Should the Feds be able to force Apple to cooperate?

Should Apple be forced to give the Feds what they want?

• Yes

• No

• No opinion or I see both sides

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. The owner of the phone is dead. No one's liberties are being violated.

2. The phone possibly contains information and evidence vital to National security and identifying other participants.

3. Apple's refusal to cooperate is obstruction of justice. The DOJ asking for access to to the phone is no different than asking for access to a residence.

On a case by case basis, yes.
The entire system? NO.
That's the problem. Once they crack a phone for the FBI, the cat's out of the bag. Hackers WILL figure it out.

And if Apple cracks a phone for the FBI, why shouldn't they crack a phone for the NYPD or Scotland Yard or the Saudi intelligence service, or the Chinese, or the Memphis cops or the Clyde, Ohio PD? Were does it stop?

I guess when we completely disregard THE 4th amendment.

2. The phone possibly contains information and evidence vital to National security and identifying other participants.

3. Apple's refusal to cooperate is obstruction of justice. The DOJ asking for access to to the phone is no different than asking for access to a residence.
The owner of the phone isn't dead. The owner of the phone is the county of San Bernardino.

What the DOJ is asking for doesn't exist. If Apple had the means to unlock the phone and refused to turn it over, the company should be punished. It doesn't exist and the company should not be ordered to create it. That never stops.

Once again those who feel Apple should cave fail to attach their social security numbers, bank account numbers and personal email addresses to their posts.

WHAT IS IT YOU ARE HIDING????

The owner of the phone isn't dead. The owner of the phone is the county of San Bernardino.

What the DOJ is asking for doesn't exist. If Apple had the means to unlock the phone and refused to turn it over, the company should be punished. It doesn't exist and the company should not be ordered to create it. That never stops.

If there's no way to recover the information, then it's a moot point.

Apple should agree to crack this one phone for them, not give them the ability to crack all phones.

The Feds already have that ability. They just want the powa to do all phones for your own good
That is not what I've heard. The Feds can't open the phone without destroying all the information in it. They have agreed to let Apple have control of the phone and just override the phone's failsafe to destroy all information if an incorrect password is entered 10 times. Then Apple can return the phone and the Feds will figure out the password themselves, take it from there. They are not asking for software to override the security on 'all phones.' Maybe they did at first, but they've negotiated. And Apple is still screaming security breach, which seems nonsensical to me.
The problem with that is IF they were to get any info it would be considered suspect because the phone left the hands of the government and a private entity then had access to delete or add bogus or incriminating evidence.

It's the ultimate slipperslide

The phone belonged to one of the San Bernardino shooters, so yeah the owner is dead.

If you think the feds cant crack an Iphone then we've already lost as a nation. They can tell you anything.

We have drones that go across the world but....This Iphone is really tough wink wink

No. Here's why....

- The government shouldn't be able to force you to buy any private product or force you to PRODUCE any product or perform any labor (that's slavery btw)
- The law enforcement community is ways underfunded and it's past time that changes. If Apple can afford to hire 23 year old tech wizards and the FBI/CIA cant....that's the FBI/CIAS problem...not Apples.

I wish Apple would've volunteered to do it.

But the government being able to FORCE a private business to perform a service for them....a line I can't cross to support. The slippery slope....a city governments public works garage can't fix the Ford fire/police vehicles....so they get a court order to force a local mechanic at the Ford dealership to come fix them. See? It's fucked up.

Apple should be warrant proof?

I'm surprised there is even controversy with this issue frankly. If the government wants to unlock the phone it should create the software itself. If they're not capable of doing that then too bad, they shouldn't be able to force anyone else to create a software for them.

How would you create the software?

This is quite different from giving a brake job on a Ford! This is a known terrorist's phone and the court has issued a legal search warrant. Granted, the FBI looks a bit lame, but it's a commendation to Apple's security. Now, in the end, is there anything of importance on the phone? Probably not much they didn't get already from the Cloud. But if one of my family members had been killed or shot at San Bernardino, I'd sure not give two shits about your slippery slope. Probably you wouldn't either.

The 'lame' are those that believe that Apple is above a search warrant.

I see both sides of the issue..........tending towards no......................voted the third choice...............

I don't believe the Gov't should get unfettered access to the encryption system of Apple. Apple has a valid reason to not turn over their encryption codes...............so good that the Gov't has obviously not been able to break in like normal...........

The solution is for the 2 sides to WORK TOGETHER...............Apple getting them to try and access the data but with Apple going through the encryption without sharing the access to the Gov't...........In tandem.............without giving away the back door...............Which I guarantee is a TRADE MARK issue for Apple.

Forum List

Back