San Francisco Liberals Outlaw Storing Items in Your Own Garage

Everywhere in the world has codified ridiculous minutiae into law. It isn't just San Francisco.
Great non answer
The question wasn't about the world and laws, But YOU and this city ordnance

It's not a "city ordinance", it's building code. And since I haven't lived in San Francisco for 26 years, I have no frame of reference to compare.

It was created, amended and added to the codes per ordinance.

It is how a municipality works.

Would you support such a provision in your city code wherein governance over private parking is established ?

Great non answer
The question wasn't about the world and laws, But YOU and this city ordnance

It's not a "city ordinance", it's building code. And since I haven't lived in San Francisco for 26 years, I have no frame of reference to compare.

It was created, amended and added to the codes per ordinance.

It is how a municipality works.

Would you support such a provision in your city code wherein governance over private parking is established ?

I apologize for the confusion, I worded that in a weird way.

I live in San Francisco now - but I didn't live here 26 years ago when this building code was passed.

Would one of you post up the specific language in SF building codes that prohibit storing anything other than your car in single family home with a garage.

Anyone? Should be a piece of cake and I would like to read it cause I couldn't find it.

Would one of you post up the specific language in SF building codes that prohibit storing anything other than your car in single family home with a garage.

Anyone? Should be a piece of cake and I would like to read it cause I couldn't find it.

Read the second post in the thread, TM used it to prove she can't read.

How many time should the reg have to say "apartment building and hotels" for you assholes to realize they are talking about apartment building and hotels.

It's private property,

No need for more law or bigger government.

Private property can self-govern their guests and tenants.

Yea, you probably think it ok to block fire lanes in apartment buildings.

You don't even know if apartment building owners and hotel owners may have asked for this type of reg. Just to keep the mess in public areas under control.

You ever have to deal with tenants?

Like I said, building codes and fire codes go hand in hand. There are a lot of reasons to look at this from the cities and building owners POV.

Lets say you live in a build with no assigned parking. Four unit building, four spaces, Three of your "neighbors" fill up all four parking spaces with "stuff" they want to store. You park on the street. Car gets vandalized. All so people could store their junk in a space you should have been able to park.

You good with that to?

You really need to stop making further contributions to this thread because you're making a bigger ass of yourself with each comment.

:dig:

It's private property,

No need for more law or bigger government.

Private property can self-govern their guests and tenants.

You don't even know if apartment building owners and hotel owners may have asked for this type of reg. Just to keep the mess in public areas under control.

Like I said, building codes and fire codes go hand in hand. There are a lot of reasons to look at this from the cities and building owners POV.

Lets say you live in a build with no assigned parking. Four unit building, four spaces, Three of your "neighbors" fill up all four parking spaces with "stuff" they want to store. You park on the street. Car gets vandalized. All so people could store their junk in a space you should have been able to park.

You good with that to?

You really need to stop making further contributions to this thread because you're making a bigger ass of yourself with each comment.

Really? You ever been to San Fran? They have strange reasons for doing a lot of things.
I hypothesized a reason for the action. Along with a few others. Whether you find San Frans reasoning valid or not, don't know. Because no one has posted their "reasoning" for this particular building code. What problem were they trying to address?

What ever the reasoning, no where did the code say that, if you had a single family home with a garage, that you couldn't store things in your garage. That was the allegation of the thread author.

Now if you have that specific information, give it up, I will read it and type no more on this topic.

If you don't have that info to shut me up, you know how I am. Stfu.

Government, municipal government no less, is the answer to all of life's wrongs is the pervasive mindset in San Francisco.

Government has left that city and its people sorely wanting.

Posted on Friday, January 10, 2014 12:54:50 PM by Beowulf9

How far will the government go to infringe on your rights?

In San Francisco, residents aren’t even allowed to store their own belongings in their home.

Residents of the liberal city are banned from using their garage to store any personal property other than a vehicle. Chapter Six of the San Francisco Housing Code states, “Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.” Those who violate the law can be slapped with a $500 fine.

(Excerpt) Read more at americanoverlook.com San Francisco Liberals Outlaw Storing Items in Your Own Garage | American Overlook

Where does it stop? To what level of intrusion will Democrats go to govern every level of your personal – and professional life? Will Americans ever wake up to what's happening? Okay, so it only deals with hotels and apartment houses. What comes next?

