Snake Meat......source of chinese virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now 50 cases outside China, and in 16 countries. The Japanese bus driver is mentioned at timepoint 2:05:

We are now seeing Asians in Wisconsin wearing face masks.

Avian Flu Talk: 'Well, my friends, it's that time. We are now seeing human-to-human transmission outside of China. This bug is slow moving but it's apparent that it cannot be stopped. It may take a country at a time, but regardless, to me, this means the next pandemic has officially begun. The fatality rate of this bug dwarfs the common flu. The WHO needs to declare a Public Health Emergency with the information now coming in.'

Why are you talking about avian flu? This coronavirus is not a flu and apparently isn't from birds. It's a kind of pneumonia and so far is killing 5 people per 200, which isn't as bad as some epidemics. Your post about avian flu is confusing. Could you talk about the one we're concerned about, the coronavirus?

I've been thinking about this, and I'm thinking that there are plenty of third world citizens who eat snake meat, bat soup and other not so appetizing things every single day. Are we sure that this virus is due to something they ate? Not to mention, the Chinese government (as we know) are famous for coverups and not being honest about things. I would not be surprised if this virus originated in their Wuhan biological facility. A worker could have been infected and spread it unknowingly.

It occurs to me that the stock of the new fake meat companies is likely to soar...…..

I've been thinking about this, and I'm thinking that there are plenty of third world citizens who eat snake meat, bat soup and other not so appetizing things every single day. Are we sure that this virus is due to something they ate? Not to mention, the Chinese government (as we know) are famous for coverups and not being honest about things. I would not be surprised if this virus originated in their Wuhan biological facility. A worker could have been infected and spread it unknowingly.

It occurs to me that the stock of the new fake meat companies is likely to soar...…..

Not from me! I will stick to real meat, thanks. In 20 years, they will be telling us that ingredients in this fake meat cause cancer or something. I will stick with what I know.

#144 fails to grasp that we are monitoring discourse from another forum which indeed is about 2019-nCoV.

There's plenty of misinformation circulating. promedmail.org's latest is at least misleading: Novel Coronavirus: Reservoir Suggested, Bats "We don't know the source yet, but there's pretty strong evidence that this is a bat origin coronavirus.....Mammals, including bats, have ways to identify and respond to bits of DNA, which might indicate an invasion. They have a weakened response but it is still there." This article posits that bats are reservoir to many rial agents because they use a strategy of tolerance instead of resistance to deal with infections.'

In current mainstream literature, it is 99% certain that 2019-nCoV is bat origin. This does not automatically mean that bats are the vector of 2019-nCoV. In addition, the book we are now quoting from (The Nidoviruses) uses stronger terminology when referring to bat infections: bats are "addicted" to the virus, not simply tolerant. We will excerpt this later.

Along the temperature mutant virus trajectory, post #7 focuses on the spike glycoprotein of 2019-nCoV. For the IBV, there are generally four amino acids involved in mutations: glutamine-to-leucine, isoleucine-to-methionine. Even the newly synthesized Australian coronavirus now shows this precise location on its genome. What is the amino acid sequence of the Australian virus at this location? The study in post #136 has an important reference in its bibliography: Luyjtes W, et al [1997] Characterization of Two Temperature-Sensitive Mutants of Coronavirus Mouse Hepatitis Virus Strain A59 with Maturation Defects in the Spike Protein, J. Virol 71: 949-955.

The most current pertinent 2019-nCoV article at Journal of Medical Virology:

The 2019-New Coronavirus Epidemic: Evidence for Virus Evolution
Error - Cookies Turned Off
'....The 2019-nCoV is significantly closely related to the specific bat SARS-like coronavirus isolated from Rhinolophus sinicus in 2015 in China (MG772934.1)...Regarding the FUBAR analysis performed on the N region, significant (p-value < 0.05) pervasive episodic selection was found in 2 sites (380th and 410th nucleotide position); Wuhan seafood market pneumonia virus isolate labeled Wuhan-HU-1 MN908947.3....on the 380th aminoacidic position of Wuhan coronavirus sequence there is a glutamine residue instead of an asparagine residue, while on the 410th aminoacidic position there is a threonine instead of an alanine.'

Recalling our excerpt from yesterday for the Singapore study of temperature-sensitive mutants:
'Nucleotide sequences of the wild type virus and its ts mutants were determined using RT-PCR products of three viruses. An insertion of 9 nucleotides, located near the 5'-end of the N gene of both mutants, was identified. This resulted in an in-frame Arg-Thr-Leu insertion in the N protein between the tenth and eleventh residues of the wild type. The insertion corresponds to the slow migration of the N protein of the ts mutants.'
(Shen & Liu, Characterization of Temperature-Sensitive Mutants of Coronavirus Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV))

29 Jan 2020 The Latest: Putin Tells Officials to Prepare for New Virus
news.yahoo.com/latest-japanese-relieved-exhausted-leaving-023628142.html
'...."It's a new phenomenon, and the question is how well we are prepared for this." '

A forum that has much experience talking about preparedness is here:
avianflutalk.com

