Seattle to defund Police by 50 percent!!!

Reform can work yes.
However Cincinnati didn't remove 50% of the police budget and call it "reform".
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing
Know the difference their champ.

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

Seattle isn't simply going to cut funding and nothing else .

That's exactly what they are voting for.

1. Cut funding
2. ?????
3. Effective low impact policing?

We can see how it has worked elsewhere.

The 2018 crime rate in Cincinnati, OH is 518 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.9 times greater than the U.S. average. It was higher than in 96.3% U.S. cities.

And Cincinnati didn't cut the funding for their PD by 50% either. Fewer cops = more crime. Unavoidable.

Cincinnati is not Seattle and Washington state is not Ohio, meaning the laws are different, the governing i different and the circumstances are different. Meaning what works in Cinci or anywhere else might not work in Seattle. The Seattle city council wants to cut PD funding for the rest of this year by 50%. There's no word about what their plans are to maintain law and order, frankly I suspect they don't have any beyond the wistful return to the "summer of love". Good luck with that. I know of no example in history where a big drop in your police force did not result in a significant boost in crime.

Fewer cops does not mean more crime. It means they are freed up to not go on "mental health" call as people actually trained in that can do that.

"Fewer cops does not mean more crime."

Show me one place where a city had fewer cops out there without more crime. You are lying sir.

About those mental health calls, how many of them are some kind of 'domestic disturbances' where somebody has a knife or a gun and is somewhat overly-excited? You wanna send a social worker out for that? I dunno if that is the answer, although I wouldn't doubt there are many other cases that do not require a uniformed cop with a gun. I kinda doubt a major city like Seattle can get by with half of it's police force though.

To me, the big thing with police misconduct is the lack of accountability. You just can't allow a bad cop to stay on your police force, and that occurs way too often in our major city PDs. Which are run by the democrats in almost all cases. Bad cops should be prosecuted or fired if the evidence warrants it, depending on the seriousness of the incident in question. And past history has to be considered. And none of this immunity stuff either, a badge doesn't give you the privilege to beatup or shoot somebody.

OTOH, when confronted by the police you need to STFU and comply with his directions. And you can expect to be shot if you make a move that could reasonably be construed as threatening. The cop has a right to go home to his wife and kids too.

The ironic thing is most of the issues that create the police mentality of being more important than everyone else comes from large cities under democratic control, with their excessive rules and regulations.

So cops can park in front of hydrants and bus stops overnight, but regular people can't.
They can park all over the place by their precincts, but regular people can't
They can keep firearms at home for their protection without spending money and time, but regular people can't.

Police and government employees were meant to be civil SERVANTS, not a new class of knights/nobility with more perks than the rest of us.

So why are you arguing to end that?

I am saying police need to be held more accountable and to a higher standard, but defunding them is pknopp, i.e. retarded

Fyi I am calling you a fucking retard if you are having trouble getting the point

The police do not need military equipment. The police should not be handling mental health calls. Want to make the job a 4 year college degree and pay better? OK, I'm OK with that. Otherwise they are not capable of handling many things. We've seen it.

You stupid ass..........the police handle 350 million calls a year.... you are insane. Nothing you believe about the police is remotely true or accurate......

Seattle just nuked itself !!!
It will be the white trash Baltimore

I really enjoy watching Bolshevik city after city destroy itself

I honestly hope so. I hope they defund the police. I hope thousands are killed. I hope they wipe themselves off the map.

That would be glorious.

They will take us with them........ the mass graves will be filled with innocent people who tried to stop the madness....

I honestly hope so. I hope they defund the police. I hope thousands are killed. I hope they wipe themselves off the map.

That would be glorious.

Yep. Every day, Democrat voters are killing other Democrat voters. Then the killers end up in prison where they can no longer vote in most states.

The Covid death rate is 2 to 1 for blacks vs whites, and we all know how they vote.

Trump might not have to do very much to win this election. The way things are going, there might not be many Democrat voters left by November.

Reform can work yes.
They made legitimate changes... not just remove half their budget and think that is a good thing

And BTW - many municipal law enforcement have already adopted many of the ground breaking reforms Cincy did years ago.