:mad::mad::mad:

Well, it's really kind of stupid to fill your garage with worthless junk and let a car worth thousands of dollars sit out in the weather. Just my not so humble opinion. But really, you've gotta have some place to keep they lawn mower. Is their preference on that one in the living room? Or what?

What a stupid bunch. You get what you elect.

You good with that to?

Really? You ever been to San Fran? They have strange reasons for doing a lot of things.
I hypothesized a reason for the action. Along with a few others. Whether you find San Frans reasoning valid or not, don't know. Because no one has posted their "reasoning" for this particular building code. What problem were they trying to address?

What ever the reasoning, no where did the code say that, if you had a single family home with a garage, that you couldn't store things in your garage. That was the allegation of the thread author.

Now if you have that specific information, give it up, I will read it and type no more on this topic.

If you don't have that info to shut me up, you know how I am. Stfu.

Tell you what, here is the story as it appeared in the local paper. Feel free to peruse it and point out where it backs up your insistence that the law is about fire lanes. I actually live in SF, so I know how the story got reported by the local, extremely left leaning, media. If the local media, who have direct access to the actual code, didn't get the story up to your standards, I see no reason for you to hold media that picked up the story from them to a higher standard just because you want to defend a pathetic city full of pathetic whiners.

Then again, you are a pathetic whiner yourself, so I might see the need for you to defend your fellow assholes.

A push to abolish 'ridiculous' S.F. laws - SFGate

Last edited:

In San Francisco, residents aren’t even allowed to store their own belongings in their home.

Residents of the liberal city are banned from using their garage to store any personal property other than a vehicle. Chapter Six of the San Francisco Housing Code states, “Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.” Those who violate the law can be slapped with a $500 fine.

(Excerpt) Read more at americanoverlook.com San Francisco Liberals Outlaw Storing Items in Your Own Garage | American Overlook

Where does it stop? To what level of intrusion will Democrats go to govern every level of your personal – and professional life? Will Americans ever wake up to what's happening? Okay, so it only deals with hotels and apartment houses. What comes next?

Maybe there's a special problem with people in apartment houses and hotels storing clutter to the max, creating a fire risk for example?

Maybe with the garages full of 'stuff'...all the automobiles are parked outside...all over the place, creating chaos?

There's some reason the govt has done it...my guess is that the govt is not just power-crazy on this issue.

Maybe there's a special problem with people in apartment houses and hotels storing clutter to the max, creating a fire risk for example?

Maybe with the garages full of 'stuff'...all the automobiles are parked outside...all over the place, creating chaos?

There's some reason the govt has done it...my guess is that the govt is not just power-crazy on this issue.

Or, just a thought, the law is really stupid, which would explain why an ultra progressive city supervisor wants to get rid of it.

Are they talking about private, closed home garages, or are they talking about communal parking in apartment buildings like a breezeway or open-air carports? It makes sense not to let people stack their boxes of useless memorabilia in common apartment parking structures because A) it could potentially be a fire hazard and everyone doesn't need to be tripping over your garbage in a catastrophic emergency, and B) no one wants to look at your dusty piles of useless crap that you never use.

If you have a home with a closed garage, go ahead and keep all of your 4th grade book reports and highschool trophies in there. Hoard all of the meaningless junk that you want in your own private area. Just don't pile it up outside where it's an eyesore and might cause an obstruction during a life-and-death situation.

either way it is just one more reason to get out of that weird ass state

Beware of Garage Nazis :cuckoo:

You folks are fucking unbelievable. In a hotel, there are no assigned parking spaces. If some tenant in the motel fill up a couple parking spaces with their junk, you guys like that idea eh.

Block a fire lane, keep another guest from having a place to park. And you all think that great.

Or how about those apartments. Usually enough parking for the tenants and a few extras spaces. Of course you all are all for the idea that you can just store your shit in this unsecured parking area and its all gonna be there when you come for it.

Every city has a building code. And a fire code. And in many cities parking is at a premium.
The code is helping to keep standards that have been accepted in the community.

Maybe a building has parking spaces exposed to a street view. Maybe the community don't want those space filled up with a bunch of boxes, bags or whatever, for the world to drive by and look at.

You want a space to put your junk in? Buy a house with a big garage and load it up. Rent a storage locker. Whatever.

But fucking get a grip on just what it is you think is happening there (San Fran).

thats right everyone knows that apartment and motel owners

are not capable of running their parking spots

and that is why we need the government to step in

Forum List

Back