Season's Greetings...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
...What ridiculous, meaningless thing to say or - much worse - to memorialize in a "greeting card" at this special, sacred, joyous time of year.

A "greeting" is a statement of good wishes, made when encountering a person for the first time in a day.

"Merry Christmas" is a greeting. Indeed it is a greeting associated with a particular time of the year. The same can be said of "Happy New Year," "Happy Hanukkah," and "Happy WInter Solstice." Use them as appropriate.

But to say, "Season's Greetings" is itself not a greeting of any kind. It is just...I don't know...an observation that such greetings (as stated in the previous paragraph) exist. So what?

It is exactly like, instead of saying, "Good morning," "Good afternoon," or Good evening," you said, "Greetings commonly associated with the time of DAY!" Would receiving such "greetings" make you happier than not?

And how can you wish someone a "Merry Christmas," after Christmas? It is a wish for a good day, so it makes no sense whatsoever if the wish is stated after the end of the day. Either it was Merry or it was Crappy, and nothing said after the fact can have any impact, or has any rational meaning.

Same with, "Belated Happy Birthday." Meaningless. If the day is in the past, no wish about its relative happiness is rational. It was what it was. Keep your wishes about it to yourself. They are of no benefit to me.

Do I need an attitude adjustment?

Season's Greetings to all!!!

Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall are "seasons." Christmas is a holiday.

Forum List

Back