Texas City now Looking to Ban Abortion

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Amarillo set to join the Texas Counties prohibiting their roads being used to travel for out of state abortions.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/13/abortion-travel-ban-amarillo-texas/AMARILLO — Near the tip of the top of the state, Amarillo is far from the Capitol in Austin, Dallas’ busy downtown, and Houston’s congested highways. The “floating” city in the Panhandle is often forgotten by much of the state, residents say. Most of the country has never heard of their home.
That changed when the Amarillo City Council took up a proposed abortion travel ban in October. The debate put an unfamiliar spotlight on the city — activists flocked to Amarillo, national organizations joined local efforts, and council members' phones rang off the hook.

Adding to the public interest was how the council responded to it. Led by Mayor Cole Stanley, the five-member council said they would not rush to approve it. Unlike other city and county officials, Amarillo’s leaders punted the issue in a rare step that would allow more thoughtful consideration and input from residents.

The conversation is set to continue. The council announced Tuesday it will consider the ordinance during a Dec. 19 meeting. The council will use that meeting to navigate “the right way forward,” Stanley said. The news comes as Texas makes national headlines once again for its restrictive abortion laws — a Dallas woman left the state this week to terminate a non-viable pregnancy after a losing legal battle to obtain one here.

The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Council members have not signaled how they could change the ordinance since it was originally presented.

With a vote on the travel ban in Amarillo looming, residents including abortion activists, health care workers and legal professionals, are worried. Their top concern: This ordinance would create an atmosphere of fear and make it more difficult to access standard health care in this largely rural area of the state where people have to travel long ways for care as is.

“So many rural counties are maternal health care deserts, and things like this ordinance just worsens it,” said Fariha Samad, an Amarillo resident and member of the Amarillo Reproductive Freedom Alliance. “It creates an atmosphere of fear.”

Even though Texas has a near-total ban, the proposed travel ordinances are the next fight for access. The so-called travel ban would outlaw the use of Amarillo’s roads to transport a pregnant person for an abortion in another state, opening the door for lawsuits from private Texans against anyone who “aids and abet” the procedure. The lawsuits are the only enforcement mechanism for the ordinance.

Amarillo set to join the Texas Counties prohibiting their roads being used to travel for out of state abortions.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/13/abortion-travel-ban-amarillo-texas/AMARILLO — Near the tip of the top of the state, Amarillo is far from the Capitol in Austin, Dallas’ busy downtown, and Houston’s congested highways. The “floating” city in the Panhandle is often forgotten by much of the state, residents say. Most of the country has never heard of their home.
They are going to start patrolling the state highways and interstate highways for pregnant women, trying to escape?

Im pro-life and welcomed the overturning of Roe but this is ridiculous. You cannot legislate morality and trying to criminalize freedom of movement is absurd. I suspect that these kinds of efforts may eventually lead to enough support for a federal statute to pass that guarantees the right in all the states.

Great, now maybe Illinois can ban traveling outside of the state to buy a gun.

Im pro-life and welcomed the overturning of Roe but this is ridiculous. You cannot legislate morality and trying to criminalize freedom of movement is absurd. I suspect that these kinds of efforts may eventually lead to enough support for a federal statute to pass that guarantees the right in all the states.
This would be struck down like a bolt of lightning.

I wish more politicians would mind their own businesses and stay out of peoples private lives
I wish more people would keep their pants on when, or use the most effective form of contraception, and double up on it so they do not become impregnated

You think so? Freedom doesn't include killing the most innocent of all

Don't go to Texas, you'd get hurt
LMAO. Texas is a shithole. Let me give you some rankings.

Crime and Corrections 36
Education 35
Health Care 32
Natural Environment 40
Opportunity 47
Health Care Access 47

Damn, if I wanted to go somewhere where I had no damn opportunity and would probably die before I could find a damn doctor, well Texas would be the place to go.

Forum List

Back