Slavery reparations?

Are you for or against slavery reparations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, as per usual, you misspoke and refused to admit it. Even now, rather than admit the mistake, you are trying to spin it so that your statement actually meant every group that has proven to have been wronged by the government.

Even there, it is clearly untrue. Every time a law has been found to be discriminatory it is an instance of the government having wronged some group or groups, just to give one example.

And while blacks as a whole have not been given reparations, there were the black men who were part of the Tuskegee syphilis experiment. That group of blacks were given reparations; the men who were part of the study as well as their heirs. Reparations were also paid due to the Rosewood incident, to what I believe were 9 survivors at the time.

I doubt reparations will be given for slavery, although I don't completely dismiss the possibility.

Montrovant I said what I meant and did not misspeak or spin. There are several types of reparations. Not all reparations involve money, but you want to argue because as usual you don't seem to be able to understand how we can ask for monetary reparations. Your second mistake is you assume the reparations are only for slavery.

The argument about not paying for slavery has no merit unless you can produce a new one. And telling me about 50-60 blacks who got reparations for those two events shows how pathetic those like you are. I gets old arguing with you guys knowing my argument is legitimate and I get these excuse laden posts and people like you playing semantics because I said all of the groups who have done something got reparations so you chose to disagree with that instead of the validity of my argument for reparations based on historical treatment of blacks in this nation. Just like you wanted to argue over the accuracy of a cartoon and cartoon characters, you are petty.

You said what you meant, but had to correct yourself later? :rofl:

Hey, if you think wanting statements to be accurate is petty, feel free to consider me petty.

My point in bringing up Tuskegee and Rosewood was merely that blacks have received reparations from the government; it is not that the government is opposed to blacks getting reparations that is the issue, but rather the reason for the reparations. You mentioned that "Jews got reparations" as though every Jew was granted reparations, when in fact it was a particular group of Jews.

I'm curious, do you think women deserve reparations from the government for the historical treatment they experienced in this nation? They were treated as second-class citizens for much of the country's history.

Trying to get reparations for all blacks in the US because of the historical treatment of blacks is just too broad and vague an attempt IMO.

I said what meant from he beginning. There was no correction. I know why you bought up[ Tuskegee and Rosewood. The problem with your argument is that others have gotten reparations. And what I also said is that if no one had ever got them I could understand the opposition.. These questions, arguments and statements I see in reference to reparations just make no sense given the fact hat reparations have been paid and still are being paid.

As to your question, black women would be eligible for reparations. White women participated in the oppression and human rights violations.

You've said two different things, so you might want to make up your mind. Either every group other than blacks that has been wronged by the US government has gotten reparations, or only some groups which have been wronged by the government have gotten reparations. The first thing you said was that all of them have, are you going back to that now?

Do you not think this country has a history of discriminating against and oppressing all women, regardless of race? And I notice you only mentioned black women and white women, why is that? Do you think women of other races haven't lived in this country since the founding?

While certain groups have received reparations, it has never been on anything close to the scale you propose. I don't know that reparations have been paid for as non-specific reasons as you talk about, either. Rosewood and Tuskegee show that blacks can be eligible for reparations, but on a smaller scale for more specific rights violations.

I've said the same thing, have meant the same thing and still mean the same thing. .

I have mentioned groups that have received reparations. And that means women in those groups got reparations.

The problem with having this kind of discussion with people like you is that you are too busy looking for reasons to discount this argument. The thing about reparations is they involves human rights violations that can be specifically stated. The size or number of those violated is irrelevant.

If you can't even realize that you've changed your statements, how can a conversation really be had with you?

You started with this:
But when every other group wronged by this government has received reparations all these comments mean nothing but a bunch of people jumping on a bandwagon in a obscure website..

That changed to this:
I stated that every group has been wronged by this government has received reparations but blacks. Not every group that has claimed, but every group where wrongdoing has been proven.

In the first statement you claimed that every group other than blacks that has been wronged by the government has received reparations. In the second statement you qualify that to mean every group where wrongdoing has been proven. Those are not the same. ;)

Hey, wait, I thought that having some members of a group get reparations wasn't important? You dismissed the Rosewood and Tuskegee reparations, but now you've going to say that there were women in groups that have received reparations? What about all of the women the government mistreated that were not part of those groups?

