmission.
Fossil fuel the can completely refuel in 30 seconds, i.e. the gas tankers stop by the tank and refuel in less than 30 seconds.
Now just in case that's too complicated for you to understand???
View attachment 780508
1682714807979.jpeg

Do you know what that is?
A portable battery connected to the device it's charging.
Now imagine one of these
1682714967069.jpeg
Large enough to power a tank

And on wheels, self propelled
And hundreds of them rolling on and off the field providing power to the tanks.
Yes, even on the move.

Speaking of stupid was this too much for your tiny mind to absorb.
Perhaps try thinking before those stubby fingers click your keyboard.

For more information try reading my signature

Solar panels, Dummy.
OK... so you are in a tank and your EV batteries are drained.
And you carry solar panels on the tank to charge your EV batteries.
A 3 foot by 5 foot solar panel generates (now here DUMMY I deal with facts... stupid comments...)
FACT: https://www.gotrhythm.com/blog/solar-energy/how-much-power-does-a-solar-panel-produce
So in an area with five hours of direct sunlight each day, your equation would look like this: five hours x 250 watts = 1,250 watt-hours or about 1.3 kilowatt-hours daily.

1 solar panel 1.3 kWh. Depending on 5 hours of sunlight.

An EV truck requires 4.3 kWh to travel 1 mile. Battery capacity and recharging needs for electric buses in city transit service (Journal Article) | DOE PAGES

Hmm so how many kWh would be needed to power an Abrams Tank to go one mile?
So if an EV uses .25 kWh to travel 1 mile.... an EV Abrams tank would require 33 kWh to travel 1 mile.

1 solar panel creates 1.3 kWh of electricity for an Abrams tank to travel 1 mile taking 33 kWh to travel 1 mile or 26 solar panels at 3'ft X 5'ft per panel!
Where will the 26 panels at 396 sq feet FIT in an Abrams tank to power the tank just 1 mile?
An Abrams tank needing batteries to hold 8,745 kWh to travel 265 miles (8,745kWh/85kWh) or another 60 tons to the weight.

I know YOU won't be able to follow the FACTS because your attention span is less than the average American's of 8.5 seconds!

View attachment 780516
Do you know what that is?
A portable battery connected to the device it's charging.
Now imagine one of these
View attachment 780517Large enough to power a tank

And on wheels, self propelled
And hundreds of them rolling on and off the field providing power to the tanks.
Yes, even on the move.

Speaking of stupid was this too much for your tiny mind to absorb.
Perhaps try thinking before those stubby fingers click your keyboard.

For more information try reading my signature
Yes I can imagine a tank with 26 solar panels hooked up to charge one EV tank. For 1 mile.

A 3 foot by 5 foot solar panel generates (now here DUMMY I deal with facts... stupid comments...)
FACT: https://www.gotrhythm.com/blog/solar-energy/how-much-power-does-a-solar-panel-produce
So in an area with five hours of direct sunlight each day, your equation would look like this: five hours x 250 watts = 1,250 watt-hours or about 1.3 kilowatt-hours daily.

An EV truck requires 4.3 kWh to travel 1 mile. Battery capacity and recharging needs for electric buses in city transit service (Journal Article) | DOE PAGES

So if an EV uses .25 kWh to travel 1 mile.... an EV Abrams tank would require 33 kWh to travel 1 mile.

1 solar panel creates 1.3 kWh of electricity for an Abrams tank to travel 1 mile taking 33 kWh to travel 1 mile or 26 solar panels at 3'ft X 5'ft per panel!
Where will the 26 panels at 396 sq feet FIT in an Abrams tank to power the tank just 1 mile?
An Abrams tank needing batteries to hold 8,745 kWh to travel 265 miles (8,745kWh/85kWh) or another 60 tons to the weight.

I know YOU won't be able to follow the FACTS because your attention span is less than the average American's of 8.5 seconds!

Really? Then how does the empty tank get filled?
Bring another fuel tank?
How do you suppose you'd recharge a battery in the field?
With another battery?

The unwillingness to stretch your mind even a little is unsurprising.
A forward arming and refueling point (FARP) is a location for a refuel on the move.
The refueling point has to support refueling within a time limit, such as 30 seconds per vehicle, which has tactical consequences for an 87 tank BCT, if it were to be under fire. Refuel On the Move - Wikipedia

OH... so you think a gigantic battery storage tanker is the answer right?
FACT is this
An Abrams tank using 8,745 kWh to travel 265 miles (8,745kWh/85kWh) or another 60 tons to the weight of the TANK!!!
So to charge an Abrams tank would require the battery storage tanker to weigh 120,000 lbs JUST to carry electric storage batteries to charge 1 Abrams tank.
While the weight will depend on the cargo, the average tanker truck weighs 33 tons when loaded.
One Abrams tank would require almost 2 Electric battery storage trucks.
One Abrams tank uses about a 2 gallons of fuel to go over 1 mile at Maximum Speed: 42 mph with a Range: 265 mi.
So at range of 265 miles before empty the Abrams take holds 132 gallons or needs 132 gallons to be filled.
large fossil fuel tankers have a maximum capacity of 11,600 gallons. How much gas does a tanker truck hold? - Transcourt Inc.
SO a large tanker carrying 11,600 gallons can refill 87 Abram tanks based on at 2 gallons per mile and 265 mile before empty.
That means 87 fossil fuel Abram tanks can be filled with gas while only 1 (ONE!!!) EV Abrams tank can be filled !
FACTS not guesses!!

Yes I can imagine a tank with 26 solar panels hooked up to charge one EV tank. For 1 mile.

It's too bad you could use what little attention span you have to think before turning those stubby fingers loose.

Did I say those things exist right now?
50 years ago the computing power on my desk would have required 5k SF of floor space, a water cooling system, and 5-10 people to keep running.
15 years ago EVs were getting 40 miles per charge. Now we're getting 600 miles with smaller batteries.

I know you MAGA types want to live in the past but do try to be a little less stupid about it.

A forward arming and refueling point (FARP) is a location for a refuel on the move.
The refueling point has to support refueling within a time limit, such as 30 seconds per vehicle, which has tactical consequences for an 87 tank BCT, if it were to be under fire. Refuel On the Move - Wikipedia
There's a saying..."Generals fighting the last war"

Back in the day when your cell ran low you had to find a wall.
Now we have portable battery packs
I can get my phone back up in a few seconds.
What is it that makes you think that type of thing can't be done on a larger scale?

What is it that makes you think that type of thing can't be done on a larger scale?
what charges the back up??

Well for one thing $$$!
An Abrams tank cost The Abrams tanks are made by General Dynamics and each one costs over $10 million when including training and upkeep, according to Reuters.
And that's BEFORE EVs!
But the biggest cost will be how will an EV Abrams tank be charged?
You evidently haven't considered how electricity is created have you?
Today 11,070 generating plants generate 4,165,030,000,000 Total electricity generated in USA in 2021 by all power plants
All that electricity has to be transmitted via "transmission lines', i.e. the Grid!
Now how will during a European on Asia conflict will the Abrams EV tank be charged let alone the some 225,000 vehicles of all types.
So how will all these EVs get the electricity IF there is NO Transmission lines... NO GRID!!!

Forum List

Back