School staffs face tough questions on bullying

I really hate the blaming of the schools here. THey can't possibly stop every kind of bullying, its impossible.

The fact of the matter it happen around teachers at school during school hrs walking home from school. and the mother ask them to do something more than once. yes it is the school fault. and if you listen to gus last night on anderson cooper... oh god he lying through his teeth. The school fail to protect her safety it is there responsibility to keep a child/teen safe

Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. . .....
Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. ......

You might have been correct..."B.C." ....Before Columbine. But All Public Schools now have anti-bullying programs that are taken very seriously (there are, of course, varying degrees of "very serious").

Witness the opposition's reference to "zero tolerance policy" for bullying:

I think part of the problem is the zero tolerance policy that treats those who defend themselves on an equal or lesser par as the bullying, often subtle or hidden. Both get suspended. Any time my daughter or son (rarely, but it happened) was suspended for defending themselves, I let the school know that while I understand the whole zero tolerance thing, and that while I would not protest the one or two days off, they would not be punished while they were home.

The "zero tolerance policy" isn't the problem.

The main problem is kids: They are incredibly cruel to each other. Go into even the best behaved school, and you'll find bullying (females are much more subtle). Its inherent in the species.

Public Schools teach ALL kids. Eventually they can be expelled, but only AFTER the fact.

Parents, however, are supposed to teach compassion. This is done through modelling compassion. I leave it up to you, gentle reader, to ask yourself how you did this TODAY?

Its not just public school its all and its not just parents and all adults.

Here is the way I look at it.

1. I was a scrawny 140 pound kid when I was in high school and there were two dickheads that used to pick on me all the time. It was that experience though that got me motivated to start going to the gym and by the time I was half way through college I was 190 pounds and could bench 320 and have maintained that through today. So my point is that you can turn a negative into a positive.

2. I guarantee that this kid had a lot of other issues going on inside her head. Millions of kids have been bullied and you only rarely hear about a bullied kid killing them self.

3. Having said all of that, I agree that there should be more done to minimize it. Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. If someone got into a physical altercation at my office their employment would be terminated on the spot. A fight breaks out in school and a kid gets beaten so badly they have to go to the hospital and all that happens to the kid doing the beating is a ten day suspension and then he's right back in school. He should be expelled from the school district forever.

Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. If more school boards around the country would grow a set and hire administrators of the same mindset and eliminated the habitual problem students from the classroom you would see a big increase in the academic performance of the overall student body. Joe Clark, a high school principal in Patterson, NJ back in the 70s was a great example of cleaning up a problem school. They even made a movie about him.

Want to say on this part right now " you only rarely hear about a bullied kid killing them self."

its so more common now than you want to believe... when i was watching this story they bought up about 11 year old boy killing himself cause a student bullied him... some students jump of a college bridge into some water (they got fences up now to try to stop it) and it was more than bullying.

she was rape, she was insulted called teh s word... so many things i don't really want to know.. they stalk her... I just hope gus gets fired and the princable does... i might call the m tomorrow and say more.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

^^^Note: video might take time to load.

Note: NewsPulse - Get the news filtered the way you want and see what's popular - CNN.com (it maybe be listed here im not sure her name was phobe go by that you should find it.

here it is in written a bit

sorry can't find it here...

Mass. School Head Defends Response To Bullying - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

the best one i can find... not the one i was looking for... i was going to get cnn one but can't oh well.

Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. . .....
Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. ......

You might have been correct..."B.C." ....Before Columbine. But All Public Schools now have anti-bullying programs that are taken very seriously (there are, of course, varying degrees of "very serious").

I think part of the problem is the zero tolerance policy that treats those who defend themselves on an equal or lesser par as the bullying, often subtle or hidden. Both get suspended. Any time my daughter or son (rarely, but it happened) was suspended for defending themselves, I let the school know that while I understand the whole zero tolerance thing, and that while I would not protest the one or two days off, they would not be punished while they were home.

The main problem is kids: They are incredibly cruel to each other. Go into even the best behaved school, and you'll find bullying (females are much more subtle). Its inherent in the species.

Public Schools teach ALL kids. Eventually they can be expelled, but only AFTER the fact.

Parents, however, are supposed to teach compassion. This is done through modelling compassion. I leave it up to you, gentle reader, to ask yourself how you did this TODAY?

I think parents are so afraid of their kids getting in trouble that many don't feel that they're allowed to defend themselves. I always let mine know that they were. Meanwhile, I also let them know that their mother was an outcast, unacceptable even to the geeks. I fell upstairs and off the bus...my mother cut my hair and my father refused to allow blue jeans. It was hell. I was the only pothead to make the honor roll, so my small circle was proud come high school. Mine know that they have a responsibility not only to not participate, but to defend. After all, it could be somebody's mother. It could be their own.