That's not how it happened. There is no statute if limitations on human rights violations.

Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. Apparently you suffer from this condition. Specifically Delusional disorder. A person experiencing delusional disorder strongly believes in things that aren’t real. Your posts are evidence of this. You may want to check your health insurance to see if your condition is covered then go seek the appropriate medical help.

Don't try to psychoanalyze me, Jackass, I've written a book on the analysis of personality and disorder. As to your human rights violations, they do indeed end-- -- -- -- with the person that committed them. Slavery was an international and global industry that died two centuries ago. You got a problem with it, don't read about it, because its nothing more than a page of a history book to you. Get your hands out of my pockets, Welfare Whore, and I'll take my shoe out of your ass.

I don't give a fuck what you say you wrote. You have a mental disorder.

Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. Apparently there are whites here that suffer from this condition. Specifically Delusional disorder. A person experiencing delusional disorder strongly believes in things that aren’t real. Their posts are evidence of this. You racists may want to check your health insurance to see if your condition is covered then go seek the appropriate medical help.

Things did not end with slavery loon.

If you could calm down just a little, perhaps we could have a rational discussion about this?

Did you own slaves? Have you been unjust or even unkind to a black person? If you didn't, why is reparations for slavery or injustices following emancipation your responsibility? I have never harmed or been unkind or discriminated against any black person ever, at least for being black. Why am I responsible to pay reparations to you or anybody else that I had absolutely nothing to do with?

Per Walter Williams in a thoughtful essay four years ago:

. . .Capturing Africans to sell into slavery was done by Arabs and black Africans. Would reparations advocates demand that citizens of Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Kenya and several Muslim states tax themselves to make reparation payments to progeny of people whom their ancestors helped to enslave?. . .​

And he further comments:

. . .There's another moral or fairness issue. A large percentage, if not most, of today's Americans — be they of European, Asian, African or Latin ancestry — don't even go back three or four generations as American citizens. Their ancestors arrived on our shores long after slavery. What standard of justice justifies their being taxed to compensate blacks for slavery? For example, in 1956, thousands of Hungarians fled the brutality of the USSR to settle in the U.S. What do Hungarians owe blacks for slavery? . . .

In there somewhere he pointed out the black slave owners. Can we determine who descended from them in order to hold them accountable for the actions of their ancestors?​

He sums this up in a single question: "What moral principle justifies punishing a white of today to compensate a black of today for what a white of yesterday did to a black of yesterday?"

Slavery Reparations, by Walter E.Williams

Williams agreed that those who savaged the black man via all aspects of slave trade and slave ownership owe restitution to those they mistreated, misused, denied their unalienable rights. But they're all dead now.

Many suffered various kinds of discrimination and/or cultural restrictions through no fault of our own--women, the Irish, the Chinese, Italian miners, etc. etc. etc. And then there are all those cursed with irresponsible and abusive/neglectful parents and were handicapped by that experience. Who is responsible for paying for injustices done to all of those people?

We can learn from our history, understand it, appreciate it, or condemn it, but we can't undo it. And all that would be accomplished by trying is to heap more injustice on top of what has already been done.

Everything here you post denies one simple reality. Others have gotten reparations for past wrongs.

So if others did it, then that automatically justifies the validity of the action for others to follow? So by your way of thinking, then since people in the past owned slaves, then others should still do it today.

Good point. If we are going to argue on the basis of me-too-ism, that would be a valid argument. :)

FOX Faceoff - Black Lives Matter reparation demands

You have convinced me.

However, part of the blame belongs on the African nations.

The estimated amount owed to the black community is 100 trillion.

"Some proposals have called for direct payments from the U.S. government. Various estimates have been given if such payments were to be made. Harper's Magazine has created an estimate that the total of reparations due is over 100 trillion dollars, based on 222,505,049 hours of forced labor between 1619 and 1865, with a compounded interest of 6%.[6] Should all or part of this amount be paid to the descendants of slaves in the United States, the current U.S. government would only pay a fraction of that cost, over 40 trillion dollars, since it has been in existence only since 1789."
Reparations for slavery debate in the United States - Wikipedia

Which means, G. Britain, and the African nations are on the hook for the other 60 trillion.