That's exactly what they are voting for.

1. Cut funding
2. ?????
3. Effective low impact policing?

We can see how it has worked elsewhere.

The 2018 crime rate in Cincinnati, OH is 518 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.9 times greater than the U.S. average. It was higher than in 96.3% U.S. cities.

And Cincinnati didn't cut the funding for their PD by 50% either. Fewer cops = more crime. Unavoidable.

Cincinnati is not Seattle and Washington state is not Ohio, meaning the laws are different, the governing i different and the circumstances are different. Meaning what works in Cinci or anywhere else might not work in Seattle. The Seattle city council wants to cut PD funding for the rest of this year by 50%. There's no word about what their plans are to maintain law and order, frankly I suspect they don't have any beyond the wistful return to the "summer of love". Good luck with that. I know of no example in history where a big drop in your police force did not result in a significant boost in crime.

Fewer cops does not mean more crime. It means they are freed up to not go on "mental health" call as people actually trained in that can do that.

"Fewer cops does not mean more crime."

Show me one place where a city had fewer cops out there without more crime. You are lying sir.

About those mental health calls, how many of them are some kind of 'domestic disturbances' where somebody has a knife or a gun and is somewhat overly-excited? You wanna send a social worker out for that? I dunno if that is the answer, although I wouldn't doubt there are many other cases that do not require a uniformed cop with a gun. I kinda doubt a major city like Seattle can get by with half of it's police force though.

To me, the big thing with police misconduct is the lack of accountability. You just can't allow a bad cop to stay on your police force, and that occurs way too often in our major city PDs. Which are run by the democrats in almost all cases. Bad cops should be prosecuted or fired if the evidence warrants it, depending on the seriousness of the incident in question. And past history has to be considered. And none of this immunity stuff either, a badge doesn't give you the privilege to beatup or shoot somebody.

OTOH, when confronted by the police you need to STFU and comply with his directions. And you can expect to be shot if you make a move that could reasonably be construed as threatening. The cop has a right to go home to his wife and kids too.

The ironic thing is most of the issues that create the police mentality of being more important than everyone else comes from large cities under democratic control, with their excessive rules and regulations.

So cops can park in front of hydrants and bus stops overnight, but regular people can't.
They can park all over the place by their precincts, but regular people can't
They can keep firearms at home for their protection without spending money and time, but regular people can't.

Police and government employees were meant to be civil SERVANTS, not a new class of knights/nobility with more perks than the rest of us.

So why are you arguing to end that?

I am saying police need to be held more accountable and to a higher standard, but defunding them is pknopp, i.e. retarded

Fyi I am calling you a fucking retard if you are having trouble getting the point

The police do not need military equipment. The police should not be handling mental health calls. Want to make the job a 4 year college degree and pay better? OK, I'm OK with that. Otherwise they are not capable of handling many things. We've seen it.

The police need the equipment they need. As long as gangbangers and drug dealers are carrying heavy arms, the police need equipment that overwhelms whatever they may have. If not, you get shootouts, dead cops, and dead bystanders.

Reform can work yes.

Right, we know that, they're going to cut funding and increase crime.

It's worked elsewhere and will also in Seattle.
What worked? Defunding the budget by 50%....and it worked?
Please provide a link to that one.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.

The thing is your side is only singling out police unions. ALL public sector unions should be disbanded.

You get civil service protections, or you get union protections, you shouldn't get both.

Argue that. This is about the police. Should we discuss the carpenters unions here also? If we get to the point where they are beating people and killing them and the carpenters unions start defending them you will likely get your way.

But you say you want to get rid of the unions. Why fight that here?

Public sector unions, not all unions. Try to stop being dense, or stupid, or stupid/dense.

Fine, when teachers start beating kids and killing them with the teacher unions defending them, you will likely win that argument.

So again, why the defense of the unions now?

Wow, talk about obtuse.

The issue with Public sector unions is that the people negotiating against them don't have a real dog in the fight. They can agree to placate the unions, and then kick the cost can down the road. And the issue with teachers unions in particular is they really only protect the really bad teachers. Read up on NYC's rubber rooms for some info on that.

