Senate Passes Bill to Avoid Rail Strike

My prayers are with you for your illness.

As far as for workers, it is funny that you want corporations to make as much as they can but believe the workers you know the ones that actually do the nuts and bolts work of the company should be always under the heal of the corporations. It is actually sad not funny.

Thank you again.

It's just I am against forcing people to pay money they don't want to give. If a worker is making great money, I'm all for it, as long as it wasn't by force which is the case here. It's irrelevant how much a company makes. I mean...... when you go to McDonald's, they don't charge you for a meal based on how much you make. You pay the same amount for your big mac combo as Donald Trump.

The same holds true with a company. What they make doesn't concern you. They are paying you X dollars per hour and it doesn't matter if they are going broke or making money hand over fist. You agreed to take the job and work for X amount per hour. Nobody promised you pay increases based on company profit.

Thank you again.

It's just I am against forcing people to pay money they don't want to give. If a worker is making great money, I'm all for it, as long as it wasn't by force which is the case here. It's irrelevant how much a company makes. I mean...... when you go to McDonald's, they don't charge you for a meal based on how much you make. You pay the same amount for your big mac combo as Donald Trump.

The same holds true with a company. What they make doesn't concern you. They are paying you X dollars per hour and it doesn't matter if they are going broke or making money hand over fist. You agreed to take the job and work for X amount per hour. Nobody promised you pay increases based on company profit.

Forcing them? They don't have to sign the contract. Like you say to the workers. Don't like it go get a different job.

Don't like the contract don't sign it n get a cheaper, dumber workforce.

Sick pay is not a requirement of employment, it's a benefit like vacation pay, personal days, college tuition help and so on.

Have the rail workers always worked without sick pay; did they accept the job with no sick pay? If so, they accepted the terms of employment. It's not up to them to change those terms of employment. If you want sick pay, get a job with sick pay which is most of them.
Never said it was a requirement although it should be. I’m simply pointing out that it is nothing new or surprising for unions to make an issue of it when bargaining.

Oh please. My last job I worked with retired government workers. They were 55 years old when they joined our company. Their retirement paid them plenty to live on, but they got bored staying at home, or their wives were pissed off because they were still working and their husband not. So they either took a part-time or full time job.

True, government jobs pay about the same as the private market for most professions, but they do much better with benefits. And if their union isn't doing anything for them, why keep them? They can get rid of the union anytime they want. In fact the last customer of ours that was union, it's the workers that got rid of them.
I was one of those who retired when I reached 55.

Funny how when I was 21 and fresh out of college in the 70s, the Government offered me $12,000 a year while everyone else was offering $15,000. The recruiter told me, but you can get a great retirement when you are 55. At 21 I thought I might as well be dead.
Fast forward to the 90s and I was a Supervisor trying to hire Engineers at $70,000 a year when corporate employers were offering $90-$100k during the dot com boom. They laughed at me when I told them about the retirement system

The BLS has them at 65K a year.

65k isn't much of a salary. The pay increases are completely justified. It's a workers duty to try and improve working conditions and pay.

It's just I am against forcing people to pay money they don't want to give. If a worker is making great money, I'm all for it, as long as it wasn't by force which is the case here. It's irrelevant how much a company makes
Again, employers don’t pay higher wages out of the goodness of their heart or a sense of fairness.
They pay more because they are forced to do so

You should be more supportive of workers who are finally starting to recover wages

It's great to see workers banding together.

Selling out American Unions was the worst thing to happen to Labor.
A single employee can’t threaten to strike, a single employer who is being mistreated has few options, a single worker has little leverage in wage negotiations.

But we sold out unions with our Right to Work laws. You don’t have to join a union but you still benefit from what they negotiate

A single employee can’t threaten to strike, a single employer who is being mistreated has few options, a single worker has little leverage in wage negotiations.

But we sold out unions with our Right to Work laws. You don’t have to join a union but you still benefit from what they negotiate
Well said.

Unions were a thing of the past long before right to work. American workers finally figured out it's better to have a job with lower pay than no job at all in the 90's and continued right into the 2000's.

Again, employers don’t pay higher wages out of the goodness of their heart or a sense of fairness.
They pay more because they are forced to do so

You should be more supportive of workers who are finally starting to recover wages

See what working for the government does to you instead of having a real job? I never had to ask for a raise. My employers offered me raises because they valued my work.

I worked for two unions in my life: one was the bricklayers union which were fair in what they wanted for their bricklayers. The other was a minimum wage job driving a straight truck where all the union did was take my money and provided nothing. It was a mob company so we were forced to have a union.

Correct, employers don't provide more money out of the goodness of their heart. They provide more money to keep their talented workers from looking around for a job that does pay more money.

Unions were a thing of the past long before right to work. American workers finally figured out it's better to have a job with lower pay than no job at all in the 90's and continued right into the 2000's.
And we wonder why workers are going backwards. Yay we want less.

Forum List

Back