CDZ Small Town America, Guns, and “Black Lives Matter”

We have all seen media coverage of criminal looting and of statues being torn down, and maybe the much larger, peaceful, but less photogenic marches of hundreds of thousands in large cities. People mostly see and pay attention to what confirms their biases.

Yet looting, arson and violence today are nothing like on the scale of the 1960s, when Civil Rights leaders and liberal politicians were assassinated, and anger boiled over. Party partisanship and conspiracy thinking, however, certainly seem higher than ever. While the screamers are more emboldened today, I believe race relations in general have improved.

I watched recently some videos about black and white and integrated gun clubs, and how many organized to act if needed ... without overt racism and without lunatics starting trouble. In rural areas where gun ownership is most prevalent, where voters are much more conservative and “white,” and in areas where police, demonstrators and guns sometimes mixed on the streets, we seem to have gotten through this period — thank heaven — without any serious disasters.

The number of white demonstrators peacefully joining protests against racism and police violence, the increasing recognition among the young that racism is indeed a problem in American society — not just among police, whose jobs are difficult in the best of times — these are encouraging to me. I excerpt below from an article about largely white “Black Lives Matter” demonstrations in small communities in America:

On TV and on social media, the protest movement sweeping the country often looks grim and explosive, a montage of rubber bullets and teargas, activists facing off with police, low-flying military helicopters, broken store windows. When protests first started popping up in small towns across the country, some residents could only imagine they were the work of interlopers. Rumors whipped through dozens of rural and suburban communities about busloads of anti-fascist activists on their way to wreak havoc....

For people living in small towns, the dissonance between the dark fantasy of antifa marauders and the actual nature of local protests—many of which have included kids, dogs, and elderly people—has been hard to miss.... [Soon] armed counter-demonstrators largely disappeared. “They have been made to look kind of silly. You should have seen how they showed up. It was like a war—these people showed up for an enemy that was never there,” said [one black musician in almost all white Klamath Falls, Oregon]. Meanwhile, people continued to gather in town for Black Lives Matter rallies during the first two weeks of June. “I think it’s very important because it shows people, you know, a different side of things? It’s happening in these smaller towns with little to no black population. That shows people this is a human thing, and that there’s a lot of us out there who care about each other and want to stand up for each other. And you know, change can happen from anywhere”....

Some protests offered at least a temporary reclamation of public space in communities long defined by segregation and legacies of brutal racism—places like Vidor, Texas, a former Ku Klux Klan haven that Texas Monthly described as the state’s “most hate-filled town” during a struggle over court-ordered desegregation of public housing in the early 1990s....

“I’ve never seen so many white people give a darn about black people,” said Mildred Henderson, a 78-year-old woman and veteran activist who was interviewed by The Southern Illinoisan at a June 4 rally in Anna, Ill. In 1909, mobs drove black residents out of Anna after a lynching in a nearby town; for decades, Anna was known as a sundown town, where black people were not welcome after dark. Although Anna was originally named for a woman, the town’s racist history has given it an unofficial acronym: “Ain’t No [N-words] Allowed.” Kevin Jackson, who also attended the protest in Anna, told the Belleville News-Democrat that it was the first time he’d ever walked down the town’s Main Street... “I probably wouldn’t do it again without my white brothers and sisters,” Jackson said.

Black Lives Matter Protests Are Everywhere, Even in the Unlikeliest Places

Dont KNOW what you consider "rural America". Most cities in middle America have a LOT of "sprawl" because LAND for growth IS available.. Attitudes don't change THAT MUCH from Knoxville to Soddy Daisy.. Or from Nashville to Spring Hill... We LIVE integrated in the 'burbs.. And we're NOT that race conscious.. Maybe you need a field trip to understand why.. A LARGE part of this community binding is FAITH BASED.. Churches are great institutions for breaking down racial barriers and animosity.. You ought to TRY IT in those big urban race segregated cities that the Blue Team owns...

We dont HAVE a policing problem in my "burb"... Because the leadership is ON THE BALL and does their primary duties... The roads are fine, the schools are excellent and life is great for all colors and beliefs...