If the black community and it's allies in America can get those responsible in the rest of the world to pay their fair share, (IOW, bringing in 60 trillion into those communities,) I have no doubt that the white community in America will step up and do what is right by raising taxes to pay the other 40 trillion.

After all, covering that debt is nothing compared to the blood they shed on the battlefields to free those slaves in the first place. It is after all, only money.

So how much does America pay for continuing violations after slavery? Or do we ask Africa and Britain to pay that too?
millions wounded or killed in the civil war idiot ! remember slaves did not free themselves !

You have convinced me.

"Some proposals have called for direct payments from the U.S. government. Various estimates have been given if such payments were to be made. Harper's Magazine has created an estimate that the total of reparations due is over 100 trillion dollars, based on 222,505,049 hours of forced labor between 1619 and 1865, with a compounded interest of 6%.[6] Should all or part of this amount be paid to the descendants of slaves in the United States, the current U.S. government would only pay a fraction of that cost, over 40 trillion dollars, since it has been in existence only since 1789."

Which means, G. Britain, and the African nations are on the hook for the other 60 trillion.

If the black community and it's allies in America can get those responsible in the rest of the world to pay their fair share, (IOW, bringing in 60 trillion into those communities,) I have no doubt that the white community in America will step up and do what is right by raising taxes to pay the other 40 trillion.

After all, covering that debt is nothing compared to the blood they shed on the battlefields to free those slaves in the first place. It is after all, only money.

So how much does America pay for continuing violations after slavery? Or do we ask Africa and Britain to pay that too?
millions wounded or killed in the civil war idiot ! remember slaves did not free themselves !

.That war was not fought to free slaves. And black soldiers died in it.

You have convinced me.

what was the reason for the war them Einstein ?? and how did blacks get free ?? according to your logic if someone murders someone then their great grand children should pay reparations to to the victims descendants .

You have convinced me.

what was the reason for the war them Einstein ?? and how did blacks get free ?? according to your logic if someone murders someone then their great grand children should pay reparations to to the victims descendants .

The north fought to maintain the union. Blacks died in that war. Blacks died in the revolutionary war to free your white asses from Britain also. Don't see you saying anything about that Try as you might with your flimsy meritless arguments, the fact is that when you owe money and die, you family must pay that debt. And until; that debt is paid, your family owes the money. We are owed money for labor rendered that was unpaid. .But that's just one violation and those lik you keep arguimg about this one violation like that was all that happened.

Reparations
We demand reparations for past and continuing harms. The government, responsible corporations and other institutions that have profited off of the harm they have inflicted on Black people — from colonialism to slavery through food and housing redlining, mass incarceration, and surveillance — must repair the harm done. This includes:

1. Reparations for the systemic denial of access to high quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all Black people (including undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people) to lifetime education including: free access and open admissions to public community colleges and universities, technical education (technology, trade and agricultural), educational support programs, retroactive forgiveness of student loans, and support for lifetime learning programs.
  2. Reparations for the continued divestment from, discrimination toward and exploitation of our communities in the form of a guaranteed minimum livable income for all Black people, with clearly articulated corporate regulations.
  3. Reparations for the wealth extracted from our communities through environmental racism, slavery, food apartheid, housing discrimination and racialized capitalism in the form of corporate and government reparations focused on healing ongoing physical and mental trauma, and ensuring our access and control of food sources, housing and land.
  4. Reparations for the cultural and educational exploitation, erasure, and extraction of our communities in the form of mandated public school curriculums that critically examine the political, economic, and social impacts of colonialism and slavery, and funding to support, build, preserve, and restore cultural assets and sacred sites to ensure the recognition and honoring of our collective struggles and triumphs.
  5. Legislation at the federal and state level that requires the United States to acknowledge the lasting impacts of slavery, establish and execute a plan to address those impacts. This includes the immediate passage of H.R.40, the “Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act” or subsequent versions which call for reparations remedies.

1. Reparations - The Movement for Black Lives

Case for reparation gains international force

Gordon-Reed, who is also the Carol Pforzheimer Professor at the Radcliffe Institute and professor of law in the faculty of law, noted the differences in the way Europeans and Americans view and understand slavery. One important obstacle that must be overcome before the idea of reparations will go anywhere, she said, “is to make people understand that slavery was not just a system of holding people in bondage, it was holding people in bondage for a purpose, and that was to make money, to make money off of their bodies, and that’s the important realization that Americans have to come to.”

