Senate Passes Bill to Avoid Rail Strike

They can quit. Nixing your '13th amendment' claim. As those in involuntary servitude can't quit and go home.

Funny, I must have missed that little caveat in the 13th. Could you point it out? But wouldn't what congress is doing be union busting and against federal law? Oh, and after a bit more thought, the commerce clause allows congress to regulate the industry, not the employees.

Funny, I must have missed that little caveat in the 13th. Could you point it out? But wouldn't what congress is doing be union busting and against federal law? Oh, and after a bit more thought, the commerce clause allows congress to regulate the industry, not the employees.

Obviously a plain reading of 'involuntary servitude' would not include someone who can quit the job.

Slaves couldn't opt out of plantation work and quit being slaves. Nor could indentured servants.

Every one of those rail workers can walk away and go home if they want to quit. Its a job.

Obviously a plain reading of 'involuntary servitude' would not include someone who can quit the job.

Slaves couldn't opt out of plantation work and quit being slaves. Nor could indentured servants.

Every one of those rail workers can walk away and go home if they want to quit. Its a job.

The 13th doesn't mention indentured servants, it says involuntary servitude. That would be having to work under conditions, not of your choosing. That is what congress is imposing. So much for xiden being a union supporter.

The 13th doesn't mention indentured servants, it says involuntary servitude. That would be having to work under conditions, not of your choosing. That is what congress is imposing. So much for xiden being a union supporter.

It says 'involuntary servitude'.

No plain reading of 'involuntary servitude' would include a job you can quit.

And railworkers do not get paid sick days. That was defeated by the GOP.

Days ago I saw that the House passed the provision giving them 7 days, I figured with Democrats having control of the Senate it was a done deal. Didn't know it failed until I read your post. Initially was going to blast you for blaming the GOP. Fortunately, I at least try to know what I'm posting about and so looked up the details. Only a few minutes did I discover it needed 60 votes for passage. Boy how true what they say about assumptions.

So the employer gets to decide how much is fair?

For decades, corporations have seen record profits, their tax rates have been cut by 40 percent, Executive compensation has escalated to obscene levels.

Still blue collar workers like Rayfrom Cleveland complain if workers start to be better compensated after decades of stagnant wages.

This is bullshit.

The Average rail worker wage is in the 25 dollar an hour range.

If they make 100 grand it is because they are working 80 hours a week.

It's just a report I heard on the news.

For decades, corporations have seen record profits, their tax rates have been cut by 40 percent, Executive compensation has escalated to obscene levels.

Still blue collar workers like Rayfrom Cleveland complain if workers start to be better compensated after decades of stagnant wages.

So what difference does it make how much the company makes, it's not the business of the worker unless your contract has profit sharing. If your company doesn't have profit sharing, you buy stocks in the company you work for so you can share in their profits.

When your company is not making money, do you work for less money? Well........ then why should you get paid more when they do make money?

No, he hates unions. You know the people that are like 11% of the private workforce but 100% of the problem. Well in his mind anyhow and actually in most of the rights minds.

Well when you've seen company after company move out of state or country to get rid of unions, meaning loss of work to you, yes, you develop a resentment towards unions.

So worker collective bargaining has no bearing on wages?
When an employer holds the cards….he sets the scale
When workers hold the cards…..they set the scale

With 3.6 percent unemployment, workers hold the cards

You should be celebrating

Why would anybody celebrate higher consumer costs amid an inflation rate of nearly 8%? Sounds kind of stupid, doesn't it?

This is bullshit.

The Average rail worker wage is in the 25 dollar an hour range.

If they make 100 grand it is because they are working 80 hours a week.

The BLS has them at 65K a year.

Forum List

Back