Should Young Minorities Be Allowed To Buy Guns ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
As much as I am against gun control, I do believe criminals (those with records) shouldn't be free to buy guns. Their records should be public information, and available to gun sellers.

This wasn't the case with Nicolas Cruz, the Parkland Massacre killer, whose criminal activity was covered up, due to Obama's "Promise Program". Gun sellers, unable to see the Cruz background dirt, freely sold him the guns he used to kill 17 people.

So now we have many young minorities with criminal backgrounds, impervious to background checks. Where do we go from here ? Hopefully, not to more Parkland shootings.

As much as I am against gun control, I do believe criminals (those with records) shouldn't be free to buy guns. Their records should be public information, and available to gun sellers.

This wasn't the case with Nicolas Cruz, the Parkland Massacre killer, whose criminal activity was covered up, due to Obama's "Promise Program". Gun sellers, unable to see the Cruz background dirt, freely sold him the guns he used to kill 17 people.

So now we have many young minorities with criminal backgrounds, impervious to background checks. Where do we go from here ? Hopefully, not to more Parkland shootings.
You've spent your entire life voting for the Nicolas Cruz's of the world to be able to get guns. And you still are.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

You've spent your entire life voting for the Nicolas Cruz's of the world to be able to get guns. And you still are.
Absolutely not. I have never advocated for those with criminal records to buy guns. And neither have Republicans or the NRA. Only Obama and minority pandering Democrats have done that.

Maybe you've been watching too much CNN.

Universal background check - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Minorities, as a percentage, commit most of the violent crimes in America. That is a fact. Why let them have guns?
At least we should be able to see their criminal history. With Obama's Promise Program, if it's still in effect, we can't do that.

If that's the case, then selling guns to young minorities with concealed crime backgrounds could be asking for trouble

Still there is a federal law that bans those who have been convicted of certain crimes from ever possessing firearms which does include domestic violence offenses.

Texas, Under Texas state law a convicted felon may possess a firearm in the residence, in which he lives, once five years have elapsed from the date his sentence was discharged. This means the later of release from prison or parole. This is not true under federal law.

Montana is considered a restorative state, meaning under the Montana Constitution, felons who have completed their sentences and probationary periods have their rights restored — and technically can do things that regular citizens do, including possess a firearm and vote

Alaska - Ten years after completing felony probation, the state no longer bans felons from possessing firearms.
Alaska has no waiting period for the purchase of a handgun, rifle or shotgun. There is no requirement to register any firearm with the state of Alaska.

yet State laws say differently

I am 100% pro-gun and firmly believe that the Second Amendment gives us the right to own firearms. But...minorities being allowed to purchase firearms....absolutely NOT! I have no problem with youths learning the use of them at firing ranges and on farms, so that should someone with evil intent breaks into their home, they can defend themselves with the firearm, rather than become a victim. But, to go out and be able to just up and buy a gun is absurd. The pre-frontal cortex (reason and rational thinking) isn't fully developed in young people until after their teen years, so it's best to have some restrictions in place on them.

Totally!

520f3f3e332b0225ee44898b795bb7c1.jpg

Still there is a federal law that bans those who have been convicted of certain crimes from ever possessing firearms which does include domestic violence offenses.

Texas, Under Texas state law a convicted felon may possess a firearm in the residence, in which he lives, once five years have elapsed from the date his sentence was discharged. This means the later of release from prison or parole. This is not true under federal law.

Montana is considered a restorative state, meaning under the Montana Constitution, felons who have completed their sentences and probationary periods have their rights restored — and technically can do things that regular citizens do, including possess a firearm and vote

Alaska - Ten years after completing felony probation, the state no longer bans felons from possessing firearms.
Alaska has no waiting period for the purchase of a handgun, rifle or shotgun. There is no requirement to register any firearm with the state of Alaska.

But with Obama's Promise Program, young minorities like Nicolas Cruz can buy guns ANYTIME, with gun sellers unaware of their criminal background.

Liberal Obama supporters cry out for background checks, but then say nothing when their hero devises a program obliterating these checks, and one of the kids protected, goes out and shoots 34 people, killing 17 of them.

Let me make sure I'm understanding the premise here. You don't want people with criminal records to be able to buy guns (What sort of criminal record, by the way? You don't specify), so you think young minorities should be prevented from buying guns? Is that it?

Let me make sure I'm understanding the premise here. You don't want people with criminal records to be able to buy guns (What sort of criminal record, by the way? You don't specify), so you think young minorities should be prevented from buying guns? Is that it?
What's so hard ? Read the TITLE of the OP.

I just want to confirm what you're trying to say before I comment. It's a bit hard to understand why, if your problem is with criminals buying guns, you'd limit a ban to young minorities. It makes it seem that you are really concerned with minorities rather than criminals.

That's not taking into account the absurdity of the idea that one might successfully ban only minorities from owning guns, of course.

I just want to confirm what you're trying to say before I comment. It's a bit hard to understand why, if your problem is with criminals buying guns, you'd limit a ban to young minorities. It makes it seem that you are really concerned with minorities rather than criminals.

That's not taking into account the absurdity of the idea that one might successfully ban only minorities from owning guns, of course.
Did you read the OP ? Never comment in a thread without reading the OP, and understanding it fully.

All that you're asking about is in the OP (Promise Program , Nicolas Cruz, etc).

For every Nicolas Cruz there are thousands and thousands who are not. Even more. A lot of this is from Prog policies over many decades.

I've never known a criminal to care about a law,,,

Minorities, as a percentage, commit most of the violent crimes in America. That is a fact. Why let them have guns?
Because it is in the Constitution?
So anyone convicted of a violent crime using a firearm should be allowed to own guns?
That may be what you meant but that that is not what you said. Do you want to keep guns away from anyone convicted of a violent crime using a firearm or from minorities no matter what their criminal record since they commit most of the violent crimes in America?

But with Obama's Promise Program, young minorities like Nicolas Cruz can buy guns ANYTIME, with gun sellers unaware of their criminal background.

Liberal Obama supporters cry out for background checks, but then say nothing when their hero devises a program obliterating these checks, and one of the kids protected, goes out and shoots 34 people, killing 17 of them.

Sorry you just reading to many right wing sites. The program that you referred to was being pushed as an obama initiative but in reality it was a local program

Broward County, Florida program called PROMISE (Preventing Recidivism Through Opportunities, Mentoring, Interventions, Support and Education.) PROMISE was begun in 2013 by the Broward County School District and Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale; it is an intervention program for student behavior that would otherwise prompt a suspension, expulsion or arrest

this program was a local initiative and did not involve federal agencies or Obama

I am sure OB welcome the local initiative as an intervention for trouble youth but it was hardly a federal program and had nothing to do with OB

But that doesn't stop right wing from tying the two together to make some statement

Also if I remember correctly Cruz had already left school and as soon as he was of age and able to buy a gun , he did get a gun

look at Florida state laws which allow 18 year old kids to possess fire arms

Last edited:

I've never known a criminal to care about a law,,,

I would agree to that point but it still probably a good idea to get one legally if possible than illegally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back