Should states outlaw Scientology?

But the constitution does say that the states aren't allowed to pass laws about religion. It only says that Congress cannot pass such a law. So the states are free to outlaw Scientology.
No, becasue the Constitution is supreme. The Constitution says no Laws against free speech, religion or peacefully assemble, so you can't do it, no state can. BUT if it's NOT in the Constitution (say murder and abortion), then states CAN regulate and pass laws via the 10th Amendment

I wouldn't be so sure. If their leaders told them that thinning out the population is good for the planet, they would probably be ok with it. They are that far gone.
The sad part it, you do have a point. The left a psychos, that are for communism and that's it........all the other issues are just fronts to get their communism....sad but true.

No, becasue the Constitution is supreme. The Constitution says no Laws against free speech, religion or peacefully assemble, so you can't do it, no state can. BUT if it's NOT in the Constitution (say murder and abortion), then states CAN regulate and pass laws via the 10th Amendment

Except it's not a religion. It's a for profit cult. Nothing more.

Look, repeating yourself doesn't change anything. Go and read it yourself. The first amendment says CONGRESS. It says nothing about the states.

Look, repeating yourself doesn't change anything. Go and read it yourself. The first amendment says CONGRESS. It says nothing about the states.
if the constitution doesnt apply to the states then why do the states keep going to SCOTUS to see if their laws abide the constitution,,,

Yes it does....here it is
Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions.

Guys, you really need to learn how the govenrment works.......stop listening to leftwing media and politicians.....they just get you emotional and pissed off...

Yes it does....here it is
Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions.

And the constitution says CONGRESS shall pass no law. That is the supreme law. That CONGRESS cannot outlaw Scientology. It says nothing about the states being so limited.

And the constitution says CONGRESS shall pass no law. That is the supreme law. That CONGRESS cannot outlaw Scientology. It says nothing about the states being so limited.
Holy shit, it does, The states cannot pass a law that is unconstitutional....that's why these laws go to the supreme court. I mean come on. Name me one law states have that the constitution denies?

It's why all the speech and gun laws fail, they are in the constitution, ABORTION IS NOT in the Constitution, therefore the states can regulate it.

Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions. It prohibits states from interfering with the federal government's exercise of its constitutional powers, and from assuming any functions that are exclusively entrusted to the federal government. It does not, however, allow the federal government to review or veto state laws before they take effect.

Let's say 25 states outlaw Scientology. That's fine, right? Anyone who wants to be a Scientologist can just move to another state, right?

There is no deeply held tradition in this country to engage in Scientology, so it's actually fine to outlaw it.

The last time I looked at the U.S, Constitution, it's Amendments and individual State and Commonwealth religions are protected.
However, if it can be proven that cult of Scientology is not a religion then it may be restricted.
See:

Then again, let's not forget that President Clinton gave the okay to brutally destroy the Branch Davidian religious cult.
See: Clinton’s and Biden’s Massacre: Waco’s Branch Davidian Slaughter a Preview of Today’s Evil Politicians
"“The record of the Waco incident documents mistakes[sic]. What the record from Waco [sic] does not evidence, however, is any improper motive or intent on the part of law enforcement.” – Joseph Biden, U.S. Senator, Delaware (D) and member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which issued the Waco Investigation Report
” In 1993, Tanks were used to crush the compound’s outer perimeter and outer buildings, private vehicles belonging to the Branch Davidians, and repeatedly rolled over the grave of Branch Davidian’s Peter Gent, despite protests from both Branch Davidians and federal negotiators.​
“While none of this is acceptable, two of these activities bear special examination: the gas and flash bang grenades""​
.​

Holy shit, it does, The states cannot pass a law that is unconstitutional....that's why these laws go to the supreme court. I mean come on. Name me one law states have that the constitution denies?

It's true that the states cannot pass an unconstitutional law. But the constitution says CONGRESS is prohibited from passing laws about religion.

Look, the Supreme Court has even said so.

The Constitution was ordained and established by the people of the United States for themselves, for their own government, and not for the government of individual States.

Barron v. Mayor & City Council of Baltimore, 32 U.S. 243 (1833)

I don't even think you understand what I posted, not sure why.
I didn't say that you said "is". I Said what is, is.
As in right now churches do have exemption status, and
I don't think Scientology should have that exemption
It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.

Check out the Scientology buildings in Ventura. Located just West of Seaward along the 101 freeway.
They stand empty like many of their properties.

Holy hell... those weren't there when I left...

They're empty because they don't have the people to fill them. As I understand it, their membership is less than half of what they claim it to be.

So let's see... They are a for profit cult and real estate investment company...

Scientology should not be outlawed. I believe it's a hateful nasty cult, but idiots should have the right to be idiots. God bless America.

Holy hell... those weren't there when I left...

They're empty because they don't have the people to fill them. As I understand it, their membership is less than half of what they claim it to be.

So let's see... They are a for profit cult and real estate investment company...
I drive by there everyday and there might be a security guard parked on the lot. Thats it.

Off of Sulphur Mountain they converted Larry Hagmans place to a drug rehab. It's not cheap.

Scientology is ridiculous and it’s adherents suckers, but states don’t have the right to outlaw religion.

It's true that the states cannot pass an unconstitutional law. But the constitution says CONGRESS is prohibited from passing laws about religion.

Look, the Supreme Court has even said so.

The Constitution was ordained and established by the people of the United States for themselves, for their own government, and not for the government of individual States.

Barron v. Mayor & City Council of Baltimore, 32 U.S. 243 (1833)
Yes, but what law will the state pass that doesn't contradict the Constitution? The Constitution is supreme, meaning that if you were to restrict gun laws in NY, the Constitution, says nope.......Same with religion, you have free exercise to practice your relgion, no state can mess with that, why? Becasue the Constitution says you can't and it's supreme. So yes the Constitution mentions Congress, but The Constitution also overrides the states, so state Congresses (ie legistations) and even the State Constitutions cannot override the US Constitution. If a state consitutution can't override the US Constitution, then no law passed by the state can override the Constitution.

Forum List

Back