Russian Nuclear Submarine Surfaces Off US East Coast

How is Biden going to stop a sub from traveling in international waters?
He's not.

But that's not the point.

The point the OP is making is that Biden is so monumentally weak that Putin believes he can do as he pleases.

Now, with that said, I can't find anything about this on Fox, CNN, MSNBC or any of the 'big 3". It would be perfectly understandable to question the story's validity...

If the range of the Russian missiles is even as good as what the US had in the 1980s, they are capable of hitting a specific target in excess of 4,000 miles away from the sub.

In other words, they don't have to be close to be an actual threat. This is just Putin being an ass.

Invite Russia to join NATO and be done with all this bullshit. We could also use some help with Communist China.

He could have the US Navy quietly sink them, like they did back in the 80's. Subs on both sides mysteriously vanished during those days.
We have electronic warning nets underwater that are supposed to detect submarines. Our military is not defending the country anymore.

He's not.

But that's not the point.

The point the OP is making is that Biden is so monumentally weak that Putin believes he can do as he pleases.

Now, with that said, I can't find anything about this on Fox, CNN, MSNBC or any of the 'big 3". It would be perfectly understandable to question the story's validity...
We do the same to the Ruskies or do you think we have mothballed the 66 nuclear subs we have?

We have electronic warning nets underwater that are supposed to detect submarines. Our military is not defending the country anymore.

I spent 20 years as a US Navy Sonar Tech. There's something a person learns very early on in his career as a Sonar Tech: If a sub skipper doesn't want you to find him, you're probably not going to find him...

He could have the US Navy quietly sink them, like they did back in the 80's. Subs on both sides mysteriously vanished during those days.

Can you name one US sub that "mysteriously vanished" back in the 1980s? Or even one US sub that sank in the 1980s?

The Russkies have figured out that Uncle Jojo won't do shit about it.

Yes, and the problem is what exactly?

Guess what, children. The Soviets did this for decades, from the 1950's until the 1990's. Was every President from Ike to Bush Sr. weak also?

Welcome to Cold War 2.0 kiddies. Those of us old enough to remember the first one are all to familiar with this, and largely shrug. You all are so pampered from the last 30 years that you have no comprehension of what living with this for half a century was like. Soviet bombers orbiting a hundred miles or so off our shores, submarines and even entire battle groups a few dozen miles off shore. This was how we all lived for decades.

And just because they started doing it again, does not make the president "weak". No more than when the same thing happened during the Trump Administration weak. Or any other administration.

I spent 20 years as a US Navy Sonar Tech. There's something a person learns very early on in his career as a Sonar Tech: If a sub skipper doesn't want you to find him, you're probably not going to find him...

Thank you!! The idea that subs can be pinpointed easily is laughable.

He could ask(pay) IsNtReal to do it. They sunk Liberty with zero repercussions. G-d said it was OK

The Russkies have figured out that Uncle Jojo won't do shit about it.

That flaky bastard is gonna get us into a nuclear war

1644344988580.png

Thank you!! The idea that subs can be pinpointed easily is laughable.

Actually, it is pretty accurate.

Now I was never a SONAR tech, but as I worked in air defense with RADAR, most of the principals are largely the same. However, SONAR does have a huge advantage in that it can be passive. And you really can't have "Passive RADAR".

One thing the US is recognized for is their SONAR being the best in the world, especially their passive stuff. The advantage of passive SONAR is that it radiates nothing the sub can detect. They literally do not even know if they are sailing a quarter of a mile away from one. But the SONAR unit can easily track the sub, making it the ultimate in "blind man's bluff". And in things like this, the ultimate advantage goes to the one that is aware of the presence of the enemy, but the enemy is not aware of his.

Now the most accurate SONAR is active. That is where you go from simply listening to the other person to actively sending out signals to reflect off their hull. "Pinging" is the most known word for this, and it is a two edged sword. Yes you will likely pick them up if they are within range, but they can detect you at 2-4 times the range that you can detect them. In other words, the moment you "go active", everybody knows where you are, but you still may not know where they are.

And this is not even counting other systems we use to detect submarines that are entirely passive, like MAD.

Want to see what hunting subs is like? Check out an old WWII movie, "The Enemy Below". It is a pretty accurate depiction of what it was like then. Or if sci-fi is more your speed, the episode "The Balance of Terror" from the original Star Trek. Literally a remake of the same story but in space.

Actually, it is pretty accurate.

Now I was never a SONAR tech, but as I worked in air defense with RADAR, most of the principals are largely the same. However, SONAR does have a huge advantage in that it can be passive. And you really can't have "Passive RADAR".

One thing the US is recognized for is their SONAR being the best in the world, especially their passive stuff. The advantage of passive SONAR is that it radiates nothing the sub can detect. They literally do not even know if they are sailing a quarter of a mile away from one. But the SONAR unit can easily track the sub, making it the ultimate in "blind man's bluff". And in things like this, the ultimate advantage goes to the one that is aware of the presence of the enemy, but the enemy is not aware of his.

Now the most accurate SONAR is active. That is where you go from simply listening to the other person to actively sending out signals to reflect off their hull. "Pinging" is the most known word for this, and it is a two edged sword. Yes you will likely pick them up if they are within range, but they can detect you at 2-4 times the range that you can detect them. In other words, the moment you "go active", everybody knows where you are, but you still may not know where they are.

And this is not even counting other systems we use to detect submarines that are entirely passive, like MAD.

Want to see what hunting subs is like? Check out an old WWII movie, "The Enemy Below". It is a pretty accurate depiction of what it was like then. Or if sci-fi is more your speed, the episode "The Balance of Terror" from the original Star Trek. Literally a remake of the same story but in space.

I know what hunting submarines is like. I served on a nuclear FBM submarine in the 1980s. When we didn't want to be found, we could not be found. Passive sonar is great, but it relies on the sub making noise.

A perfect example was my boat running anti-submarine warfare tests after we came out of the shipyard in 1982. Numerous surface ships, including the aircraft carrier the USS Enterprise were involved. There were 3 colors of flares that were launched from the sub. Red is we were "hit" or pinpointed with a shooting solution. Green if we "hit" them. And yellow when they requested our location. Operations were cut off early on the first day because my boat, the USS James Madison SSBN 627, ran out of yellow flares.

Or in 1983 when the Capt of the James Madison sent a polaroid snapshot to the CO of the stern of his ship, the USS America CVA-66. The task force she was leading ran up on us, unknowingly, when we were on patrol. The CO of the James Madison came to periscope depth in the wake of the America, took the pic and then dove back down without the crew of the USS America ever knowing we were there. Our Capt added the word "Gotcha" to the polaroid when he sent it.

Forum List

Back