The riots/looting and violence are from FAILURES of governance.. IN FACT, the URBAN policing problems and justice interface problems ARE NOT primarily racial -- they are systematic FAILURES of local govts to PRIORITIZE their primary duties.. Too much of their gnat like attention spans on partisan trendy stuff like plastic bags, big gulps, vaping, composting, Global Warming and Sanctuary declarations...

Those dont excite middle America much at all... It's culture and societal TOLERANCE and respect that sets us apart...

Don't know WHY you fixate on "integrated gun clubs".. It's just another aspect of sports. And SPORTS and MUSIC is what WON the integration battle in the 60s and 70s... At least "in the rural areas"...
The very reasons as to why Trump will win again. It is why the left is grabbing on to everything it can in order to derail what you described to Tom here.

We have all seen media coverage of criminal looting and of statues being torn down, and maybe the much larger, peaceful, but less photogenic marches of hundreds of thousands in large cities. People mostly see and pay attention to what confirms their biases.

Yet looting, arson and violence today are nothing like on the scale of the 1960s, when Civil Rights leaders and liberal politicians were assassinated, and anger boiled over. Party partisanship and conspiracy thinking, however, certainly seem higher than ever. While the screamers are more emboldened today, I believe race relations in general have improved.

I watched recently some videos about black and white and integrated gun clubs, and how many organized to act if needed ... without overt racism and without lunatics starting trouble. In rural areas where gun ownership is most prevalent, where voters are much more conservative and “white,” and in areas where police, demonstrators and guns sometimes mixed on the streets, we seem to have gotten through this period — thank heaven — without any serious disasters.

The number of white demonstrators peacefully joining protests against racism and police violence, the increasing recognition among the young that racism is indeed a problem in American society — not just among police, whose jobs are difficult in the best of times — these are encouraging to me. I excerpt below from an article about largely white “Black Lives Matter” demonstrations in small communities in America:

On TV and on social media, the protest movement sweeping the country often looks grim and explosive, a montage of rubber bullets and teargas, activists facing off with police, low-flying military helicopters, broken store windows. When protests first started popping up in small towns across the country, some residents could only imagine they were the work of interlopers. Rumors whipped through dozens of rural and suburban communities about busloads of anti-fascist activists on their way to wreak havoc....

For people living in small towns, the dissonance between the dark fantasy of antifa marauders and the actual nature of local protests—many of which have included kids, dogs, and elderly people—has been hard to miss.... [Soon] armed counter-demonstrators largely disappeared. “They have been made to look kind of silly. You should have seen how they showed up. It was like a war—these people showed up for an enemy that was never there,” said [one black musician in almost all white Klamath Falls, Oregon]. Meanwhile, people continued to gather in town for Black Lives Matter rallies during the first two weeks of June. “I think it’s very important because it shows people, you know, a different side of things? It’s happening in these smaller towns with little to no black population. That shows people this is a human thing, and that there’s a lot of us out there who care about each other and want to stand up for each other. And you know, change can happen from anywhere”....

Some protests offered at least a temporary reclamation of public space in communities long defined by segregation and legacies of brutal racism—places like Vidor, Texas, a former Ku Klux Klan haven that Texas Monthly described as the state’s “most hate-filled town” during a struggle over court-ordered desegregation of public housing in the early 1990s....

“I’ve never seen so many white people give a darn about black people,” said Mildred Henderson, a 78-year-old woman and veteran activist who was interviewed by The Southern Illinoisan at a June 4 rally in Anna, Ill. In 1909, mobs drove black residents out of Anna after a lynching in a nearby town; for decades, Anna was known as a sundown town, where black people were not welcome after dark. Although Anna was originally named for a woman, the town’s racist history has given it an unofficial acronym: “Ain’t No [N-words] Allowed.” Kevin Jackson, who also attended the protest in Anna, told the Belleville News-Democrat that it was the first time he’d ever walked down the town’s Main Street... “I probably wouldn’t do it again without my white brothers and sisters,” Jackson said.

Dont KNOW what you consider "rural America". Most cities in middle America have a LOT of "sprawl" because LAND for growth IS available.. Attitudes don't change THAT MUCH from Knoxville to Soddy Daisy.. Or from Nashville to Spring Hill... We LIVE integrated in the 'burbs.. And we're NOT that race conscious.. Maybe you need a field trip to understand why.. A LARGE part of this community binding is FAITH BASED.. Churches are great institutions for breaking down racial barriers and animosity.. You ought to TRY IT in those big urban race segregated cities that the Blue Team owns...