Rather than taking on the difficult task of trying to identify specific harms and the descendants of those who lived hundreds of years ago, it would be more practical to make whole those still alive who have endured slavery’s effects, such as disenfranchisement or housing discrimination, and then work back into history, she said.

“We can think about what we should do if we understand that all of us benefit from the proceeds of slavery every day if we’re associated with this institution,” Mack said in response to repeated questions from HLS students about how to confront the School’s racist history and prompt change on campus.

Mack and Gordon-Reed noted the many real-world opportunities in Boston and across the United States that exist right now for HLS students to facilitate getting reparations for black people through the legal system.

“All of us derive a present-day benefit from the oppression, the degradation of human beings. And what should we do as an institution to make reparations for that” is what should be on everyone’s mind in thinking broadly about the concept of reparations, said Mack.

Reparations
We demand reparations for past and continuing harms. The government, responsible corporations and other institutions that have profited off of the harm they have inflicted on Black people — from colonialism to slavery through food and housing redlining, mass incarceration, and surveillance — must repair the harm done. This includes:

1. Reparations for the systemic denial of access to high quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all Black people (including undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people) to lifetime education including: free access and open admissions to public community colleges and universities, technical education (technology, trade and agricultural), educational support programs, retroactive forgiveness of student loans, and support for lifetime learning programs.
  2. Reparations for the continued divestment from, discrimination toward and exploitation of our communities in the form of a guaranteed minimum livable income for all Black people, with clearly articulated corporate regulations.
  3. Reparations for the wealth extracted from our communities through environmental racism, slavery, food apartheid, housing discrimination and racialized capitalism in the form of corporate and government reparations focused on healing ongoing physical and mental trauma, and ensuring our access and control of food sources, housing and land.
  4. Reparations for the cultural and educational exploitation, erasure, and extraction of our communities in the form of mandated public school curriculums that critically examine the political, economic, and social impacts of colonialism and slavery, and funding to support, build, preserve, and restore cultural assets and sacred sites to ensure the recognition and honoring of our collective struggles and triumphs.
  5. Legislation at the federal and state level that requires the United States to acknowledge the lasting impacts of slavery, establish and execute a plan to address those impacts. This includes the immediate passage of H.R.40, the “Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act” or subsequent versions which call for reparations remedies.

We demand reparations for past and continuing harms.

And if we don't get it, we'll continue to be whiny bitches.

the fact is that when you owe money and die, you family must pay that debt

Where is this true? Which family? A spouse, perhaps, but your children do not have to pay your debt when you die.

You seem to be basing your argument on a false premise.

Not really. I once sold life insurance One reason for that is to pay bills owed when a person dies so their family doesn't suffer. Now in the case of reparations we are talking about a government not a child, an individual or family or anything else you guys at trying to argue.

Gordon-Reed, who is also the Carol Pforzheimer Professor at the Radcliffe Institute and professor of law in the faculty of law, noted the differences in the way Europeans and Americans view and understand slavery. One important obstacle that must be overcome before the idea of reparations will go anywhere, she said, “is to make people understand that slavery was not just a system of holding people in bondage, it was holding people in bondage for a purpose, and that was to make money, to make money off of their bodies, and that’s the important realization that Americans have to come to.”

Rather than taking on the difficult task of trying to identify specific harms and the descendants of those who lived hundreds of years ago, it would be more practical to make whole those still alive who have endured slavery’s effects, such as disenfranchisement or housing discrimination, and then work back into history, she said.

“We can think about what we should do if we understand that all of us benefit from the proceeds of slavery every day if we’re associated with this institution,” Mack said in response to repeated questions from HLS students about how to confront the School’s racist history and prompt change on campus.

Mack and Gordon-Reed noted the many real-world opportunities in Boston and across the United States that exist right now for HLS students to facilitate getting reparations for black people through the legal system.

“All of us derive a present-day benefit from the oppression, the degradation of human beings. And what should we do as an institution to make reparations for that” is what should be on everyone’s mind in thinking broadly about the concept of reparations, said Mack.

