School staffs face tough questions on bullying

critter

Rookie
Sep 7, 2009
new hampshire
Tough question they should of been charge. my ass there tough questions. damn media is so much ignorance here

"OSTON – School officials in western Massachusetts didn't follow all the anti-bullying advice they were given months before a harassed freshman girl committed suicide, according to a consultant who offered the tips.

Barbara Coloroso said she consulted with parents and administrators months before 15-year-old Phoebe Prince hanged herself in January. Authorities say she endured months of verbal assaults and threats, mostly in school and in person, although some of the bullying occurred on Facebook and in other electronic forms.

"The questions to ask are: Did they follow their own rules and did they keep Phoebe safe? Obviously not. And, did they deal effectively with the bullies? Obviously not," Coloroso told The Associated Press Tuesday.

Nine fellow students face charges in connection with the girl's death, including two teen boys charged with statutory rape and a clique of girls charged with stalking, criminal harassment and violating Phoebe's civil rights. School officials won't be charged, even though authorities say they knew about the bullying.

School officials have not returned messages left by The Associated Press."

School staffs face tough questions on bullying - Yahoo! News

Opposing Views: Finally, Someone Stands Up for Phoebe Prince

At this point i am trying to see if i can reach my school board members here to start focus on this.

Another news on cnn blog...

"An 8 year-old-boy in Texas tried to commit suicide after his teacher did nothing about the bad bullying he faced every day. The school’s response: have him sign a ‘no suicide’ agreement. Apparently this is standard procedure in this school district. Any student who tries to harm him/herself has to sign it. But this kid is in second-grade…and dyslexic."

CNN Newsroom: Blog Archive - Second Grader?s No-Suicide Pact - Blogs from CNN.com

I already e-mail them putting the blame for this crap. aspect for the above one i could not find a e-mail for the admins...

An 8 year-old-boy in Texas tried to commit suicide after his teacher did nothing about the bad bullying he faced every day. The school’s response: have him sign a ‘no suicide’ agreement. Apparently this is standard procedure in this school district. Any student who tries to harm him/herself has to sign it. But this kid is in second-grade…and dyslexic."

Its not our fault he killed himself......he signed this piece of paper saying he wouldn't....what else could we do?

Yeah, it's only the libs that care about this kind of crap. Learn to stick up for yourself kid. Shoulda had more personal responsibility. It's a free country....it was her free choice.

(for all of you sarcasm-impaired people...nah, nevermind)

Yeah, it's only the libs that care about this kind of crap. Learn to stick up for yourself kid. Shoulda had more personal responsibility. It's a free country....it was her free choice.

(for all of you sarcasm-impaired people...nah, nevermind)

Yea...if the kid had a gun, she wouldn't have had this problem

(sarcasm noted)

It's a pleasure to see the sympathy for those that are preyed upon. The two clowns that posted above me must have been bullied at school.

a) you obviously didn't get the sarcasm
b) you have no clue about my history (I didnt get bullied fyi)

i would be kind of interested to know what makes a person think the needless deaths of two children is a good launching pad for a little political bullshit.

nah, i've met assholes before.

nevermind

• Banned
An 8 year-old-boy in Texas tried to commit suicide after his teacher did nothing about the bad bullying he faced every day. The school’s response: have him sign a ‘no suicide’ agreement. Apparently this is standard procedure in this school district. Any student who tries to harm him/herself has to sign it. But this kid is in second-grade…and dyslexic."

Its not our fault he killed himself......he signed this piece of paper saying he wouldn't....what else could we do?

first off he didn't kill himself, second off he drop from two storty window cause of bullying. this when a student was told to write this on a chalk board this means as much as an ant.

the teacher ignore the bully from the start. and he has dyslexic. if you think its students fault for suicide you are mistaking. and it was written on a chalk board.

hum... i think you need to do some research before commenting next time.

Last edited:

Why be sarcastic at all? These stories are not something that should be laughed at or made fun of. A life has been lost, show some respect.

School staffs face tough questions on bullying

This is just sad. Bullying is taken very seriously at my kid's school, so it rarely happens. A friend of mine's son was bullied and the school officials did nothing, so they changed schools. Crazy.

Did you see some of the comments for the Yahoo story?

If the school officials knew of the bullying that this girl was facing they need to be charged with criminal neglect in their failure to provide this girl with a safe place in which to be educated. The police should have been involved before it was too late for this girl.

The school officials and the parents of these animals should be in the cells right next to them.

My daughter was bullied endlessly and relentlessly at her old school...the school saw it as a 'girls will be girls' thing. They didn't have to see my daughter cry every day and slip into a depression over it, so they basically washed their hands of it. I was pretty much told if it was not physical, then to them it was just a catty girl thing that would work itself out. It never did...we ended up leaving the district.

Such a shame. Kids can be assholes.

The teachers should have addressed this after the parent told them what was going on. She must have been miserable.

Holy crap! Our school district has a very strict no bullying policy. All grades. They don't put up with shit. Works for me.

