Seattle to defund Police by 50 percent!!!

Reform can work yes.
However Cincinnati didn't remove 50% of the police budget and call it "reform".
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing
Know the difference their champ.

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

Seattle isn't simply going to cut funding and nothing else .
No but halving the police force is monumentally stupid.
The result is going to go down as one of the worst decisions in municipal history.
Having said that - they won't actually do it. They just want to appear to be doing it to appease the morons.

Other cities have already. It's worked.
What has worked?

Reform can work yes.
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

No but halving the police force is monumentally stupid.
The result is going to go down as one of the worst decisions in municipal history.
Having said that - they won't actually do it. They just want to appear to be doing it to appease the morons.

Other cities have already. It's worked.
What has worked?

What's being discussed.

The police do not need military equipment. The police should not be handling mental health calls. Want to make the job a 4 year college degree and pay better? OK, I'm OK with that. Otherwise they are not capable of handling many things. We've seen it.
So, a mentally ill person has a gun, has already shot someone and is screaming and yelling in the street. You gonna send in a psychologist?

Reform can work yes.

That's exactly what they are voting for.

1. Cut funding
2. ?????
3. Effective low impact policing?

We can see how it has worked elsewhere.

The 2018 crime rate in Cincinnati, OH is 518 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.9 times greater than the U.S. average. It was higher than in 96.3% U.S. cities.

And Cincinnati didn't cut the funding for their PD by 50% either. Fewer cops = more crime. Unavoidable.

Cincinnati is not Seattle and Washington state is not Ohio, meaning the laws are different, the governing i different and the circumstances are different. Meaning what works in Cinci or anywhere else might not work in Seattle. The Seattle city council wants to cut PD funding for the rest of this year by 50%. There's no word about what their plans are to maintain law and order, frankly I suspect they don't have any beyond the wistful return to the "summer of love". Good luck with that. I know of no example in history where a big drop in your police force did not result in a significant boost in crime.

Fewer cops does not mean more crime. It means they are freed up to not go on "mental health" call as people actually trained in that can do that.

"Fewer cops does not mean more crime."

Show me one place where a city had fewer cops out there without more crime. You are lying sir.

About those mental health calls, how many of them are some kind of 'domestic disturbances' where somebody has a knife or a gun and is somewhat overly-excited? You wanna send a social worker out for that? I dunno if that is the answer, although I wouldn't doubt there are many other cases that do not require a uniformed cop with a gun. I kinda doubt a major city like Seattle can get by with half of it's police force though.

To me, the big thing with police misconduct is the lack of accountability. You just can't allow a bad cop to stay on your police force, and that occurs way too often in our major city PDs. Which are run by the democrats in almost all cases. Bad cops should be prosecuted or fired if the evidence warrants it, depending on the seriousness of the incident in question. And past history has to be considered. And none of this immunity stuff either, a badge doesn't give you the privilege to beatup or shoot somebody.

OTOH, when confronted by the police you need to STFU and comply with his directions. And you can expect to be shot if you make a move that could reasonably be construed as threatening. The cop has a right to go home to his wife and kids too.

The ironic thing is most of the issues that create the police mentality of being more important than everyone else comes from large cities under democratic control, with their excessive rules and regulations.

So cops can park in front of hydrants and bus stops overnight, but regular people can't.
They can park all over the place by their precincts, but regular people can't
They can keep firearms at home for their protection without spending money and time, but regular people can't.

Police and government employees were meant to be civil SERVANTS, not a new class of knights/nobility with more perks than the rest of us.

So why are you arguing to end that?

I am saying police need to be held more accountable and to a higher standard, but defunding them is pknopp, i.e. retarded

Fyi I am calling you a fucking retard if you are having trouble getting the point

The police do not need military equipment. The police should not be handling mental health calls. Want to make the job a 4 year college degree and pay better? OK, I'm OK with that. Otherwise they are not capable of handling many things. We've seen it.

The police serve and protect. It's their motto. The don't serve and protect only some.

Families do not call the police on a mentally disturbed family member unless they know the history of that person is to get violent at times. Nor can they tell if a person who is struggling with them has emotional challenges as well. They subdue the individual, take them to the station, and then decide how to treat the matter there.

The police can't go to a situation of a man running around naked claiming to be Jesus Christ, and then say "Well, this isn't our territory. We're going to send a shrink down here." It just won't work.

Reform can work yes.

Right, we know that, they're going to cut funding and increase crime.

It's worked elsewhere and will also in Seattle.
What worked? Defunding the budget by 50%....and it worked?
Please provide a link to that one.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.
Do you deflect often when you can't produce the goods? :laughing0301:

They "disbanded" their department. Does that mean there are no police?

