Schools with armed staff are safer than schools without...new research...guns save lives...

It really makes you wonder what motivates people to resist this option. I'm convinced they must want more school shootings so they can justify their gun grabbing. It's only logical that good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns, and we use this method everywhere else.

Seriously, who would consider trying to shoot up a school that displays this sign? And even if they did, what do you suppose would happen? DUH!

Guns-at-School-Ballinger-ISD-Sign-e1556168929309.jpg

I'm curious about a couple of things. First, the Excel file shows only 307 schools. That's far, far fewer than the number of public schools in the country, and fewer still if you add private schools. Of those schools, 283 are listed as not allowing guns, 5 are listed as allowing guns, and the remaining 19 do not have an entry in the column. If that is all the data this research used, it seems horribly limited. Looking at 5 schools out of 307 is not the sort of data set I would consider strong.
Second, the data does not seem to indicate how many of the schools actually had teachers that carried guns on campus. That is important information to have when considering the rate of accidental discharges, which the paper does. Put another way, the study looks more at the affect that the signage has on school shootings, rather than the affect teachers carrying guns has.

An interesting study, nonetheless.

I'd also be curious to see if there is a difference in school shootings between schools with armed security/resource officers vs those without, as well as if there is a difference between schools with security officers, whether armed or unarmed, and those without.

The study may be less than definitive, but frankly it amazes me that "research" is necessary at all. If anyone needs any confirmation of the efficacy of defending themselves, I suggest a mock situation using paintball guns. We'll have two scenarios: One where all classroom occupants are unarmed, and another with an armed instructor. Send an armed shooter into each classroom and see how it turns out. Repeat as necessary until the idiots are convinced.

There is simply no excuse for school shootings, period. By refusing to allow our children to be defended, these idiots are literally advocating for school shooters.

Forum List

Back