Seattle to defund Police by 50 percent!!!

Reform can work yes.
However Cincinnati didn't remove 50% of the police budget and call it "reform".
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing
Know the difference their champ.

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

Seattle isn't simply going to cut funding and nothing else .

Right, we know that, they're going to cut funding and increase crime.

It's worked elsewhere and will also in Seattle.

How....out of curiosity, how has it worked out? It seems unwise...reform seems like a better avenue.

It's all reform. None of this would be happening if people would have called for and enacted reform long ago. There are still a large number fighting reforms.
Then is meant by defunding by 50%?

The rest will go to mental health professionals. Facilities to care for people. Etc
Ahh...the OP article wasn’t clear. They really should not use the word defund then....

Reform can work yes.
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

What worked? Defunding the budget by 50%....and it worked?
Please provide a link to that one.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.
Do you deflect often when you can't produce the goods? :laughing0301:

They "disbanded" their department. Does that mean there are no police?

This city disbanded its police department 7 years ago. Here's what happened next

Yeah Camden, let me tell you about Camden. They disbanded their police force and joined up with other cities in their county to create a county police force and ended up with more cops on the streets of Camden then they had before. Now Camden is not a particularly large city, around 75,000 or so if I remember right. So what worked for them isn't going to work for Seattle, Minnesota, and other big cities cuz the surrounding towns don't have the money to pay for policing the big city next door.

One more time, fewer cops on the street ALWAYS results in more crime.

Camden ended up paying less. Remember, they got rid of the police union.
lol Camden got rid of its police force. The county now provides what police services are needed. Camden city is piss poor and was never able to afford quality policing, so it gave up trying and the county, which includes many wealthy areas took over.

The city government and the black communities in the city now have very little say in what happens on their streets and they love it. At first they hated it because the county installed a very heavy police presence, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a cop, and the black community, which is virtually the entire population of Camden city, was up in arms about the country police, not only because there were cops everywhere, but also because none of them lived in the city and the city residents had no say in police matters. But because of the very heavy police presence, crime is way down in this once dangerous city, and the residents are loving it.

The lesson to be learned here is that when the police are unable to do a good job, you need to spend more, not less, to fix the problem.

Reform can work yes.

How....out of curiosity, how has it worked out? It seems unwise...reform seems like a better avenue.

It's all reform. None of this would be happening if people would have called for and enacted reform long ago. There are still a large number fighting reforms.
Then is meant by defunding by 50%?

The rest will go to mental health professionals. Facilities to care for people. Etc
Ahh...the OP article wasn’t clear. They really should not use the word defund then....

I'll agree with that.

Reform can work yes.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.

This city disbanded its police department 7 years ago. Here's what happened next

Yeah Camden, let me tell you about Camden. They disbanded their police force and joined up with other cities in their county to create a county police force and ended up with more cops on the streets of Camden then they had before. Now Camden is not a particularly large city, around 75,000 or so if I remember right. So what worked for them isn't going to work for Seattle, Minnesota, and other big cities cuz the surrounding towns don't have the money to pay for policing the big city next door.

lol Camden got rid of its police force. The county now provides what police services are needed. Camden city is piss poor and was never able to afford quality policing, so it gave up trying and the county, which includes many wealthy areas took over.

The city government and the black communities in the city now have very little say in what happens on their streets and they love it. At first they hated it because the county installed a very heavy police presence, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a cop, and the black community, which is virtually the entire population of Camden city, was up in arms about the country police, not only because there were cops everywhere, but also because none of them lived in the city and the city residents had no say in police matters. But because of the very heavy police presence, crime is way down in this once dangerous city, and the residents are loving it.

The lesson to be learned here is that when the police are unable to do a good job, you need to spend more, not less, to fix the problem.

Crime went down. You can moan all you want. This is going to happen.

Seattle just nuked itself !!!
It will be the white trash Baltimore

I really enjoy watching Bolshevik city after city destroy itself

It will be interesting to see if the citizens there re-elect these radicals. If common sense prevails, it could turn red. But I think the idiots there won’t come around.
I doubt Seattle would ever red. That is like expecting Alabama to turn blue.

Reform can work yes.

Crime went down because more money is being spent on policing than previously, not less.

Reform can work yes.

... and the city police department was scrapped and replaced with a county-run department that received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants. Because the move involved busting the police union, a frequent opponent of meaningful reforms, the new department was able to hire cops at lower wages.

Sure they did, and they ended up with more cops than before. How? They got a lot of money form the state of New Jersey and federal funding from the Obama Admin. I highly Seattle can defund their PD by 50% without busting their Police Union. Camden 'received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants, Saolon's words, not mine. Wiill the tate of Washington pony-up a bunch of money for Seattle? Could be, but I highly doubt they'll get tens of millions in federal grants, cuz I don't think the federal gov't can or should subsidize local depts for every city that has had police issues and wants to disband or defund. Far as I'm concerned, that should be on the states and counties, and cities to provide public safety and security as they see fit and pay for it themselves.

Reform can work yes.

Crime went down because more money is being spent on policing than previously, not less.

It's being spent differently.

Reform can work yes.

... and the city police department was scrapped and replaced with a county-run department that received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants. Because the move involved busting the police union, a frequent opponent of meaningful reforms, the new department was able to hire cops at lower wages.

Sure they did, and they ended up with more cops than before. How? They got a lot of money form the state of New Jersey and federal funding from the Obama Admin. I highly Seattle can defund their PD by 50% without busting their Police Union. Camden 'received increased taxpayer funding and tens of millions in federal grants, Saolon's words, not mine. Wiill the tate of Washington pony-up a bunch of money for Seattle? Could be, but I highly doubt they'll get tens of millions in federal grants, cuz I don't think the federal gov't can or should subsidize local depts for every city that has had police issues and wants to disband or defund. Far as I'm concerned, that should be on the states and counties, and cities to provide public safety and security as they see fit and pay for it themselves.