Make whole those still alive who have endured slavery's effects? Listen, bitch, if life here is too difficult
for you to endure, I'll be willing, in exchange for your giving up your US citizenship and your promise to never return to the US, to give you reparations of a one way ticket to the African paradise of your choice and $1000 cash.

Take it or leave it.

Reparations

.I guarantee that you will whine before I do when you face the punishment caused by your obstinence.

Make whole those still alive who have endured slavery's effects? Listen, bitch, if life here is too difficult
for you to endure, I'll be willing, in exchange for your giving up your US citizenship and your promise to never return to the US, to give you reparations of a one way ticket to the African paradise of your choice and $1000 cash.

Take it or leave it.

Since you are a peon, and you get peed on regularly by the rich whites who fool you into thinking you can make this kind of offer, and we are talking to the American government, you don't have anything to offer.

Where is this true? Which family? A spouse, perhaps, but your children do not have to pay your debt when you die.

Not really. I once sold life insurance One reason for that is to pay bills owed when a person dies so their family doesn't suffer. Now in the case of reparations we are talking about a government not a child, an individual or family or anything else you guys at trying to argue.

"You guys" argue? You are the one that said when you owe money when you die, your family has to pay that debt. I just quoted your post saying that.

OK, you sold life insurance. That doesn't mean that any member of a person's family, or even immediate family, takes on their debt when they die. If my parents were to die while owing debt, I would not be required to pay that debt. So based on your argument, the unpaid wages are not owed, because that debt would have ended with the deaths of those who owed it. At least that portion of any potential reparations can be eliminated. ;)

Reparations for Slavery
Why the U.S. government should pay slave reparations

Michael W. Austin Ph.D.

If you ask any fair-minded person about the greatest injustices perpetrated in and by the United States, slavery would surely be at or near the top of the list. Many arguments have been given in support of the claim that there should be reparations for slavery, and some of them are better than others. Here, I will give one sound argument—The Compensation Argument—for the claim that the U.S. government is morally obligated to pay reparations for slavery. This argument is based upon facts that are not in dispute and on assumptions that all reasonable people share. That is, the argument depends on principles and data accepted by liberals and conservatives, by advocates of and opponents to reparations, and as such it should be acceptable to all who give it a fair hearing.

The Compensation Argument is as follows:

(1) If a government wrongfully harms someone as a result of the authorized actions of some of its public officials, then it incurs a moral obligation to compensate its victims for those harms.

(2) The U.S. government wrongly harmed previous generations of Africans and African-Americans by supporting slavery and its aftermath.

(3) These acts of the U.S. government continue to cause harm to the currently living generation of black Americans.

(4) The U.S. government has not yet fully compensated the currently living generation of black Americans for the harms they continue to experience as a result of slavery and its aftermath.

Therefore, the U.S. government is morally obligated to pay reparations for slavery.

Let's consider each of these steps in turn.

(1) If a government wrongfully harms someone as a result of the authorized actions of some of its public officials, then it incurs a moral obligation to compensate its victims for those harms.

This first step is based on the principle that if I wrongfully harm another person, then I incur a moral obligation to compensate my victim. For example, if I vandalize your car, then I am obligated to pay for repairs. Similarly, if a government agent vandalized your car, authorized by the government, then the government would be obligated to compensate you for the damage.

(2) The U.S. government wrongly harmed previous generations of Africans and African-Americans by supporting slavery and its aftermath.

Liberals and conservatives, opponents and proponents of reparations all agree that slavery and its aftermath—the subsequent forms of legalized segregation and discrimination—happened, that it was harmful, and that it was wrong. This is a clearly true historical claim.

(3) These acts of the U.S. government continue to cause harm to the currently living generation of black Americans.

The debt owed to previous generations of black Americans can be transferred to the current generation. The primary reason is that an act that harms members of one generation can have lingering consequences on subsequent generations. Given this fact, the government incurs a moral obligation to make reparations to those future generations. Consider a similar example: if the government dumps toxic waste in your neighborhood, it not only owes the people who got sick right away, but also those who suffer in the future because of this past act.