We dont HAVE a policing problem in my "burb"... Because the leadership is ON THE BALL and does their primary duties... The roads are fine, the schools are excellent and life is great for all colors and beliefs...

The riots/looting and violence are from FAILURES of governance.. IN FACT, the URBAN policing problems and justice interface problems ARE NOT primarily racial -- they are systematic FAILURES of local govts to PRIORITIZE their primary duties.. Too much of their gnat like attention spans on partisan trendy stuff like plastic bags, big gulps, vaping, composting, Global Warming and Sanctuary declarations...

Those dont excite middle America much at all... It's culture and societal TOLERANCE and respect that sets us apart...

Don't know WHY you fixate on "integrated gun clubs".. It's just another aspect of sports. And SPORTS and MUSIC is what WON the integration battle in the 60s and 70s... At least "in the rural areas"...
Good summation of the suburbs, but that's not "rural." I was born and raised in a 'burb, my Dad and family still live in a nice one. And in my observation, you're right about them.
But you don't know what rural is if you think it's the same as a 'burb. It's over 200 miles to the nearest 'burb here.
The role of Churches, town councils where elected leadership is known to all, counties where police chiefs and cops are known by family and personal ties, where human relationships are more face to face, and more stable, where personal histories and criminal history is less easy to conceal — obviously these aspects of more rural (not so much suburban) life make a huge difference.
It's a different world. People visiting sometimes say they feel as if they've stepped back a century.
But we don't have much diversity here; that creates ignorance and ignorance creates tension.
I don't know that you have a right to say our posts about rural America are "quaint but inaccurate" when you obviously think the 'burbs and rural America are the same. They're not.

Good summation of the suburbs, but that's not "rural." I was born and raised in a 'burb, my Dad and family still live in a nice one. And in my observation, you're right about them.
But you don't know what rural is if you think it's the same as a 'burb. It's over 200 miles to the nearest 'burb here.
The role of Churches, town councils where elected leadership is known to all, counties where police chiefs and cops are known by family and personal ties, where human relationships are more face to face, and more stable, where personal histories and criminal history is less easy to conceal — obviously these aspects of more rural (not so much suburban) life make a huge difference.
It's a different world. People visiting sometimes say they feel as if they've stepped back a century.
But we don't have much diversity here; that creates ignorance and ignorance creates tension.
I don't know that you have a right to say our posts about rural America are "quaint but inaccurate" when you obviously think the 'burbs and rural America are the same. They're not.
Creates ignorance, and ignorance creates tension in that neck of the woods eh ???

So you are out on the plow, and the next thing you know you see a hoard of dependent deomcrat created zombies coming across the field, they are looking hungry, angry, crazy eyed because they had finally over run their resources, destroyed their security, and killed all law enforcement, educators, in favor or their pure freedom desired, but wait it all back fired on them. Now they are looking for weak uneducated farmers to feed them and take care of them by force.

Would you just get down off of your tractor and welcome them or would you get worried that you are about to be over taken by force by a failed state, and a failed government who thought that their situation would never crumble into the chaos and mayhem that it finally crumbled into, and now that failed state is on the move to take over other states in hopes to rape those states and move on again ????

the intent of destroying the United States as founded

Are you aware how the United States was founded?
Untitled drawing - 2020-05-30T100630.715.png

tea.jpg

Creates ignorance, and ignorance creates tension in that neck of the woods eh ???

So you are out on the plow, and the next thing you know you see a hoard of dependent deomcrat created zombies coming across the field, they are looking hungry, angry, crazy eyed because they had finally over run their resources, destroyed their security, and killed all law enforcement, educators, in favor or their pure freedom desired, but wait it all back fired on them. Now they are looking for weak uneducated farmers to feed them and take care of them by force.