Busting the police union is a large part of the idea. The head of the police union in Seattle had to have a lawsuit filed against him because he wouldn't quit wearing his "white power" patch. Do you really think that Seattle won't jump at the chance to defund him?

Seattle just nuked itself !!!
It will be the white trash Baltimore

I really enjoy watching Bolshevik city after city destroy itself

It will be interesting to see if the citizens there re-elect these radicals. If common sense prevails, it could turn red. But I think the idiots there won’t come around.
I doubt Seattle would ever red. That is like expecting Alabama to turn blue.
Allow angry black mobs to burn businesses and homes, and things change.

Reform can work yes.

Of course it's being spent differently. Before the county took over, the city of Camden could barely afford to hire enough police to respond to emergencies, but now the county's version of community policing means where ever you go there are police watching you. The county put more cops on the street to discourage crime. It didn't hire a lot of mental health workers or counsellors and there are no community oversight committees. It's really very simple, if you want less crime, put more police on the streets and let them do their job and trust that if they break the law, the courts will deal with them.

If you want more crime, police reform is the answer. Cincinnati is a perfect example. Reformers believe they have achieved a great success, but by any reasonable measure Cincinnati is a failure. It now has one of the highest crime rates of any city of its size and is considered a dangerous city even to visit.

Reform can work yes.

In other words, federalizing the police, just as Tucker predicted.

Reform can work yes.

Of course it's being spent differently. Before the county took over, the city of Camden could barely afford to hire enough police to respond to emergencies, but now the county's version of community policing means where ever you go there are police watching you. The county put more cops on the street to discourage crime. It didn't hire a lot of mental health workers or counsellors and there are no community oversight committees. It's really very simple, if you want less crime, put more police on the streets and let them do their job and trust that if they break the law, the courts will deal with them.

If you want more crime, police reform is the answer. Cincinnati is a perfect example. Reformers believe they have achieved a great success, but by any reasonable measure Cincinnati is a failure. It now has one of the highest crime rates of any city of its size and is considered a dangerous city even to visit.

Right, by all accounts Cincinnati's reform has worked but USMB experts know better.

Reform can work yes.

Right, by all accounts Cincinnati's reform has worked but USMB experts know better.
There are no accounts by which police reform in Cincinnati worked. When the police were taken down, crime went up and now Cincinnati is a very dangerous city.

Reform can work yes.

Busting the police union is a large part of the idea. The head of the police union in Seattle had to have a lawsuit filed against him because he wouldn't quit wearing his "white power" patch. Do you really think that Seattle won't jump at the chance to defund him?

Getting rid of the head of the union is one thing, but getting rid of the whole union is another. Hey, I'm all for it, that's how Camden managed to disband their PD and still end up more cops on the street, cuz they were paying them less in total compensation after the union went away. Which came back BTW, I'm wondering what'll happen a few years down the road when that union starts bargaining for their next contract. Will Camden end up right back where they started 10 years from now? Blue state, democrats running it, yeah I'd bet money on it.

But Seattle and Minneapolis and the other major cities are another story. They can't do what Camden did, bounce the union and have the county take over the policing. I haven't heard anybody talking about what the legalities are in Washington or Minnesota for public unions, legislation would probably have to be passed and adjudicated in the courts before anything major can change.

And the other thing is the rank and file cops, how many in Seattle and every other big city that wants to defund or disband the PD re going to relocate to a smaller town or go into private security? Somehow I don't think the quality of your new PD or whatever it will be called, will be improved.

Reform can work yes.

Getting rid of the head of the union is one thing, but getting rid of the whole union is another. Hey, I'm all for it, that's how Camden managed to disband their PD and still end up more cops on the street, cuz they were paying them less in total compensation after the union went away. Which came back BTW, I'm wondering what'll happen a few years down the road when that union starts bargaining for their next contract. Will Camden end up right back where they started 10 years from now? Blue state, democrats running it, yeah I'd bet money on it.

But Seattle and Minneapolis and the other major cities are another story. They can't do what Camden did, bounce the union and have the county take over the policing. I haven't heard anybody talking about what the legalities are in Washington or Minnesota for public unions, legislation would probably have to be passed and adjudicated in the courts before anything major can change.

And the other thing is the rank and file cops, how many in Seattle and every other big city that wants to defund or disband the PD re going to relocate to a smaller town or go into private security? Somehow I don't think the quality of your new PD or whatever it will be called, will be improved.
Actually, Camden city doesn't have a police department. The county police provide the cops that are necessary and since the county of Camden includes some wealthy towns, it can afford to pay a lot more than the city ever could.

Reform can work yes.

Proof that dipshits like this will never know what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING in these cities, but only what the controlled media he admires tells him.

He won't be listening the facts like this, and this is how it is done folks.

Check out the link above if you want to know how well Cincinnati's police reforms are doing when it comes to crime. Hint: not good, Cinci has a rating of 3, meaning it is safer than only 3% of America's cities, where 100% means it's the safest. I cannot find numbers for how many cops they have now vs 5-10 years ago, nor what the crime rate was before, but when 97% of the other US cities are safer than you are, that ain't good enough IMHO. Those numbers are from 2018, the latest the FBI has.

DEFUND THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!
.... murder rates going up in every major city the past several weekends in a row...
DEFUND THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!
.... cities under siege by violent protestors....
DEFUND THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!
....my house gets broken into...
CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back