Show me where specifically Seattle's 50% defunding of the police calls for disestablishing their union.

King County Labor Council expels Seattle police union

Do you have a problem with this?

Yes, because they are not holding any other public sector union to the same standards.

That's not the reason. What other public sector unions are carving out exemptions and defending those who murder others?

Are you trying to be an idiot and not actually respond to my statements, or is this just you being retarded?

If you wish to defend the police unions, have at it. They are going to reform or go away. People aren't pissed at the other unions.

Public unions are a bane on our democracy.

In non-public union situations the ownership has their side, the unions their own. In public unions the "owners" are elected officials, and said public unions often have electoral power beyond their numbers, due to the ability to deliver votes of their members en masse. Therefore you don't have a truly adversarial negotiation, the politicians, push comes to shove, will always kowtow to the public unions, and try to push down any costs to when they are out of office.

Reform can work yes.

I have to chuckle. The "defund" part is to disband the unions but now we have the right arguing against that.

The thing is your side is only singling out police unions. ALL public sector unions should be disbanded.

You get civil service protections, or you get union protections, you shouldn't get both.

Argue that. This is about the police. Should we discuss the carpenters unions here also? If we get to the point where they are beating people and killing them and the carpenters unions start defending them you will likely get your way.

Public sector unions, not all unions. Try to stop being dense, or stupid, or stupid/dense.

Fine, when teachers start beating kids and killing them with the teacher unions defending them, you will likely win that argument.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

The issue with Public sector unions is that the people negotiating against them don't have a real dog in the fight. They can agree to placate the unions, and then kick the cost can down the road. And the issue with teachers unions in particular is they really only protect the really bad teachers. Read up on NYC's rubber rooms for some info on that.

Show me where specifically Seattle's 50% defunding of the police calls for disestablishing their union.

Yes, because they are not holding any other public sector union to the same standards.

That's not the reason. What other public sector unions are carving out exemptions and defending those who murder others?

Are you trying to be an idiot and not actually respond to my statements, or is this just you being retarded?

If you wish to defend the police unions, have at it. They are going to reform or go away. People aren't pissed at the other unions.

In non-public union situations the ownership has their side, the unions their own. In public unions the "owners" are elected officials, and said public unions often have electoral power beyond their numbers, due to the ability to deliver votes of their members en masse. Therefore you don't have a truly adversarial negotiation, the politicians, push comes to shove, will always kowtow to the public unions, and try to push down any costs to when they are out of office.

Which is why the voters must hold the politicians responsible if they don't do their jobs and hold the bad cop accountable for their misdeeds. You get the goov't you vote for, at every level.

What's crazy to me about this stuff going on in Seattle is that their city council wants to cut police funding by 50% THIS YEAR. Consider:

Seven of the nine members of the Seattle City Council said they support an advocate-made proposal to defund the city's Police Department by 50% and to reallocate the funds to other areas of community need.
The plan includes a four-point proposal for defunding the police, including removing Seattle's 911 dispatchers from police control, scaling up community-based solutions to public safety, funding a community-led process to "imagine life beyond policing," and investing in affordable housing.

The advocates for the plan said in a presentation to the council this week that the Police Department's 2021 budget should be cut by half from the $409 million it was given this year. And they said the department's remaining 2020 budget should be cut by 50% this summer.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, who last month proposed a much smaller $20 million cut, has pushed back on the plan, telling council members to slow down. The Democratic mayor told Seattle's KING 5 that slicing the police budget in half would basically eliminate police response for the rest of the year.

"I don't believe there's any community in Seattle that, as a whole, wants to abolish police services for the rest of 2020," Durkan said.

How the hell does a responsible city council do that? I it all political posturing that they have no intention of actually doing? I don't think so these people are full-blown, died-in-the-wool progressive liberals with a political agenda that has no regard for those living outside a gated community. If they go through with this plan, I predict that beautiful city will rapidly turn into a real shit-hole.