'To search for a potential virus reservoir, we have carried out a comprehensive sequence analysis and comparison. Results from or analysis suggest that snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir responsible for the current outbreak of 2019-nCoV infection. More interestingly, an origin-unknown homologous recombination was identified within the spike glycoprotein of the 2019-nCoV, which may explain its decreased pathogenesis, snake-to-human cross species transmission, and limited person-to-person spread.....These novel findings warrant future investigation to experimentally determine if snake serves as the 2019-nCoV reservoir and the homologous recombination within the spike glycoprotein determine the tropism of the 2019-nCoV in viral transmission and replication. New information obtained from our evolutionary analysis is highly significant for effective control of the outbreak caused by the 2019-nCoV-induced pneumonia.'
(Ji W, et al Homologous Recombination of the Spike Glycoprotein of the Newly Identified Coronavirus 2019-nCoV May Boost Cross-Species Transmission from Snake to Human)

'On the S region, significant (p-value < 0.05) pervasive episodic selection was found in 2 different sites (536th and 644th nucleotide position using reference sequence; Wuhan seafood market pneumonia virus isolate labeled Wuhan-HU-1 MN 908947.3. For the 536th....there is an asparagine residue instead of an aspartic residue while on the 644th ....there is a threonine residue instead of an alanine residue....No sites under positive selection have been found in the E and M region....2019-nCoV and the Bat SARS-like coronavirus (MG772934) share the same aminoacidic sequence near the 309th position (SKQLQQ) while the SARS reference genome has a different amino acid sequence (SRQLQN). The same results have been found in the 308th aminoacidic position (KADET for 2019-nCoV and Bat SARS-like coronavirus and KTDEA for the SARS reference genome), in particular, in this case the 2019-nCoV has a polar amino acid while the SARS has a non-polar amino acid.
Recently, Ji et al described homologous recombination within the spike glycoprotein of 2019-nCoV favoring cross-species transmission and suggested snake as probable virus reservoir for human infection because its Resampling Similarity Codon Usage (RSCU) bias is more similar to Bungarus multicinctus snake compared to other animals and humans. In a previous article it has been proven that compositional properties, mutation pressure, natural selection, gene expression and dinucleotides affect the codon usage bias of Bungarus species.'
(Benvenuto D, et al [Rome/Rio de Janeiro], The 2019-New Coronavirus Epidemic: Evidence for Virus Evolution, J. Med. Virol Jan 2020)

Yes, there are cautions about the virulence of 2019-nCoV changing that we have seen in current literature. Another example is at Avian Flu Talk forum, Exponential Growth thread, along with some numbers charts:

' "I understand it's not proving to be really lethal, but that can change at the drop of a hat."....The travel ban is not stopping this sucker, not even close. Not enough people are paying attention to this. The actual reported infection rate is following a near perfect exponential growth, matching up on a logarithmic scale. The math is brutal and inescapable.'

By now, the paranoia in Wuhan must be quite palpable.

We first hear this news through the grapevine at a Wisconsin clinic at 11:30 AM:

Over 6,000 People Quarantined on Cruise Ship Amid Coronavirus Scare
Over 6,000 people quarantined on cruise ship amid coronavirus scare

There seems a lot of confusion over whether they are letting these people go or not....they were going to, and then people said something about the "first round of tests" and they're still all on the ship as of 1/30, I believe.

Just sayin' ---- Italy has a famously lot of experience with plague ships. The, ahem, original plague ships came in to Genoa from Messina October 1347, and, well, killed much of Europe.

This disease is killing only 22 in a thousand so far, so it's not that bad. But you can't blame the Italians: this is something they REALLY know about. For centuries and centuries.

Australia: 9th confirmed case

31 Jan 2020 First Coronavirus Case in India: Patient Has Tested Positive for nCoV
First Coronavirus case in India: Patient has tested positive for nCov
'....Kerala....'

30 Jan 2020 Wisconsin State Journal, Search is On for an Antiviral Drug. College with 40,000 Students Prepares for Next Necessary Steps
'In his UW Madison lab, Robert Kirchdoerfer studies proteins from six different types of coronaviruses, including SARS and MERS....Within two weeks he expects to get proteins from the new coronavirus...."Our goal is to identify these sites and figure out how they work, and use those as targets to develop antiviral drugs," he said.....The new virus appears to be less deadly than SARS and MERS, and so far it presents much less of a threat in Wisconsin than seasonal flu, which has killed at least 23 people in the state since October.....uses moth cells to grow proteins from coronaviruses like the new virus in China that has caused the outbreak....A campus message about the new coronavirus issued last week was translated into five languages...."The next two to four weeks will really tell," Olsen said.'

Moth cells are likely from Spodoptera, and here is where the article from Singapore on ts mutants becomes interesting, because the moth cells link to mouse hepatitis virus strain A59, mentioned previously in this thread:

MHV Coronavirus / Spodoptera frugiperda
Evaluating and selecting a computer system. - PubMed - NCBI
' Cells and Viruses. Spodoptera frugiperda (Sf9) cells were maintained at 27 C in TC-100 medium.'

Compare temperatures for IBV mentioned earlier (28 C-27 C).

Okay, 2.2% death rate in a susceptible population, which the whole world is. That's 22 in a thousand, 22 times normal influenza death toll (0.01 or one in a thousand). So if we have had 8000 flu deaths this year in America, that's 22 x 8000, which I will leave as an exercise to the student, but.....it's sort of a lot. Probably shouldn't let it get loose, if we can help it.

The WHO guys said their main concern is not us, of course. We have the best health system in the world. They were concerned about countries with a "less robust health care system" --- Africa, Muslim areas, South America, India and points east of that. So if our death count would be 100,000, think what theirs would be in toto. A lot. Nigeria: no, they couldn't do anything to stop this virus. They barely stopped Ebola, and that requires for transmission handling dead people! This virus only requires breathing in the same area, coughing, or pushing a door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back