Things are different now compared to when I was a kid. Fighting was a form of entertainment where I grew up. (Probably still is.) Bullying happened all the time.

A few weeks ago, my son was with a bunch of his friends when a few bullies jumped one of his friends. They gave him a few shots to the back of the head and ran off. A few minutes later, a couple of cop cars showed up. We spent an hour talking to the police and giving statements. Things sure have changed.

I think parents are so afraid of their kids getting in trouble that many don't feel that they're allowed to defend themselves. I always let mine know that they were. Meanwhile, I also let them know that their mother was an outcast, unacceptable even to the geeks. I fell upstairs and off the bus...my mother cut my hair and my father refused to allow blue jeans. It was hell. I was the only pothead to make the honor roll, so my small circle was proud come high school. Mine know that they have a responsibility not only to not participate, but to defend. After all, it could be somebody's mother. It could be their own.

There is something to what you're saying that I'd at least like to respond, although I'm not sure how it may be linked to bullying....but it might.

I'm really addressing Male v. Male bullying, although F v F might be less violent, its just as emotionally devestating.

The rules of behaviour, in schools, are......."feminized." What is acceptable as what some would say is "Free Expression," has become unacceptable physical violence. Boys, cannot be boys, per se. I'm not advocating violence, but it is the historical way that boys settle their differences, to the extent that IT IS be genetically coded.

If society (or schools) inhibit this natural, hormonally induced behaviour, perhaps bullying is the result? Maybe each school would do well to have their own "Fight Club," wherein boys could simply beat the shit out of each other.

Things are different now compared to when I was a kid. Fighting was a form of entertainment where I grew up. (Probably still is.) Bullying happened all the time.

A few weeks ago, my son was with a bunch of his friends when a few bullies jumped one of his friends. They gave him a few shots to the back of the head and ran off. A few minutes later, a couple of cop cars showed up. We spent an hour talking to the police and giving statements. Things sure have changed.

fighting is not the answer. the answer is trying to talk to kids who are getting bullied, yes bullying happens all the time but you can now be charge with assult if you try to fight.. these kids are been charge as adults thank god. yea they have change... this is more than bullying.. it was harrasment, stocking etc...

Ignorance is rampant on bullying of young children. Adults, especially men, turn their backs on it.
"Tough it up" is the worst kind of advice to tell a youngester about bullying. Usually, the kid being bullied has been beat down so many times that they accept the bulliers claimes that it is their fault they are being bullied.
2 kids in the last month in this area have committed suicide. One was a 14 year old girl that blew her brains out.
The problem is society. These are just kids. Wake up.

There is something to what you're saying that I'd at least like to respond, although I'm not sure how it may be linked to bullying....but it might.

I'm really addressing Male v. Male bullying, although F v F might be less violent, its just as emotionally devestating.

The rules of behaviour, in schools, are......."feminized." What is acceptable as what some would say is "Free Expression," has become unacceptable physical violence. Boys, cannot be boys, per se. I'm not advocating violence, but it is the historical way that boys settle their differences, to the extent that IT IS be genetically coded.

If society (or schools) inhibit this natural, hormonally induced behaviour, perhaps bullying is the result? Maybe each school would do well to have their own "Fight Club," wherein boys could simply beat the shit out of each other.

You believe the boy being bullied wants to fight?
The exact opposite is true and that is the problem. The aggressors need to be punished the first time and at home by their fathers. Violence is never acceptable under any conditions, especially the ones you propose.

Apparently the root of the problems are the bullys. Whatever happened to "zero tolerance"?

Obviously, parents of the bullys are not doing much to keep their kid from terrorizing and harassing fellow class mates. And schools no longer enforce capital punishment.

The school districts should just expel these kids. Then these parents would be forced to home school or find somewhere else to send their kids.

Bullies...who does not hate them?

There is an answer to that question, ya know.

The Cowards who inevitably back them up don't hate them.

I have yet to meet a bully who wasn't in his heart of hearts, basically a coward.

Apparently the root of the problems are the bullys. Whatever happened to "zero tolerance"?

Obviously, parents of the bullys are not doing much to keep their kid from terrorizing and harassing fellow class mates. And schools no longer enforce capital punishment.

The school districts should just expel these kids. Then these parents would be forced to home school or find somewhere else to send their kids.

