Slowly but surely all of the news feeds are going behind paywalls

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
It's understandable since people who write news for a living need to live too. It's also a bit alarming that what used to be free for public consumption is now something becoming unreachable without first reaching into your wallet.
One wonders indeed how will informed the next generation will be or if they will be informed at all.

Jo

Obviousoy advertising dollars are being spent elsewhere. It has to be a difficult business.

It's understandable since people who write news for a living need to live too. It's also a bit alarming that what used to be free for public consumption is now something becoming unreachable without first reaching into your wallet.
One wonders indeed how will informed the next generation will be or if they will be informed at all.

Jo
It is annoying and kind of pisses me off, but I understand the reason. When it was print news, you had pay for a subscription, it is really no different online. I guess we were lucky to get so much for free for so long.

Jo
Information is more accessible today than it has ever been thanks to the internet and social media. There's just a lot of nonsense out there too.

Jo
There are still a lot of good sites that offer up-to-date, accurate news that you can't find on the mainstream media or even the conservative "pay us first" sites.

Mark Dice
Benny Johnson
Matt Walsh
Shaun Attwood
Matt Christiansen
NTD News
One America News
Doug In Exile
Salty Cracker
History Debunked

Many more.

When the NYTimes decides online advertising money is not enough and goes subscription, the NYFreetimes goes online and accepts what they can get off advertising.

Vacuums get filled.

There are still a lot of good sites that offer up-to-date, accurate news that you can't find on the mainstream media or even the conservative "pay us first" sites.

Mark Dice
Benny Johnson
Matt Walsh
Shaun Attwood
Matt Christiansen
NTD News
One America News
Doug In Exile
Salty Cracker
History Debunked

Many more.
Thanks!

It is annoying and kind of pisses me off, but I understand the reason. When it was print news, you had pay for a subscription, it is really no different online. I guess we were lucky to get so much for free for so long.

I personally think that they ran the print media in the ground focusing on online well before we got to the paywall issues. Last time I asked someone who works for the local paper about it, she said they were down to two part-time reporters. Most of the local paper is ads and wire stories and the print classified section is down to a page with most of that being legal notices and ads filling in all the gaps. Rather than do something more sensible like reducing the number of days per week they print and bulking up their content, they diluted everything just being enslaved by the 7 days a week model. Their circulation is down to less than 10% of households and they have a paywall online, so I don't expect them to survive for much longer. The biggest declines happened while Warren Buffet's outfit owned it as they continued to jack up prices several times a year while cutting staff to nothing but ad sales people.

Forum List

Back