What kind of parents raise kids like these bullies?

Parents who don't take the time to notice how their kids are behaving. If that school would have taken action though, the girl might be alive today.

I hope this incident sparks some interest in bullying going on in other schools.

Here is the way I look at it.

1. I was a scrawny 140 pound kid when I was in high school and there were two dickheads that used to pick on me all the time. It was that experience though that got me motivated to start going to the gym and by the time I was half way through college I was 190 pounds and could bench 320 and have maintained that through today. So my point is that you can turn a negative into a positive.

2. I guarantee that this kid had a lot of other issues going on inside her head. Millions of kids have been bullied and you only rarely hear about a bullied kid killing them self.

3. Having said all of that, I agree that there should be more done to minimize it. Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. If someone got into a physical altercation at my office their employment would be terminated on the spot. A fight breaks out in school and a kid gets beaten so badly they have to go to the hospital and all that happens to the kid doing the beating is a ten day suspension and then he's right back in school. He should be expelled from the school district forever.

Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. If more school boards around the country would grow a set and hire administrators of the same mindset and eliminated the habitual problem students from the classroom you would see a big increase in the academic performance of the overall student body. Joe Clark, a high school principal in Patterson, NJ back in the 70s was a great example of cleaning up a problem school. They even made a movie about him.

i would be kind of interested to know what makes a person think the needless deaths of two children is a good launching pad for a little political bullshit.

nah, i've met assholes before.

nevermind

There's no need to insult with the word asshole. When you insult someone like that...you turn out to be the thing you hate.

FYI...You realize this is a political forum board, right? I never once said the kids deserved it. That was kind of the point of the sarcasm. I guess that escapes you.

What's amazing is that forum trolls like you come on here every day and some of them talk about "liberal bullshit" and "political correctness"...but then...when you see WHY WE NEED teachers who care about PC things like feelings...and cry-baby things like getting picked on...those same posters are never around.

So don't talk to me about assholes. Taking current events and putting them into perspective doesn't make me one.

Here is the way I look at it.

1. I was a scrawny 140 pound kid when I was in high school and there were two dickheads that used to pick on me all the time. It was that experience though that got me motivated to start going to the gym and by the time I was half way through college I was 190 pounds and could bench 320 and have maintained that through today. So my point is that you can turn a negative into a positive.

2. I guarantee that this kid had a lot of other issues going on inside her head. Millions of kids have been bullied and you only rarely hear about a bullied kid killing them self.

3. Having said all of that, I agree that there should be more done to minimize it. Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. If someone got into a physical altercation at my office their employment would be terminated on the spot. A fight breaks out in school and a kid gets beaten so badly they have to go to the hospital and all that happens to the kid doing the beating is a ten day suspension and then he's right back in school. He should be expelled from the school district forever.

Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. If more school boards around the country would grow a set and hire administrators of the same mindset and eliminated the habitual problem students from the classroom you would see a big increase in the academic performance of the overall student body. Joe Clark, a high school principal in Patterson, NJ back in the 70s was a great example of cleaning up a problem school. They even made a movie about him.

I think part of the problem is the zero tolerance policy that treats those who defend themselves on an equal or lesser par as the bullying, often subtle or hidden. Both get suspended. Any time my daughter or son (rarely, but it happened) was suspended for defending themselves, I let the school know that while I understand the whole zero tolerance thing, and that while I would not protest the one or two days off, they would not be punished while they were home.

I really hate the blaming of the schools here. THey can't possibly stop every kind of bullying, its impossible.

Our society seems to take this attitude that bullying is a part of growing up and kids are just being kids, but the fact of the matter is we send our kids to school and subject them to various threats day in and day out that we would never tolerate at our work place. . .....
Part of the problem with public education is that very few school districts have the balls to appropriately deal with problem students. They operate under this idea that they keep having to attempt to educate these children regardless of the fact that they fuck up the learning environment for everyone else just by being there. ......

You might have been correct..."B.C." ....Before Columbine. But All Public Schools now have anti-bullying programs that are taken very seriously (there are, of course, varying degrees of "very serious").

Witness the opposition's reference to "zero tolerance policy" for bullying:

I think part of the problem is the zero tolerance policy that treats those who defend themselves on an equal or lesser par as the bullying, often subtle or hidden. Both get suspended. Any time my daughter or son (rarely, but it happened) was suspended for defending themselves, I let the school know that while I understand the whole zero tolerance thing, and that while I would not protest the one or two days off, they would not be punished while they were home.

The "zero tolerance policy" isn't the problem.

The main problem is kids: They are incredibly cruel to each other. Go into even the best behaved school, and you'll find bullying (females are much more subtle). Its inherent in the species.

Public Schools teach ALL kids. Eventually they can be expelled, but only AFTER the fact.

Parents, however, are supposed to teach compassion. This is done through modelling compassion. I leave it up to you, gentle reader, to ask yourself how you did this TODAY?

Forum List

Back