Should the Feds be able to force Apple to cooperate?

Should Apple be forced to give the Feds what they want?

• Yes

• No

• No opinion or I see both sides

Results are only viewable after voting.
NO....But watch these so called Patriots spread their cheeks because Govt spooks them into believing they'll be a victim if you dont give them the powa!

No. Here's why....

- The government shouldn't be able to force you to buy any private product or force you to PRODUCE any product or perform any labor (that's slavery btw)
- The law enforcement community is ways underfunded and it's past time that changes. If Apple can afford to hire 23 year old tech wizards and the FBI/CIA cant....that's the FBI/CIAS problem...not Apples.

I wish Apple would've volunteered to do it.

But the government being able to FORCE a private business to perform a service for them....a line I can't cross to support. The slippery slope....a city governments public works garage can't fix the Ford fire/police vehicles....so they get a court order to force a local mechanic at the Ford dealership to come fix them. See? It's fucked up.

NO....But watch these so called Patriots spread their cheeks because Govt spooks them into believing they'll be a victim if you dont give them the powa!

Its Obamas federal government trying to force this by the way.

Apple should agree to crack this one phone for them, not give them the ability to crack all phones.

The Feds already have that ability. They just want the powa to do all phones for your own good
That is not what I've heard. The Feds can't open the phone without destroying all the information in it. They have agreed to let Apple have control of the phone and just override the phone's failsafe to destroy all information if an incorrect password is entered 10 times. Then Apple can return the phone and the Feds will figure out the password themselves, take it from there. They are not asking for software to override the security on 'all phones.' Maybe they did at first, but they've negotiated. And Apple is still screaming security breach, which seems nonsensical to me.

I'm surprised there is even controversy with this issue frankly. If the government wants to unlock the phone it should create the software itself. If they're not capable of doing that then too bad, they shouldn't be able to force anyone else to create a software for them.

No. Here's why....

- The government shouldn't be able to force you to buy any private product or force you to PRODUCE any product or perform any labor (that's slavery btw)
- The law enforcement community is ways underfunded and it's past time that changes. If Apple can afford to hire 23 year old tech wizards and the FBI/CIA cant....that's the FBI/CIAS problem...not Apples.

I wish Apple would've volunteered to do it.

But the government being able to FORCE a private business to perform a service for them....a line I can't cross to support. The slippery slope....a city governments public works garage can't fix the Ford fire/police vehicles....so they get a court order to force a local mechanic at the Ford dealership to come fix them. See? It's fucked up.
This is quite different from giving a brake job on a Ford! This is a known terrorist's phone and the court has issued a legal search warrant. Granted, the FBI looks a bit lame, but it's a commendation to Apple's security. Now, in the end, is there anything of importance on the phone? Probably not much they didn't get already from the Cloud. But if one of my family members had been killed or shot at San Bernardino, I'd sure not give two shits about your slippery slope. Probably you wouldn't either.

On a case by case basis, yes.
The entire system? NO.
Agree.

What puzzles me is whenever an issue of this nature arises it's always a yes-or-no question, rather than an issue with conditions. In this example the government should have the ability to examine the phone but with the condition that any such access should occur only with an order from a high court and only under circumstances of national emergency -- and that anyone convicted of violating these conditions would be subject to severe criminal punishment.

According to Apple they have not created a backdoor to an iPhone. The government is demanding something that does not exist. Similar to demanding an innocent suspect produce the murder weapon.

Its Obamas federal government trying to force this by the way.

Its the FBI and CIA who before Obama wanted more power under Bush and before Bush wanted more Power under Clinton and so on and so on...

Force? NO. Case by case volunteer would be better.

On a case by case basis, yes.
The entire system? NO.

On a case by case basis, the Feds can already get whatever data is on a phone.

The Apple situation with the San Bernadino Terrorist phone is just the Feds trying to destroy private encryption. The FBI already knows what's on the phone. The don't need Apple to crack a 4 digit security code.

This is the equivalent of gun grabbers using an insane person doing a mass shooting to justify gun seizures. IOW, the Feds are exploiting the San Bernadino Terroritst's phone in order to destroy our right to privacy.

Forum List

Back