The problem is parents don't want to believe there child is the one harmming someone its denial for them. the school distract attitude is turn a blind eye.

While I don't agree to your proposed solution (and don't schools already have a wrestling team?), I completely agree that the schools have been feminized to complete hostility to boyhood interests and all things male. I warned my son, and my nephews, that teachers approach them with fear, and that since there is nothing more dangerous to their future and present well being than fearful adults in positions of authority, they should seek to calm them with smiles and soothing voices. They'll have to be "all boy" outside of school.

The exact opposite is true and that is the problem. The aggressors need to be punished the first time and at home by their fathers. Violence is never acceptable under any conditions, especially the ones you propose.

Too often the bullying behavior is learned, at home, and taught by a father or other male in the household already. In the case of females, it is learned from the mother, either by acceptance or use. These are usually painful lessons, and learned well.

Um...I was kidding about "Fight Club." (I said I don't condone violence).

Nor, do I even know if there's any relationship between the opposing forces and bullying. One is Feminization of Socially Acceptable Behaviour ("we will all sit, still, in our seats, BEHAVE and not get dirty"). The other is Natural Male Behaviours (elevated and fluxuating testosterone levels in almost all male mammles can cause violence).

Perhaps, instead of fight club all males between the ages of 12 and 16 should be given 4 hours/day hard labor...splitting logs, plowing fields, breaking rocks.

I believe that all-schools should have very prominent anti-bullying programs in place. At my school - bullies are punished and so are people who sit around and laugh at what the bullies are doing. If this school district did not have a program in place, then they should absolutely have to answer for not taking the steps needed to do everything that they could to protect their students.

That being said...

I think that sometimes because almost all of us went through the public school system as students, because we all have memories of teachers we liked or hated, times we were bullied or teased or misbehaved (or were bullied or teased or mistreated) when we thought teachers had seen or should have done something...we think that teachers can somehow magically stop bullying, teasing, or kids being terrible to one another.

And all I can say is....Its a helluva lot harder than you think.

I'm not trying to excuse this school district if there were things that they could have done. All I'm trying to add to the discussion is the point that, as a teacher I can tell you that its not like you can just point at a student and say "Stop that!" and the problem goes away. In fact, even a comprehensive anti-bullying campaign doesn't always stop children from being rotten and evil to one another.

I...we think that teachers can somehow magically stop bullying, teasing, or kids being terrible to one another.

.... In fact, even a comprehensive anti-bullying campaign doesn't always stop children from being rotten and evil to one another.

:clap2:

Exactly: Some Kids are rather horrid....PERIOD.

They make all the headlines.

The problem is parents don't want to believe there child is the one harmming someone its denial for them. the school distract attitude is turn a blind eye.

I agree. And since the parents are in denial, the district should take more drastic measures to wake these parents up.

Look in the mirror folks. Girls are being told that its ok to have sex at a young age and with multiple partners. Then when they do they are called "sluts and ho's". Teens aren't as "enlightened and tolerant" as some of these oversexed adults seem to think. Fat kids are bullied more than anyone. How many fat jokes are posted on this board on a daily basis?

I've been through countless hours of anti-bullying training. All it has done has made teachers more aware. Its done NOTHING for the bullies and the bullied. There's no expulsion in NJ. And the kids are very very well aware of that fact. Kids are meaner and more violent than ever before. And who do we protect? Not the victims...

I believe that all-schools should have very prominent anti-bullying programs in place. At my school - bullies are punished and so are people who sit around and laugh at what the bullies are doing. If this school district did not have a program in place, then they should absolutely have to answer for not taking the steps needed to do everything that they could to protect their students.

That being said...

I think that sometimes because almost all of us went through the public school system as students, because we all have memories of teachers we liked or hated, times we were bullied or teased or misbehaved (or were bullied or teased or mistreated) when we thought teachers had seen or should have done something...we think that teachers can somehow magically stop bullying, teasing, or kids being terrible to one another.

I'm not trying to excuse this school district if there were things that they could have done. All I'm trying to add to the discussion is the point that, as a teacher I can tell you that its not like you can just point at a student and say "Stop that!" and the problem goes away. In fact, even a comprehensive anti-bullying campaign doesn't always stop children from being rotten and evil to one another.

the problem is that teachers saw this and did nothing. did not report it did not send them to admin office. did nothing. kow one said its going to be "easy" stoping bullying in fact it won't stop.

but the mother complain 3 times to the school distract. the school has no excuse in this section at all. and i even called the guy and ask told me what kind of school distract he is running and wow great job being very sarcastic

Forum List

Back