SNAP capitol is white and conservative

So what's the point of the OP?

Are you happy about or are you mourning the fact that a few thousand white conservatives have been, for all intents and purposes, been "Greened" out of work?
No, not happy about it but it seems to be the conservatives that harp on endlessly about 'getting a job' even if there are none to be had - especially in the face of an ever changing world.

kent_2.jpg

Strangely enough, the residents of Owsley County are almost entirely Republican, in spite of the traditional opposition to the Food Stamp program by the GOP. In fact, just last November, residents of Owsley saw their SNAP benefits reduced drastically as a result of Republican opposition to funding the program.

"There is no reason why, in a society which has reached the general level of wealth ours has, (the certainty of a given minimum of sustenance) should not be guaranteed to all without endangering general freedom; that is: some minimum of food, shelter and clothing, sufficient to preserve health. Nor is there any reason why the state should not help to organize a comprehensive system of social insurance in providing for those common hazards of life against which few can make adequate provision."
Friedrich August von Hayek-The Road to Serfdom
So these are the people who keep voting for Mitch McConnell...

Kentucky...

Externalization

Kentucky...a prime example of how polluters and cartels have so subverted the political landscape that taxpayers are paying them. In return, they get destroyed communities, destroyed roads and their kids have respiratory problems, high incidents of cancer and chronic asthma.

But right wing regressives in America will find any excuse to cower to the dirty energy cartels.

CaUZ2TT.gif

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget
Executive Summary

Rapid and dramatic changes in the world’s approach to energy have major implications for Kentucky and its coal industry. Concerns about climate change are driving policy that favors cleaner energy sources and increases the price of fossil fuels. The transition to sustainable forms of energy is becoming a major economic driver, and states are moving aggressively to develop, produce and install the energy technologies of the future. Long reliant on coal for jobs and electricity, Kentucky faces major challenges and difficult choices in the coming years.

These energy challenges come in the midst of Kentucky’s state fiscal crisis and sluggish economic performance. The gap between Kentucky’s revenues and expenditures makes it increasingly difficult to sustain existing public services. A recent University of Kentucky report notes that Kentucky ranks 44th among states in per capita income, just as in 1970, while other southern states like North Carolina and Georgia have out-performed the Commonwealth in recent years.1 Eastern Kentucky still includes 20 of the 100 poorest counties in the United States measured by median household income.2

In this critical energy, fiscal and economic context, it is increasingly important for Kentuckians to understand the role and impact of coal in our state. Coal provides economic benefits including jobs, low electricity rates and tax revenue. But the coal industry also imposes a number of costs ranging from regulatory and public infrastructure expenses to environmental and health impacts.

Coal and the Budget

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget tells one aspect of the story of coal’s costs and benefits. The report provides an analysis of the industry’s fiscal impact by estimating the tax revenues generated by coal and the state expenditures associated with supporting the industry. We estimate for Fiscal Year 2006 Kentucky provided a net subsidy of nearly $115 million to the coal industry (see Figure 1).

Fiscal-Impact-Summary.gif

Coal is responsible for an estimated $528 million in state revenues and $643 million in state expenditures. The $528 million in revenues includes $224 million from the coal severance tax and revenues from the corporate income, individual income, sales, property (including unmined minerals) and transportation taxes as well as permit fees. The $643 million in estimated expenditures includes $239 million to address the industry’s impacts on the coal haul road system as well as expenditures to regulate the environmental and health and safety impacts of coal, support coal worker training, conduct research and development for the coal industry, promote education about coal in the public schools and support the residents directly and indirectly employed by coal. Total costs also include $85 million in tax expenditures designed to subsidize the mining and burning of coal.

More

In short its not the white guys, community, culture etc fault. The fault lies with what blacks for generations have said and now rings true.

Its the MAN holding whites back!!!

THE MAN!!!

Yo, Bfgrn, if you can`t admit it, that regulations shut them down, then be happy with a 500 or 600 dollar electric bill idiot!!!

Its not white peoples fault they are on welfare. Faults only lie with other "communities" like ones that are urban or highly concen...black ok, just black

Are you happy about or are you mourning the fact that a few thousand white conservatives have been, for all intents and purposes, been "Greened" out of work?
No, not happy about it but it seems to be the conservatives that harp on endlessly about 'getting a job' even if there are none to be had - especially in the face of an ever changing world.
There are none to be had?
I thought The Obama defeated unemployment.
You guys really should hold a meeting and get your talking points gathered

Hey guess what? I'm not much of an Obama fan. So what are people supposed to do when their jobs are outsourced? Would you like to further decimate the safety net like most right wingers would?

After destroying the economy democrats can now say that these conservatives get snap benefits. Can't you appreciate how well constructed this was?

The impoverished, unemployed, unemployable and not so bright food stamp receiving whites in Kentucky or West Virginia are not so different from the impoverished, unemployed, unemployable and not so bright food stamp receiving blacks everywhere in America.

Hey guess what? I'm not much of an Obama fan. So what are people supposed to do when their jobs are outsourced? Would you like to further decimate the safety net like most right wingers would?
Not at all.
I'm in favor of a hand up NOT a hand out.
The OP is knocking hard hit citizens for needing temporary help and trying to compare it to career leaches

The jobs in this area were not outsourced. They were simply destroyed. As industries were dismantled the people moved to what jobs remained. From tobacco to lumber to coal. One by one falling to the democrat axe until nothing was left.

Not at all.
The OP is knocking hard hit citizens for needing temporary help and trying to compare it to career leaches
OK, so what's the prognosis for this area? It doesn't seem like education is their strong suit and the local resource isn't in demand. Should they open some sweatshops and try to compete with Bangladesh?

So, the poor whites in Kentucky and West Virginia vote Republican in spite of the fact that Republicans seem to do nothing for them.

How is that different from 99% of blacks voting Democrat in spite of the fact Democrats have done nothing for them.

At least no Republican ever promised the poor whites that life will be just honky-dorey like Democrats promised to the blacks.

I spent one week in 1996 and one week in 1997 in Hazard, KY doing volunteer work under the auspices of Appalachian Service Project.

I also spent several weeks between 1993 and 2003 doing volunteer work in Homestead, FL with Habitat for Humanity.

I know it is anecdotal but after conversations with people in both places it was clear to me that whites vote Republican and blacks vote Democrat.

It was also clear that none of my fellow volunteers was a Democrat.

Democrats can't go more than a few minutes without starting a thread on skin color.

They are consumed with exacerbating division.

its all they have, even they realize that all of their liberal policies have failed so they have to make everything about race-----------divide and conquer, race, sex, age, income, ethnicity, location--------------its all they have.

The jobs in this area were not outsourced. They were simply destroyed. As industries were dismantled the people moved to what jobs remained. From tobacco to lumber to coal. One by one falling to the democrat axe until nothing was left.
The democrat axe huh? Whatever. In most of the hard hit areas of this country, the culprit is outsourcing and the results are the same. No jobs available in the area. So I'll ask again, should we further decimate the safety net?

Not at all.
OK, so what's the prognosis for this area? It doesn't seem like education is their strong suit and the local resource isn't in demand. Should they open some sweatshops and try to compete with Bangladesh?
Either move or provide a marketable service or commodity.

Not at all.
Either move or provide a marketable service or commodity.
Tell them to come to Utah. We could use some competition to lower the price of bathroom cleaning.

Forum List

Back