Since when does the president get to force churches to open?

we've had a few supreme court decisions on the First and churches and basically, how it goes with congress shall write no law............

is that if there is a federal law on say, what criteria is needed to qualify as a non profit, and churches meet that criteria, they can be a non profit, just like any other entity in our country that meets the criteria.... the law was NOT written specifically for churches by congress, any entity can be a non profit if qualified.thus the law meets constitutional muster.

The same with all laws written for anything in our society.... churches have to follow, and the laws all meet first amendment constitutional muster because congress is not singling churches out.

So with this shut down, if the Governor set standards of who were essential businesses or entities that could stay opened as essential and all others temporary close, churches would need to follow the law... or in this case, the law through executive order....like everyone else.

They specifically are not being singled out because they are churches, but included in a whole set of criteria needed in order to stay opened, like no gatherings larger than 10 and 6 feet of separation CDC guidelines... and the ability to enforce those guidelines.

They can't be given special treatment either, like being singled out and told they are an exception to the rule, because then it would be our government making a rule solely for them, and the govt is not allowed to do that, according to the constitution, not a law in favor, or a law that disfavors the churches specifically.
Thank you.

Donald Moses.jpeg

What happened to the first amendment?

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of Presiis vandent of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If trump tries to force churches to open, he violates his oath of office and the first amendment.
He has no such power..He is just pandering to the phony "Christians" who worship him.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of Presiis vandent of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If trump tries to force churches to open, he violates his oath of office and the first amendment.
He has no such power..He is just pandering to the phony "Christians" who worship him.
True. But I figured all our constitutional experts might want to speak on this but it seems that the constitution can be violated as long as republicans are doing it.

Amendment I

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

What law is trump making? None. Its the liberal governors who are suppressing or prohibiting the free exercise. You're very confused. BTW, Jesus didn't run away from the sick.

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version (KJV)
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Amendment I

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Speak of Constitution, the much better question is since when do the States have the right to close them? Trump's not forcing churches to do anything.

You really set yourself up on this one PROG.

Amendment I

He’s not forcing Churches to open. He’s putting the decision their hands and keeping State and Local leaders from oppressing them. No one is going to force you or anyone to go to Church nor is the President trying to push a religion onto the People.

Amendment I

He's not forcing them to open he is merely giving them the choice to open if they want to

“Since when does the president get to force churches to open?”

He doesn’t.

Trump is being an ignorant idiot – yet again.

As for Trump’s supporters: so much for conservatives being ‘advocates’ of states’ rights.

You're right. Nor should he need to. The gov't doesn't have the right to shut churches down in the first place.

Amendment I

He’s not forcing Churches to open. He’s putting the decision their hands and keeping State and Local leaders from oppressing them. No one is going to force you or anyone to go to Church nor is the President trying to push a religion onto the People.
Nobody is oppressing churches. trump did say he would overrule any governors decision not to open up churches. trump has no say in this matter.

Amendment I

Exactly correct. If liberal church leaders want to keep their doors locked through the summer, until Trump leaves office, for 100 years or for all eternity to avoid pestilence or for any other reason, that's their privilege. President Trump isn't going to force any preacher into the pulpit, or any of the faithful into the pews.

Could you imagine being a church pastor and infecting your congregation and watching a bunch of them die? I would feel so incredibly guilty.

course if there was enough testing and contact tracing and the government is doing it’s job it wouldn’t even be an issue. We’d be like all the other countries in the world except Brazil and Russia.

1590234578855.jpeg

Last edited:

Amendment I

Speak of Constitution, the much better question is since when do the States have the right to close them? Trump's not forcing churches to do anything.

You really set yourself up on this one PROG.
States do have the right to protect their citizens from pandemics. So does the federal government. You don't seem to get that reality right winger.

Last edited:

Amendment I

Nobody is oppressing churches. trump did say he would overrule any governors decision not to open up churches. trump has no say in this matter.

The Constitution has a say on it, not Trump. And like Eisenhower in Little Rock, he'll send the Army in to defend the people's rights.

Amendment I

Exactly correct. If liberal church leaders want to keep their doors locked through the summer, until Trump leaves office, for 100 years or for all eternity to avoid pestilence or for any other reason, that's their privilege. President Trump isn't going to force any preacher into the pulpit, or any of the faithful into the pews.

Liberals won't be the only ones keeping their churches closed until there is a safe way to9 worship.

Could you imagine being a church pastor and infecting your congregation and watching a bunch of them die? I would feel so incredibly guilty.

course if there was enough testing and contact tracing and the government is doing it’s job it wouldn’t even be an issue. We’d be like all the other countries in the world except Brazil and Russia.

The Russian Federation has let lions out of their zoos to patrol the streets and keep people at home during the quarantine.

Amendment I

The Constitution has a say on it, not Trump. And like Eisenhower in Little Rock, he'll send the Army in to defend the people's rights.

Why do you try equating this to Little Rock?

Amendment I

Why do you try equating this to Little Rock?

Its the same thing. The President pulling rank on a governor seeking to deprive the citizens of their rights, and the President protecting people just seeking to exercise their right to go to school or to go to church. There was a lot of concern in Little Rock as to whether the kids in Little Rock would be safe in school, just like now, there is a lot of concern that Christians will be safe in church.

Amendment I

Liberals won't be the only ones keeping their churches closed until there is a safe way to9 worship.

There is safe way to go to Walmart then there is a safe way to go to Church. Masks and Social Distancing. The reality is that Liberals worship the State first and foremost and cannot stand people worshiping Jesus Christ.

Forum List

Back