School district's watermelon eating contest goes wrong... The kids who volunteered were all black...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Steelton-Highspire watermelon-eating contest causes furor in district

A watermelon-eating contest pictured in a social media post was an activity chosen by students trying to illustrate the benefits of good nutrition. But it also illustrated the need for education about racial stereotypes, said Steelton-Highspire School District superintendent.

Superintendent Travis Waters said the contest was a small part of a larger event called “Student Painted Palates.” The event was organized by a group of 11th grade students and a teacher.

The event included a number of events featuring music, poetry, and dancing. Students also wanted to add an element about healthy eating, and decided to include a food-eating contest, he said.

“Unfortunately, the food eating contest involved watermelon,” Waters said. “The kids who volunteered to take part in this activity were African American."

The photo posted on social media showed a small group of black students sitting on stage with watermelons on a table before them, and a high school Principal Kathryn Gallagher, photographing the event. It drew more than 1,000 comments, many from people decrying the activity as offensive and racist, others responding by defending the school officials involved.

The students who organized and volunteered to take part in the contest weren’t aware of the negative stereotype, Waters said.

Fifty-four percent of students in the school district are black or African-American, according to data from the state Department of Education.

The district issued a statement Thursday that it was looking into a “culturally insensitive activity.” On Friday, Water said he was drafting a letter to send to parents explaining what happened. He also is planning to have kids, teachers, and parents gather sometime next week to discuss the matter further.

While the students may have been unaware of the stereotype, Waters said it’s the responsibility of district adults to “have the right amount of eyes” and address situations like that this could be seen as offensive.

“We need to educate folks on stereotypes and the impact of negative stereotypes,” he said. “I don’t want (students) them to feel like they did anything wrong, but I do want them to understand that there is that negative stereotype out there.”

It appears the only people not outraged were the organizers and participants. Maybe these kids just like watermelon. :dunno:

A watermelon-eating contest pictured in a social media post was an activity chosen by students trying to illustrate the benefits of good nutrition. But it also illustrated the need for education about racial stereotypes, said Steelton-Highspire School District superintendent.

Superintendent Travis Waters said the contest was a small part of a larger event called “Student Painted Palates.” The event was organized by a group of 11th grade students and a teacher.

The event included a number of events featuring music, poetry, and dancing. Students also wanted to add an element about healthy eating, and decided to include a food-eating contest, he said.

“Unfortunately, the food eating contest involved watermelon,” Waters said. “The kids who volunteered to take part in this activity were African American."

The photo posted on social media showed a small group of black students sitting on stage with watermelons on a table before them, and a high school Principal Kathryn Gallagher, photographing the event. It drew more than 1,000 comments, many from people decrying the activity as offensive and racist, others responding by defending the school officials involved.

The students who organized and volunteered to take part in the contest weren’t aware of the negative stereotype, Waters said.

Fifty-four percent of students in the school district are black or African-American, according to data from the state Department of Education.

The district issued a statement Thursday that it was looking into a “culturally insensitive activity.” On Friday, Water said he was drafting a letter to send to parents explaining what happened. He also is planning to have kids, teachers, and parents gather sometime next week to discuss the matter further.

While the students may have been unaware of the stereotype, Waters said it’s the responsibility of district adults to “have the right amount of eyes” and address situations like that this could be seen as offensive.

“We need to educate folks on stereotypes and the impact of negative stereotypes,” he said. “I don’t want (students) them to feel like they did anything wrong, but I do want them to understand that there is that negative stereotype out there.”

It appears the only people not outraged were the organizers and participants. Maybe these kids just like watermelon. :dunno:

We had watermelon contests when I was in school. No racism involved. Every kid volunteered. :)

Viva la watermelon! It's watermelon season! :113:

I don't like that link, aaron. That site says it's a pic, but it's not a pic I don't think. User beware!

I don't like that link, aaron. That site says it's a pic, but it's not a pic I don't think. User beware!

It's actually a local news site. I worked in that area for a few years, and live only a few minutes away. That's what I found silliest about this "controversy". I know the area. Most of the town is black. Of course the kids who showed up would be black.

12392158976421.jpg

~S~

It's actually a local news site. I worked in that area for a few years, and live only a few minutes away. That's what I found silliest about this "controversy". I know the area. Most of the town is black. Of course the kids who showed up would be black.

Okay! Can you see the pic of them? If most of the kids are black, there ya go, derp!

Okay! Can you see the pic of them? If most of the kids are black, there ya go, derp!

Most of them weren't black. ALL of them were black. :lol:

We had watermelon contests when I was in school. No racism involved. Every kid volunteered. :)

It's not watermelon season here yet and I can't wait for it to come. I love watermelon! You're in Florida right? I guess you get them a lot earlier. My guy used to drive a big rig and one of his favorite runs was to go down to Florida and pick up the watermelons. The owner would always give him a couple to take with him.

Actually watermelon is really good for you. I keep on in my fridge all summer as a boost on hot days. It's a shame that an old stereotype has had to ruin something so delicious for a specific group of individuals.

What does that mean? Watermelon is the Lycopene Leader among fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.

Lycopene is a carotenoid that gives watermelon its red color, and it is only available in a few other foods, including tomatoes. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant. Researchers are finding increasing evidence that proper diet and nutrition are important factors in disease prevention. Watermelon contains higher levels of lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable (15 to 20 mg per 2-cup serving) and is part of a healthy diet.

Watermelon Board | Lycopene Leader

It's not watermelon season here yet and I can't wait for it to come. I love watermelon! You're in Florida right? I guess you get them a lot earlier. My guy used to drive a big rig and one of his favorite runs was to go down to Florida and pick up the watermelons. The owner would always give him a couple to take with him.
Picked up a mini melon last week and it was gone in an hour. We love Watermelon.

This really is amusing in the worst kind of way.

The students were unaware of the cultural meaning. It is up to the adults to educate the new generation of the connection between blacks and watermelon.

Or.

They might forget and the entire manufactured connection become meaningless. We can't have that, can we? Imagine the havoc in the world if a black child can have an ice cold watermelon on a hot day without anyone snatching it away. Chastise that child. Watermelon is racist. And don't you forget it either.

Public edumacation has failed these Black kids. We must have Racial History Awareness classes now! Courses should include studies on Spare Ribs, Fried Chicken, Watermelon, Afros, Jerry Curl, blackface and other important topics that must be passed onto another generation.

Most of them weren't black. ALL of them were black. :lol:

I can see that happening. I've gone to schools where I was the white spot.

At that school, the closest they got to watermelon was watermelon Fun Dip or Watermelon Kool-Aid.

Washtub with ice and watermelon in it on a hot day. Sounds good to me! :113:

Right now it's watermelon planting time, though, and kinda cool out.

Last edited:
Im confused.
Do the outraged want them to force white kids to do this, or did they want to oppress children over the color of their skin?

Forum List

Back