This city disbanded its police department 7 years ago. Here's what happened next

Yeah Camden, let me tell you about Camden. They disbanded their police force and joined up with other cities in their county to create a county police force and ended up with more cops on the streets of Camden then they had before. Now Camden is not a particularly large city, around 75,000 or so if I remember right. So what worked for them isn't going to work for Seattle, Minnesota, and other big cities cuz the surrounding towns don't have the money to pay for policing the big city next door.

One more time, fewer cops on the street ALWAYS results in more crime.

Camden ended up paying less. Remember, they got rid of the police union.

... and the city police department was scrapped and replaced with a county-run department that received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants. Because the move involved busting the police union, a frequent opponent of meaningful reforms, the new department was able to hire cops at lower wages.

Sure they did, and they ended up with more cops than before. How? They got a lot of money form the state of New Jersey and federal funding from the Obama Admin. I highly Seattle can defund their PD by 50% without busting their Police Union. Camden 'received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants, Saolon's words, not mine. Wiill the tate of Washington pony-up a bunch of money for Seattle? Could be, but I highly doubt they'll get tens of millions in federal grants, cuz I don't think the federal gov't can or should subsidize local depts for every city that has had police issues and wants to disband or defund. Far as I'm concerned, that should be on the states and counties, and cities to provide public safety and security as they see fit and pay for it themselves.

Busting the police union is a large part of the idea. The head of the police union in Seattle had to have a lawsuit filed against him because he wouldn't quit wearing his "white power" patch. Do you really think that Seattle won't jump at the chance to defund him?

Getting rid of the head of the union is one thing, but getting rid of the whole union is another. Hey, I'm all for it, that's how Camden managed to disband their PD and still end up more cops on the street, cuz they were paying them less in total compensation after the union went away. Which came back BTW, I'm wondering what'll happen a few years down the road when that union starts bargaining for their next contract. Will Camden end up right back where they started 10 years from now? Blue state, democrats running it, yeah I'd bet money on it.

But Seattle and Minneapolis and the other major cities are another story. They can't do what Camden did, bounce the union and have the county take over the policing. I haven't heard anybody talking about what the legalities are in Washington or Minnesota for public unions, legislation would probably have to be passed and adjudicated in the courts before anything major can change.

And the other thing is the rank and file cops, how many in Seattle and every other big city that wants to defund or disband the PD re going to relocate to a smaller town or go into private security? Somehow I don't think the quality of your new PD or whatever it will be called, will be improved.

There is one important fact missing from all the replies that we can't do this or we can't do that.

We will institute reform or the country will burn.

Dood...pretty sure you can't afford that one.

from YOUR link
Police had killed 15 young black men in the six years leading up to the 2001 shooting death of Timothy Thomas. The ACLU had filed a class action suit alleging that the police had violated the civil rights of 14 young black men by shooting them, profiling them and illegally stopping and searching them.
.....NO evidence of police brutality and NO evidence those shootings were unjustified!!!!!!!!!! = your link is worthless and proves nothing
AND --AND ---AND--this proves MY point in the link I posted:
....15 killed in 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...less than 3 per year!!!!!!!!!!!--how many unjustified???!!! 1??? 1 in 3 years???!!
it's all in my link explaining that there is no problem

It's going to stop. We can argue whether something works or it doesn't all day and it's worthless. Reform is going to happen or the country burns.
...how can something be reformed for the better if nothing is really wrong??!!!!

from YOUR link
Police had killed 15 young black men in the six years leading up to the 2001 shooting death of Timothy Thomas. The ACLU had filed a class action suit alleging that the police had violated the civil rights of 14 young black men by shooting them, profiling them and illegally stopping and searching them.
.....NO evidence of police brutality and NO evidence those shootings were unjustified!!!!!!!!!! = your link is worthless and proves nothing
....15 killed in 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...less than 3 per year!!!!!!!!!!!--how many unjustified???!!! 1??? 1 in 3 years???!!

It's going to stop. We can argue whether something works or it doesn't all day and it's worthless. Reform is going to happen or the country burns.
hahahhahahahahahha..we are so scared....hhhhhhhhhhhahahahahhahahahahah
...STFU--
1.NOTHING is going to change..there will not be a significant change in black deaths by cops--because there's not many to begin with
2. blacks will still keep murdering blacks at HIGH rates and graduating at low rates

So, a mentally ill person has a gun, has already shot someone and is screaming and yelling in the street. You gonna send in a psychologist?

Please.........why not just ask what happens if Godzilla returns? We are going to quit sending the police on calls they are not equipped to handle. It's going to happen or things burn.

You don't send an imbecile to do the job of a mental health professional.