But is the current generation of black Americans being harmed? The answer is clearly yes. Consider the following data related to some reliable measures of basic human well-being:

• Young white Americans are more likely than young black Americans to:
    • Wake up feeling happy in the morning.
    • Feel happy about their relationships with parents and friends.
    • Be happy about their jobs, grades, and financial status.
  • On average, white Americans are doing significantly better financially than black Americans:
    • 2004 poverty rate for black Americans was triple that of white Americans (24.7% compared to 8.6%).
    • Median income for white families in 2000 was about $56,000. For black families it was roughly $34,000. For white males it was $42,000, compare to about $31,000 for black males. For white females, it was about $31,000, and for black females it was around $26,000
    • Black males who graduate from college get about half of the earnings benefit that white males do.
    • Related to health, white Americans are doing significantly better than black Americans, on average:
      • The infant mortality rate for black Americans is over twice that for white Americans.
      • White Americans live 6-7 years longer than black Americans.
      • Black Americans are less likely to have health insurance, vaccinations, and a regular source of health care.
    • Concerning education, the same disparity exists:
      • Schools in which most students are white spend more per student than those in which most students are black.
      • Overall, black workers have less education than white workers.
      • 15% of black adults have college degrees, compared to 30% for whites.
There is more of this kind of data, and it is basically uncontested. So we must ask, “What is the best explanation for this?”

The answer to this question is that there is a difference in the social environment occupied by white Americans and that occupied by black Americans which makes it more difficult, on average, for black Americans to flourish. The most reasonable conclusion to draw here is that slavery and its aftermath continue to exert a serious negative influence. It is neither genetics nor differences in culture or character. It is the social environment produced by slavery and its aftermath.

As political scientist Andrew Hacker puts it,

…despite more than a century of searching, we have no evidence that any…pools of
race-based genes have a larger quotient of what we choose to call intelligence or organizational ability or creative capacities. So if more members of some races end up doing better in some spheres, it is because more of them grew up in environments that prepared them for those endeavors.[1]

The social environment created by slavery and its aftermath—which the U.S. government is responsible for—is the most plausible explanation of the differences in average well-being between black and white Americans.

(4) The U.S. government has not yet fully compensated the currently living generation of black Americans for the harms they continue to experience as a result of slavery and its aftermath.

Some argue that reparations have already been made by ending slavery, abolishing segregation, securing voting rights, and adopting affirmative action. But if reparations have already been made, then black Americans would be doing roughly as well as white ones. But on average they aren’t, so they haven’t.

In conclusion, the U.S. government is morally obligated to pay reparations for slavery.

Reparations for Slavery

"You guys" argue? You are the one that said when you owe money when you die, your family has to pay that debt. I just quoted your post saying that.

OK, you sold life insurance. That doesn't mean that any member of a person's family, or even immediate family, takes on their debt when they die. If my parents were to die while owing debt, I would not be required to pay that debt. So based on your argument, the unpaid wages are not owed, because that debt would have ended with the deaths of those who owed it. At least that portion of any potential reparations can be eliminated. ;)

You're wrong. Your entire argument in opposition to reparations is wrong. It's a silly argument that if you really think, you understand has no merit. Period.

Reparations

.I guarantee that you will whine before I do when you face the punishment caused by your obstinence.

Come and punish me, you whiny black loser.

That's not something you would really want me to do. But I am not the punisher and when the punisher exacts his penalty, there is nothing you can do to stop the pain you will feel.

That's not something you would really want me to do.

I do. Really. It would be hilarious.

But I am not the punisher and when the punisher exacts his penalty

Nobody is going to exact reparations to benefit whiny black losers.

Whiny white losers that have no decision making capacity really have nothing to say that needs to be heard.

Reparations Would Hit at the Core of Racial Inequality
RFDCarltonWaterhouse-thumbStandard.jpg

Carlton Mark Waterhouse is a professor of law and dean's fellow at the Indiana University McKinney School of Law.

Are there nonracist reasons for opposing the payment of reparations to African-Americans? Certainly, but those reasons are not the cause of its summary dismissal by, according to some scholarship, more than 90 percent of whites.

The overwhelming majority of whites reject African-American reparations — let alone any discussion of them — on a gut rather than an intellectual level, without much awareness of the different types of reparations proposals that have been advanced over the years. For example, I have proposed that slavery reparations take the form of monuments, memorials and museums, with a separate creation of trust funds for victims of Jim Crow era discrimination.