Reform can work yes.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

Which is why the voters must hold the politicians responsible if they don't do their jobs and hold the bad cop accountable for their misdeeds. You get the goov't you vote for, at every level.

What's crazy to me about this stuff going on in Seattle is that their city council wants to cut police funding by 50% THIS YEAR. Consider:

Seven of the nine members of the Seattle City Council said they support an advocate-made proposal to defund the city's Police Department by 50% and to reallocate the funds to other areas of community need.
The plan includes a four-point proposal for defunding the police, including removing Seattle's 911 dispatchers from police control, scaling up community-based solutions to public safety, funding a community-led process to "imagine life beyond policing," and investing in affordable housing.

The advocates for the plan said in a presentation to the council this week that the Police Department's 2021 budget should be cut by half from the $409 million it was given this year. And they said the department's remaining 2020 budget should be cut by 50% this summer.

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, who last month proposed a much smaller $20 million cut, has pushed back on the plan, telling council members to slow down. The Democratic mayor told Seattle's KING 5 that slicing the police budget in half would basically eliminate police response for the rest of the year.

"I don't believe there's any community in Seattle that, as a whole, wants to abolish police services for the rest of 2020," Durkan said.

How the hell does a responsible city council do that? I it all political posturing that they have no intention of actually doing? I don't think so these people are full-blown, died-in-the-wool progressive liberals with a political agenda that has no regard for those living outside a gated community. If they go through with this plan, I predict that beautiful city will rapidly turn into a real shit-hole.
You can't hold politicians accountable when half the voters are douchebags.

In a letter, Senior Deputy Mayor Mike Fong begged council members to approach “re-envisioning policing” in a more “thoughtful” way.

Fong explained that the cuts would force the city to “abolish the department”.

“Some of the proposals we have heard that Council (sic) may be considering related to the current 2020 budget rebalancing effort would immediately cut as much as 25% ($100 million) or 50% ($200 million) from SPD’s budget. These blunt efforts would not serve our communities or lead to the thoughtful change needed. SPD has already spent half of its $400 million annual budget by now, so a $200 million cut (or 50% of SPD’s budget) would leave the department with zero budget remaining for 2020 and require the City to abolish the department. $100 million reduction (or 25% of SPD’s budget) would mean immediate layoffs of up to 1,000 personnel leaving Chief Best and the Seattle Police Department unable to conduct basic functions.

This is insanity. Assuming the proposal passes a vote in the city council and the mayor vetoes the proposal, that council apparently has enough votes to override the veto. I would expect a lawsuit from the police union and possibly some citizen group(s) though.

Last edited:

GOOD%2BBLOG%2BOH%2BGOODIE.gif

I can't wait to watch the chaos!

Reform can work yes.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

As long as those like yourself are defending the police unions, I really can't take you seriously.

Reform can work yes.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

Democrats are such dolts. These jokers think that by cutting the police department, they are taking revenge on the police. What they are really doing is taking revenge on the citizens. The older police officers will take an early retirement. The younger and middle-aged ones will get hired in the suburbs or wherever, probably with a much better and safer job. The cops don't care what they do. It's just a job to them, and now a job that won't give protection to officers any longer.

This is insanity. Assuming the proposal passes a vote in the city council and the mayor vetoes the proposal, that council apparently has enough votes to override the veto. I would expect a lawsuit from the police union and possibly some citizen group(s) though.
Seattle is a dying city but now it wants to commit suicide

They haven't been allowed to do their job for years, so
Reform can work yes.

Like New York?

Reform can work yes.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

As long as those like yourself are defending the police unions, I really can't take you seriously.

Defending the POLICE. They can keep associations, but they should either have collective bargaining or civil service protections, not both.

My issue is with singling out Police Unions, and allowing other public sector unions to remain.

Either get rid of them all, or not. no picking the ones you like.

Reform can work yes.

Wow, talk about obtuse.

Defending the POLICE. They can keep associations, but they should either have collective bargaining or civil service protections, not both.

My issue is with singling out Police Unions, and allowing other public sector unions to remain.

Either get rid of them all, or not. no picking the ones you like.

Teachers unions don't work to protect murderers.

Forum List

Back