Would you just get down off of your tractor and welcome them or would you get worried that you are about to be over taken by force by a failed state, and a failed government who thought that their situation would never crumble into the chaos and mayhem that it finally crumbled into, and now that failed state is on the move to take over other states in hopes to rape those states and move on again ????
Right. That sounds highly likely.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Not to those of us who have read any history at all.

giphy.gif
Your ignorance is bliss ain't it?? Don't focus so much on the zombie aspect, but more so on the reality aspect in which we are getting a preview of it right now. The pandemic fear is working hard to engulf this nation right now, and if you think that it can't lead to economic collapse, then you ain't paying attention.

giphy.gif
Your ignorance is bliss ain't it?? Don't focus so much on the zombie aspect, but more so on the reality aspect in which we are getting a preview of it right now. The pandemic fear is working hard to engulf this nation right now, and if you think that it can't lead to economic collapse, then you ain't paying attention.
I respond to what posters say. Your post was silly, so you got an eyeroll. I'm not ignorant of the Covid Collapse. But I don't see the protesters as a threat. I don't agree with some of their methods or demands, but I believe reason will win the day. In the 60's, conservatives were SURE the commies were behind the Vietnam protests and anti-establishment protests, too. The hippies who came to our tiny town in our back of beyond area to commune with nature were all plants working for the USSR, according to my very conservative uncles. Actually, they were dope smoking young people who left after their first winter. Nary so much as a commune was established. Except for a law saying you could no longer pipe your raw sewage directly into the river, no "commie" laws were passed, either.

I will protest against the expunging of history from our town squares, our place names, our books and our movies. It's part of history and imo, political correctness which has always been something of a pain in the ass depending on who you're talking to is suddenly off the tracks. But it will be righted by REASON, not hatred. If you want to be part of fixing this, bullets and soldiers aren't the answer. Take out the earplugs and get listening, and talking to these folks. Otherwise, you will be ignored when the solutions are hammered out.

giphy.gif
Not to those of us who have read any history at all.

I hope I didn't get cooties going to that site. A lot of people's imaginations seem to have gone into hyperdrive. It's as senseless to argue with you as with a doomsdayer. You've got your theory and you're stickin' to it, I know. All is lost, this is war, etc. etc.

We read history in order to be forewarned, and I respect that. But this movement, just like the labor movement in the 20's, has a Marxist element that has latched on to it. We managed to form unions without going Red, and I believe we will meet the concerns of the black community without going Red, either.

It's just my opinion; these are all predictions of the future, so you may be right. We'll see. Check back in 10 years or so.

it's funny to read all the condescension towards people in rural areas by those who are not particularly well educated, but imagine themselves as bastions of tolerance.

it's funny to read all the condescension towards people in rural areas by those who are not particularly well educated, but imagine themselves as bastions of tolerance.
What condescension are you speaking of?
Personally, I have a lot of respect for farmers and all the people who live in rural areas. In general I have almost always found them capable, resourceful, and — at least to me — fair and friendly.

Last edited:

Dont know.. When you chasing off coyotes, have 30 wild turkeys roaming around DAILY or nesting in your woods --- kids about 11 driving ATV all over the common areas -- and deer looking in your family room -- it's "rural" enough.. If I drive 2.5 miles -- I'm in officially what YOU would accept as rural.. In the same county...

Besides, I HIGHLY DOUBT that there are demonstrations or politic conflict in public ANYWHERE in "rural" Tenn right now.. They are all (all races) struggling to survive thru Covid and a closed economy...

I'll check sources in Bucksnort and BugTussle, Soddy Daisy and Turtletown and get back to you with pictures of demonstrations, rioting and looting... :2up:

Well maybe Soddy Daisy.. They DO have more than one stop light...

RURAL -- 200 miles from nowhere aint what the OP was talking about.. There are no fancy pants "gun clubs" or friday night lights there...

In Tennessee OUTSIDE the big cities, it's mostly CLASS tension.. Actually MORE racially homogeneous than the big cities.. Only "self segregation" is the big cities.. And there is not the monstrous govts CREATING more problems and tensions. The southern "tea rooms" and gen stores in the rural areas ARE the civic centers and I've never been in rural Tenn town with "race tensions"... Probably because the churches/scools make CERTAIN nothing blows up... I'm not religious.. But I am "spiritual" and I SUPPORT people of faith... Much rather live amongst THEM than a BLM/AntiFa CHOP/CHAZ zone...

Some don't like me because I DON'T identify religiously.. But they FLOCK to HELP when I need it...

Forum List

Back