Yet there has historically been substantially greater support for reparations to other groups, like Japanese-American victims of governmental discrimination, who seemed less threatening. A colleague of mine summed it up best when he said, “Are not reparations paid at the end of a war? Well, America’s war against black people has not ended.”

Most whites take for granted — or even vehemently defend — the group-based advantages that past and present racial discrimination have provided them. Race-based social dominance has furthered racial inequality in every generation since blacks arrived in this country, despite the legal restrictions against racial discrimination ushered in by the civil rights movement. Institutional practices of tokenism and formal equality continue to hide the private attitudes and biases of the white majority ultimately responsible for America's hyper-segregated schools and neighborhoods, a school to prison pipeline for black children, mass incarceration, discrimination against upper- and middle-class black mortgage applicants, and the unpunished killings of unarmed African-Americans by police.

Even affirmative action in education, a policy based on institutional diversity interests rather than on righting past wrongs, continues to face opposition.

With all due respect to candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, racially neutral policies to help the poor miss the point. Until we confront white racial dominance as a society we will not eliminate racial inequality.

Reparations would not solve all our racial ills but they do strike at their core. Meaningful reparations would acknowledge that victims of racial injustice were worthy of equal regard and that whites gained immense and unfair advantages by denying that through centuries of mistreatment and discrimination. This would challenge the narrative that whites "deserve" the group-based advantages and privileges they enjoy.

Politicians and policies that fail to confront this often unspoken defense of racial inequality have neither the insight nor fortitude to achieve racial justice.

Come and punish me, you whiny black loser.

That's not something you would really want me to do. But I am not the punisher and when the punisher exacts his penalty, there is nothing you can do to stop the pain you will feel.

That's not something you would really want me to do.

I do. Really. It would be hilarious.

But I am not the punisher and when the punisher exacts his penalty

Nobody is going to exact reparations to benefit whiny black losers.

Whiny white losers that have no decision making capacity really have nothing to say that needs to be heard.

You keep whining, I'll keep laughing.

“8 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord after the king Zedekiah had made a covenant with all the people who were in Jerusalem to proclaim liberty to them: 9 that every man should let his male slave and every man his female slave, being a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, go free so that no one should keep them, a Jew his brother, in bondage. 10 Now when all the officials and all the people who had entered into the covenant heard that everyone should let his male slave and everyone his female slave go free, so that no one should keep them any more in bondage, then they obeyed and let them go. 11 But afterward they turned around and caused the male slaves and the female slaves whom they had set free to return, and brought them into subjection for male slaves and female slaves.

12 Therefore the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying: 13 Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: I made a covenant with your fathers in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage, saying: 14 “At the end of seven years, each of you shall set free his Hebrew brother who has been sold to you; and when he has served you six years, you shall let him go free from you.” But your fathers did not obey Me nor incline their ear. 15 You recently turned and did what was right in My sight by proclaiming liberty, every man to his neighbor; and you made a covenant before Me in the house that is called by My name. 16 But then you turned around and profaned My name when every one of you took back his male and female slaves, whom you had set free, at their pleasure, and you brought them into subjection to be your slaves.

17 Therefore thus says the Lord: You have not obeyed Me in proclaiming liberty, everyone to his brother and every man to his neighbor. I proclaim a liberty to you, says the Lord, to the sword, to the pestilence, and to the famine; and I will make you a terror to all the kingdoms of the earth. 18 I will give the men who have transgressed My covenant, who have not performed the words of the covenant which they had made before Me, when they cut the calf in two and passed between the parts, 19 the officials of Judah and the officials of Jerusalem, the court officers, and the priests, and all the people of the land, who passed between the parts of the calf, 20 I will even give them into the hand of their enemies and into the hand of those who seek their life; and their dead bodies shall be food to the fowl of heaven and to the beasts of the earth.

21 Zedekiah king of Judah and his officials I will give into the hand of their enemies and into the hand of those who seek their life and into the hand of the king of Babylon’s army, which has gone away from you. 22 I will command, says the Lord, and cause them to return to this city, and they will fight against it and take it and burn it with fire; and I will make the cities of Judah a desolation without an inhabitant.”

Jeremiah 34:8-21 Modern English Version (MEV)

Keep laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back