Video: Unarmed Man on Ground With Hands Up Shot by Officer

from YOUR link

...STFU--
1.NOTHING is going to change..there will not be a significant change in black deaths by cops--because there's not many to begin with
2. blacks will still keep murdering blacks at HIGH rates and graduating at low rates

We are seeing the change. You can deny it all you want. There is hardly a day that goes by now where a police officer isn't fired or arrested for excessive force.

Please.........why not just ask what happens if Godzilla returns? We are going to quit sending the police on calls they are not equipped to handle. It's going to happen or things burn.

....hahahhahahah--you just proved to be a dumbass----a mental health professional sent to take down large, irrational jackasses that don't want to be taken down
..and you are burning your own hoods'!! hahahahahhahahahahah

Reform can work yes.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.

This city disbanded its police department 7 years ago. Here's what happened next

Yeah Camden, let me tell you about Camden. They disbanded their police force and joined up with other cities in their county to create a county police force and ended up with more cops on the streets of Camden then they had before. Now Camden is not a particularly large city, around 75,000 or so if I remember right. So what worked for them isn't going to work for Seattle, Minnesota, and other big cities cuz the surrounding towns don't have the money to pay for policing the big city next door.

... and the city police department was scrapped and replaced with a county-run department that received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants. Because the move involved busting the police union, a frequent opponent of meaningful reforms, the new department was able to hire cops at lower wages.

Sure they did, and they ended up with more cops than before. How? They got a lot of money form the state of New Jersey and federal funding from the Obama Admin. I highly Seattle can defund their PD by 50% without busting their Police Union. Camden 'received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants, Saolon's words, not mine. Wiill the tate of Washington pony-up a bunch of money for Seattle? Could be, but I highly doubt they'll get tens of millions in federal grants, cuz I don't think the federal gov't can or should subsidize local depts for every city that has had police issues and wants to disband or defund. Far as I'm concerned, that should be on the states and counties, and cities to provide public safety and security as they see fit and pay for it themselves.

Busting the police union is a large part of the idea. The head of the police union in Seattle had to have a lawsuit filed against him because he wouldn't quit wearing his "white power" patch. Do you really think that Seattle won't jump at the chance to defund him?

Getting rid of the head of the union is one thing, but getting rid of the whole union is another. Hey, I'm all for it, that's how Camden managed to disband their PD and still end up more cops on the street, cuz they were paying them less in total compensation after the union went away. Which came back BTW, I'm wondering what'll happen a few years down the road when that union starts bargaining for their next contract. Will Camden end up right back where they started 10 years from now? Blue state, democrats running it, yeah I'd bet money on it.

But Seattle and Minneapolis and the other major cities are another story. They can't do what Camden did, bounce the union and have the county take over the policing. I haven't heard anybody talking about what the legalities are in Washington or Minnesota for public unions, legislation would probably have to be passed and adjudicated in the courts before anything major can change.

And the other thing is the rank and file cops, how many in Seattle and every other big city that wants to defund or disband the PD re going to relocate to a smaller town or go into private security? Somehow I don't think the quality of your new PD or whatever it will be called, will be improved.

There is one important fact missing from all the replies that we can't do this or we can't do that.

It hasn't been happening? Watch, if the killers of Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain are cleared, things will burn.

Reform can work yes.

It hasn't been happening? Watch, if the killers of Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain are cleared, things will burn.

It has been happening, and folks are just about to the point of being fed up. You want to continue, be my guest.

Reform can work yes.

hahhahahahahahah...you prove everything we've been saying---you are really fkn up today

from YOUR link

...STFU--

We are seeing the change. You can deny it all you want. There is hardly a day that goes by now where a police officer isn't fired or arrested for excessive force.

Hardly a day goes by? You mean officers are arrested five or six times a week for excessive force? Any link to that claim?

Look......if you are going to weaken the power of our police departments, they will not be able to effectively do their job. Remember the Ferguson Effect? Police in minority areas threw their hands up in surrender. Murder went up, theft went up, shootings went up in those minority areas. The police would only respond to calls coming in, and nothing more.

If they seen two guys beating the hell out of each other, pretend you don't see it. Same thing with drug deals, same thing with traffic offenses. The prisoners were running the asylum. Things were out of control like they are now.

This is another problem being created by the left, and if they don't back off or are stopped, it's going to be devastating.

This report is from four years ago. Any idea how it was concluded?

Seattle just nuked itself !!!
It will be the white trash Baltimore

I really enjoy watching Bolshevik city after city destroy itself

False and stupid headline.
Defunding means to give zero money.
They're reducing funds.
De = Get rid of.
Defang: Remove fangs. Not leaving half there.
Idiot.

Yep, many do know what "defunding" means. It's you ass-wipes that have started calling it reform.

But don't expect to get a tax rebate with the windfall. The Democrat hierarchy already has that money squirreled away in a safe place.

Forum List

Back