Rural Oregon counties vote to discuss seceding from state to join ‘Greater Idaho’

This is the notion that NW Oregon has 2/3's the population ... so what's good for Portland etc becomes State Law ... even if these new laws work poorly out here in the sticks ...

That measure failed here, we already have a State capital at Redding ... with a state legislature under the legal mandate of never meeting ...

What's the difference? life goes on either way!

The problem with that idea....is that they lack the authority to do it.

You need the consent of other States to become a State. You don't just 'declare it' an start electing your Senators.

You need the consent of other States to become a State. You don't just 'declare it' an start electing your Senators.

They want to become part of Idaho, not a new state

At the very least, they'd need the consent of both States. And most likely, the consent of the several states.

I don't see any of that happening.

A perfect example of why the founding fathers adopted the electoral college, the prevention of large metropolitan areas in gaining absolute control over smaller populated areas for their own benefit.

Hell all you need to do is win Seattle and the burbs, or Potland and Salem and it’s all yours to rule as you see fit. That way you can escape the sewer for wide open spaces in your park.

FOX News reports:

New data from the U.S. Census Bureau shows that Americans are increasingly moving to the northern and western United States.⁣

In 2019, when the American Community Survey showed 200,000 fewer people moved than the year before, the states with the highest percentages of transplants were west of the Mississippi River.⁣

In Wyoming, 30,247 of some 572,884 residents lived in a different state in 2018. U.S. News noted Wednesday that most moved from California and Colorado. California lost about 173,000 of its more than 39.5 million residents in 2019 compared with 190,122 residents in 2018.⁣

At the very least, they'd need the consent of both States. And most likely, the consent of the several states.

Worked for the colonies.

Worked for the colonies.

Not so much for South Carolina though.

Medford would make for a better site for the capital of Jefferson.

More centralized.

Worked for the colonies.

South Carolina is still under British rule?

Worked for the colonies.

Its still part of the US, despite writing its own articles of secession.

Worked for the colonies.

That dispute was settled already.

Worked for the colonies.

That dispute was settled already.

4 years later.

I doubt that the oregon counties would have much better luck without the consent of the States.

Forum List

Back